Author Topic: EAA Witness Firing Pin Safety Recall Serial #s AE00000 - AE70000  (Read 54452 times)

Offline eric0424

Re: EAA Witness Firing Pin Safety Recall Serial #s AE00000 - AE70000
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
Can everybody see pictures 2, 3 and 4 I posted above??  Someone e-mailed me yesterday and said they were having trouble with the last tree images and I had to refresh this page to see them myself once before.  I thought it might be both of us using the Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer, but wondered if anyone else had a problem with them.

Offline mikechandler

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
Could this be related to the problems I am having?

The gun has both double tapped and jammed up! When it jammed the last time it was locked up pretty bad.

The firing pin safety seems to to be at fault - it has a deep cut groove in the milled notch - and the firing pin manages to go past it and get locked there.

I started looking at the firing pin safety as there is considerable roughness racking the slide. I can't figure out exactly why. I disassembled the firing pin and firing pin safety and found that issue.

Furthermore, there are faint ridges on the rails of the slide and frame, where they contact. I think they may be related to the trigger group tangs that extend into the magazine well - those are rough moving up and down, and may be causing the mechanical resistance when racking it multiple times after it's cocked.

What a mess - I wonder if a new slide and polishing the trigger group will fix this. I've contacted the guy who sold me the gun, but he is ignoring me.

Go figure.

I created a thread to discuss the problem with my specific gun, as it may not be related.
GO HERE: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=44774.0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:02:41 PM by mikechandler »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Could this be related to the problems I am having?

Doubtful as I think you have another issue which I have responded to, but I would just order the parts and install them.

I would just get new Firing Pin Lock Piston/Block, Related Spring, New Firing Pin and Firing Pin Return Spring.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline copterdrvr

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:47 AM »
Heck, for test purposes, I'd just remove the firing pin safety and go shoot the gun.  If it works, there's your answer...

Offline Aran

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »
This is an old thread, but does anyone know if this is an ongoing recall campaign even in 2018? I bought my AE prefix Witness in 2007 so if the recall went out in 2008 I wouldn't have seen it since this is the first I've heard of it. Mine's definitely in the recall range (33xxx)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »
This is an old thread, but does anyone know if this is an ongoing recall campaign even in 2018?

I believe it is still ongoing, but the only way to really know is to call EAA and see if your Pistol was ever returned for such service.
Also, find out their current terms for shipping, as to whether they will cover shipping cost.

That said, were it mine, I would just buy a new Firing Pin and Firing Pin Spring. Probably cheaper than shipping the whole Pistol.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything