Author Topic: help for a new guy?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline I8BAMBI

help for a new guy?
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
I just picked up this pistol last night.  I wasn't really looking for a new pistol, but I couldn't pass up the deal, and it's in 10mm.

The slide/bbl on the pistol is in 40, and the extra slide/bbl is in 10mm.  I don't know which was the original and which is the conversion as I bought it used.

I got everything that is in the picture and it all came in a nice little range bag... 8)

Now for my first question.  Everything that I read lead me to believe that these come with 15 round mags.  I did find something that said that some(?) were imported with 10 rounders.  Well, I can't get more than 9 rounds in any of the mags.  Is this a common problem?  Are the springs THAT tight?  Am I just an idiot and doing something wrong? 

Is there a way to tell if they are supposed to hold 10 or 15?  I pulled one mag apart and could stack 15 rounds inside and then put the follower in and it all seemed to fit.  However, that would have left little room for the spring.

anyway, any help or info would be appreciated.

Offline Gary1911A1

Re: help for a new guy?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
I would just load the magazines with as many rounds as I could and then just let them stay that way and try to put an additional round in them each week. The red follower suggest 15 rounds and if you were able to get 15 rounds in them with the follower they are 15 round mags and just haven't been used. Looks like you got the Witness with the older more square slides which is a good thing. Enjoy your new pistol!

Offline bang bang

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »
try removing the follower and take a pic for us.  jic its something about the follow.  the only 10 rounders ive seen were the ones with the plastic bottom that replaces about 1/4 of the mag. 

one thing about buying used is that you donw know what changes the original ownder(s) did.

i would buy a known 15 round mag and compare the 2.  after all you will be able to use it.

btw, the springs are stiff.  i would also get a mag loader too. evntually you WILL want one.

Offline I8BAMBI

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
thanks guys,

I'll get some pics of the mags up shortly.

Offline saym14

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
could it be these are California mags - california is limited to 10 rounds. 

Offline detroiter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
    My 40 s&w mags look exactly the same and they hold 15 rounds. I bought them new off of some guy here and I just loaded one up to see and it held 15, although I usually only put 10 in it anyway. If you need me to disassemble one for comparison let me know, would be happy to help. You could have some Clinton era mags?
    BTW nice setup you have there. Although those barrels should be interchangable between the slides, I'm pretty sure from what I've read here you can use the 10 mags for your 40 as well. Your paper work will probably tell you the original configuration on the caliber.
    Heck if you were interested, I have a 40 s&w compact top end, blued finish, just like yours but an inch shorter (actually 7/8) we could swap slides, I'll even trade a mag with you. If either didn't fit right we'd just switch back.
    Your probably not to interested but I thought I'd throw it out there. I already have a compact .45 top end and would like to have a 40 full size and get a 10 barrel for it