Author Topic: Has anyone loaded BOTH Precision Delta 124gr fmj AND Montana Gold 124 cmj?  (Read 6205 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
  I know I'm not likely to find out what I need to know ,but here goes anyway.

PD stopped making 124gr fmj 9mm for a while; so I switched to Montana Gold because of availability.

The MG 124gr cmj measure the same length as the PD 124gr fmj (the PDs chrono'd 132 PF );  so I loaded them exactly the same  and test fired 20 rounds.  They shot well and FELT about the same as the PDs, but I know from experience that's not a reliable test.

Unfortunately, my buddy with the chrono shot his out of season, so I couldn't chrono the MGs.

Has anyone loaded both of these bullets and chrono'd them to get a comparison.  I'm trying to avoid loading up hundreds and finding out they don't make PF or are are too hot.  I need the cartridges before the chrono heals.

Thanks even if no such luck.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:12:51 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
I've shot the PD 124gr RN and the MG 121gr IFP, but I've got no chrono data on either. Sorry.

In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
rf:  Thanks anyway.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Of the 2, I can tell you I'm currently shooting the PD 124gr RN in my SP-01 (4.0gr N230) with excellent results...

But I can't wait to try the 121gr MG in the same gun with the same powder. This because the PD shows lead on the aft end, while the MG shows lead on the fore end. I really try to avoid bullets with plain lead placed against burning powder. Just a personal practice based solely on my age and health condition, nothing to do with accuracy. I would gladly order only PD, but all their 9mm bullets have exposed lead on the powder end.

:-\
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Stuart

haven't tried the PD bullets...but I shoot the MG 124CMJ and 124JHP pretty regularly. 4.2 of N320 runs about 131 PF from me..this is from a couple of SP01s and 75Bs.

Offline hk_mtbr

eerw -

What's your OAL? Do 9mm get a crimp?

I just got 2k of MG 124 CMJ today in the mail...so I plan to start working them up soon...my mail man hates me.  ;D

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
I loaded the PD 124gr FMJ with 3.8grs of N320 at 1.13 and had a 132 PF/1065fps in cooler weather ---75 +/-degs.  It's 100 degs now!

(My 75B needed the light  11# recoil spring with this load---shot very clean)

The MG 124gr CMJs are the same length , and I'm hoping they shoot close to the same with the above load.  I loaded 300. :-\

hk_mtbr :  My mailman shot with me at the range,  tried my 9mm 75B and bought one.  He delivers my supplies with a grin.   ;D

9mm gets a light tapered crimp.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:11:35 PM by 1SOW »

czprime

I load my Montana Gold 124 gr CMJ with 4.3 gr of Winchester 231, Winchester Small Pistol primers, 1.0135 OAL and light crimp. This load will shoot 2" or smaller groups out of my SP01 at 25 yards.  At 7 yards off hand it groups 0.6" when I do my job. Light recoil and very fast for shooting steel.  I use a Dillon 550 with Lee Deluxe dies and Lee factory crimp die. Hope this helps.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Stuart, What's your OAL for the MG CMJ?  If we are about the same, our chronos don't agree.  The one I use is an low end 'Chrony', but has been consistent on different outings.   :-\
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:14:52 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Stuart

I'll go double check

anything