Author Topic: 9mm Cases getting stuck in die  (Read 3627 times)

czprime

9mm Cases getting stuck in die
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:08:30 AM »
Lately I have had some problem cases getting stuck in my sizing die. I am loading mixed 9mm Para cases picked up at the range that have been tumbled in corn cob.  There seems to be no general trend in which cases get stuck and none seem to show any excessive pressure signs. Case gets stuck in the die and then the rim gets ripped of on the reverse stroke by the shell holder plate.  I am using Lee carbide die that is relatively new. Since the rim is ripped off I unscrew the die and then hammer the stuck case out using a brass punch. It seems to happen about once in 150 to 200 rounds on the average.  I have tried lubing a case every 30 to 50 cases but it does not really seem to help. The die shows no apparent scratches inside, mirror smooth when inspected.  Any advice? 

Offline E.Shell

Re: 9mm Cases getting stuck in die
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:37 AM »
When removing my cases from the tumbler, I drop them onto an old towel and briskly rub them in the towel to remove any dust. The treated corncob media I use will leave a light layer of dust that cannot be good for the dies.

If you're not getting dust on the case, I don't know why they'd stick in a carbide die and IMO, the next thing would be to send it back to Lee for a checkup.

Even if the cases are oversize from being fired in a questionable gun, the carbide die should handle them fine. Are you getting any scratched cases from the die?
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »
This isn't common with carbide dies, but does happen on occasion.  Try lubing one out of ten cases and see if that cures the problem. 

I routinely tumble my brass twice.  Once in corncob with polishing compound from Berry's Manufacturing, then for a short period of time in a second tumbler with untreated corncob to remove any polishing residue.  This eliminates the fine scratching that sometimes occurs from polish residue being left on the cases.

If the stuck case condition continues, then I'd call the die manufacturer and see what they suggest.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline bang bang

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
+1 on the dry corn cob.  the dry corn cob will polish your brass, but i find its really dusty and the media will eventually break down and have alot more dust.  if you want to still use your corn cob, try adding some polish media.

you dont say what press youre using either.  i noticed that the lee shell plaes can be a tad loose since they are multi caliber use. 

whatever you do, if you do add some polish to your media, i would clean your dies before you start up since alot of gunk can buildup in them.

czprime

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am using a Dillon 550 and tumbling in corncob with Dillon polishing compound, maybe I am not using enough compound.  My tumbler is a Lyman Turbo 2500 with Autoflow as I  am a high volume shooter. I will seeif the towel trick works and then see if playing with my media and polishing compound helps.  Usually I am running about 1000 cases through the tumbler at a time, and yes, I see the corncob breakdown.  I discard my media when it gets a uniform gray and tumbling takes too long to get polish, about 4 - 5 cycles.  I also have some walnut media (20 Lbs for $12 when I bought it) but have not started using it yet.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »
   One lube method I picked up here might help:

I use a wax-base case lube (Lee) diluted with alchohol in a plant spray bottle.   I grab a handful of brass, lay them in a coffee can lid and give them a light spray or two.  I roll them around a little to cover all sides and let them dry for a couple of minutes. 

I can tell the difference when pulling the handle.  The lubed cases pull noticeably smoother than unlubed.

I use one of the "lightly" lubed cases every other brass I load.  No stuck or even sticky cases in 2000 so far.

czprime

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »
Thanks. Will try that. Need to get spray bottle first.  What ration of lube to alcohol do you use?  So far I have loaded close close to 15K rounds or so. My demand has slowed a bit this year as I am not competition shooting this season, doctor's orders. I am mostly loading  for occasional range trips right now. Down to only 9K primers anyway unless my backorder from Cabela's arrives soon. . 

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I am using a Dillon 550 and tumbling in corncob with Dillon polishing compound, maybe I am not using enough compound.  My tumbler is a Lyman Turbo 2500 with Autoflow as I  am a high volume shooter. I will seeif the towel trick works and then see if playing with my media and polishing compound helps.  Usually I am running about 1000 cases through the tumbler at a time, and yes, I see the corncob breakdown.  I discard my media when it gets a uniform gray and tumbling takes too long to get polish, about 4 - 5 cycles.  I also have some walnut media (20 Lbs for $12 when I bought it) but have not started using it yet.  Will let you know how it turns out.

heres what was told to me.

Corncob = Polish

Walnut = Clean

ive found that walnut doesnt to a bad job of "polishing" but i use it more for the cleaning.  I always keep the older/dirty stuff to clean and remove the dirt/grime from range brass.  eventually it will get tossed, but after its almost black in color. 

also, if you do add any polish to your media, make sure you run it open top and for at least an hour to dry the polish.  I will toss in a couple peices of brass and let them run for 15 minutes and see if any media sticks to the brass.

that could be your problem too, if your polish in the media isnt dry.  take a handful of brass after you have polished them.  turn the cases over to empty the media and if any is sticking in the case, i would say your media isnt "dry".

one last note, you really shoulnt have to run your brass longer then 1 hour to get them shiny.  if you really want the mirror like, it will take longer, but i think its a waste of time/$$$.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
czprime:  I think it was 10 parts alcohol to 1 part Lee case lube. 

By the way, be SURE to shake the spray bottle well before every spray.  The wax-base lube will separate from the alcohol.

It takes very little to lube pistol cases, and a quarter cup of mixture will do A LOT of cases.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »
Been using walnut to tumble with for years, never had a stuck case in my Lee carbide die. I would contact Lee, too, and ask them, good customer service.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Just for the sake of helping I'll throw in my 2 cents. Your issue is one of lubrication. Here's how I handle that....

1) I always pour a cap full of liquid car polish you can get at WalMart and other auto accessory stores into my tumbler with each new load of brass. The stuff comes in a bright orange bottle and is called NuFinish. This leaves a very fine coat of wax on each brass case and the brightness stays exceptional for months. The wax is also acts as a lube.

http://nufinish.com/products_polish.html

2) Even though I use carbide dies, I'm not loading so fast that I don't have time to inspect and roll each case on a lube pad. I hardly ever add lube to the pad, but I do roll each case. This adds another very thin coating of case lube.

I see a lot of people using carbide dies, but all the literature I've read says that carbide cuts the amount of required lube, not that it totally eliminates the need for case lube. Reloader Fred's idea to lube 1 of every 10 cases seems to be about the correct reduction in lube. I chose my method in an effort to reduce the chances of excessive lube causing a failure-to-fire during competition.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:28:38 PM by rfwobbly1 »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.