Author Topic: CZ P-06 report  (Read 70468 times)

Offline xl_target

CZ P-06 report
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:50:18 AM »
I picked up my CZ P06 on Friday. I was unable to get to the range till today.
I got there at 1:00 pm and the range closed at 2:00 pm so I didn't have much time but was able to run 100 rounds through it.

The CZ P06
The pistol comes in a black plastic box which is encased in a  cardboard box emblazoned with the CZ-UB logo.

The label on the cardboard box (with serial number blanked out). I did not pay the $626 listed on the box  :D

The Plastic box contains the Pistol, spare magazine, mag loader, instruction manual, cleaning rod, brush, warranty info and the paper showing the five shot factory group shot while testing the gun.

Features
The CZ P 06 is a 10 + 1 round .40 S&W semi auto pistol made in the Czech Republic by the makers of the famous CZ 75 pistol.
It has a forged alloy frame that it shares with the CZ P 01 (9mm) pistol.
The frame has a rail built into it allowing for the use of a light ot laser.
The factory grips are checkered rubber and provide a very positive grip. Crimson Trace laser grips are also available for it.
It is equipped with a frame mounted decocker in lieu of a safety.
The beavertail allows a high grip giving a low bore axis in relationship to the hand.
The slide rides inside the frame unlike most semi auto pistols.
The recoil spring guide rod is polymer but seems to function fine. Aftermarket stainless steel guide rods are available.
The pistol is finished with CZ-UB's standard "polycoat" which has a semi satin sheen.
Magazines are blued steel and the magazine bases are black polymer.

Meprolight Tru Dot night sights

Takedown
Decocking is positive and the hammer stops short of the firing pin. The decocked position is what is shown in all the photos in this post (except the ones dealing with take down).
Take down is standard CZ. Remove the magazine and cycle the slide to clear any rounds in the chamber. Line the two marks up (on the rear of the frame and the slide) and push out the slide stop lever from the right hand side. Then move the slide forward off the frame. The recoil spring with rod and the barrel are removed as with most semi auto pistols. In the lower photo, it looks like the polycoat is worn off the rails but its just the flash reflecting off the grease.

Range Report
I was in a hurry to beat the range closing time and my glasses kept foggin up but all excuses aside, the gun is capable of better accuracy than I can manage at this time. The double action pull is long and the single action pull is a tad gritty with some stacking before letoff. My other CZ has a really sweet trigger so I'm sure this one will smooth out with use. Recoil was very low compared to other .40 S&W pistols that I've fired. There was very little muzzle flip and most of the recoil seemed to be a gentle push backwards into the web of my hand. My 9mm SIG P6 seems snappier than this! I was impressed. Targets were shot at 10 yards and 7 yards.

I tried two different types of ammo. I ran 50 rounds of Federal Champion 180 grain FMJ Flat Nose and 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 165 Grain FMJ Flat Nose through it. The 165 gr. wWB seemed to have a little more felt recoil to it but the recoil from the 180 gr Federal round was low.

Feeding, ignition and ejection were flawless. No issues there. The magazines holds 10 rounds. Loading the last round is a chore as the springs are pretty stiff. My Uplula made short work of that though. With one in the chamber, I had to seat the magazine with a firm smack. Hopefully this will ease up a little as the magazine springs break in. According to CZForum.com, Mecgar 12 round .40 S&W mags are available for the full size CZ75B (that will fit flush with the installation of CZ SP01 9mm base plates).

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:19:14 PM by xl_target »

Offline kincade

• CZexy
Re: CZ P-06 report
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:44 AM »
Alot of detail in your post, which will be helpful for future buyers. Btw the Mecgar mags have a 12 rnd capacity. Nice shooting and welcome to club P-06, thanks for report.

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »
Very nicely done!!!  Top notch work.  This needs to become a "Sticky"

Offline zzw30

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
Well written.  Thanks for the read.

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
Kincade:  The 40 cal factory holds 12rd.  Mine and I'm not in a restricted magazine capacity State, holds 12.  The P-06 as mentioned on the CZ-UB website holds 10, as does my 40 P-06.  Is there an after-market Mec-Gar that holds twelve in the P-06?  My 40cal SP-01 magazines fit my P-06, albeit they hang out about 3/4 - 1 inch. I'm always looking for more capacity. Everyone hates to carry extra magazines....until your into the suck!!!  Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:54:41 PM by CZ75BRocks »

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
Excellent write up and great photos BTW.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline kincade

• CZexy
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
CZ75Brocks,

Feeding, ignition and ejection were flawless. No issues there. The magazines holds 10 rounds. Loading the last round is a chore as the springs are pretty stiff. My Uplula made short work of that though. With one in the chamber, I had to seat the magazine with a firm smack. Hopefully this will ease up a little as the magazine springs break in. According to CZForum.com, Mecgar 13 round mags are available that will fit flush (with CZ SP01 base plates).
Just correcting what I thought was a 12 rnd capacity in Mecgar mags. There is no 12 rounder made specifically for the P-06, though CZ USA should provide them with the extended baseplate, but the P-06 will hold the 75b .40 mags, the 40p and your SP-01 .40cal mags,( from what I've read).
 I too believe xl_target's post deserves a sticky.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:35:31 PM by kincade »

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
You read correctly.  The SP-01 40cal holds 12rd and will fir in a P-06.  They do extend ~3/4" when a SP-01 mag is inserted in a P-06.  The odd part of this whole epic is the 9mm SP-01 has that funny little extension like you see on the P-06 40cal mag. 
  The 40cal SP-01 has a "flush" mgagzine like the 9mm P-01.  Personally, I don't care for that weird little extension like you have on the P-06 40cal amg and the SP-01 9mm mag.  It tends to "stick out" under a shirt. But, it is what it is.

Offline xl_target

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like my report. I have corrected my post to reflect observations about the magazines made by kincade and others.

Offline kincade

• CZexy
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:05 AM »
You read correctly.  The SP-01 40cal holds 12rd and will fir in a P-06.  They do extend ~3/4" when a SP-01 mag is inserted in a P-06.  The odd part of this whole epic is the 9mm SP-01 has that funny little extension like you see on the P-06 40cal mag. 
  The 40cal SP-01 has a "flush" mgagzine like the 9mm P-01.  Personally, I don't care for that weird little extension like you have on the P-06 40cal amg and the SP-01 9mm mag.  It tends to "stick out" under a shirt. But, it is what it is.
The mag that comes with extended base plate is considerably longer than the mag that fits flush. My uneducated guess is there must be a surplus of these full-sized 10 rnd .40 mags left from when the Brady Bill was in effect. Instead of two taylor-fitted mags, you get one of each :-\  I don't like carrying around that extension either, maybe if it were 12 rounder. The SP-01 9mm mags is a mystery to me.

Offline Ross7

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
Great report and pics xl_target. My next handgun purchase is most likely gonna be in .40S&W (a caliber I don't have), and I really like my PCR so I've been eyeballing the P-06. Reports like yours are very helpful.

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:09 PM »
The gun is truly fabulous!

WE have never heard or seen any problems from the P-06.

Should I ever make the move to .40, this model is what I'd get!

Offline 1boredguy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:35 AM »

thanks for sharing the photos, I might get one later.

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »
Re: the P-06 and it's weird little magazine extension.  Oh, don't get me wrong; it's a little harder to conceal than a P-01, but 10 big holes isn't bad. But most importantly, it's extremely accurate!  OK, it's a CZ that explains that, but it's a lighter package package than my Combat Commander and carries 2 additional rounds. 

Offline xl_target

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »
600 rounds later, no malfunctions.
The trigger has smoothed out extremely well.

Quote from: CZ75BRocks
But most importantly, it's extremely accurate!
CZ75Rocks,
I'm getting better with it. That's 5 rounds at 21 feet.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:29:11 PM by xl_target »