Author Topic: Installing the Cajun Gun Works Trigger Kit in my CZ  (Read 8292 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline billc_sbio

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 18
Installing the Cajun Gun Works Trigger Kit in my CZ
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
Yesterday morning I picked up one of the now discontinued CZ Compact .40s from my FFL Dealer that I'd found online for a "Nice Price".  

After a quick range check yesterday afternoon to make sure the pistol was functional with no serious hiccups that would entail returning it to CZ, last night I proceded with "Product Upgrades".  :)

Having already experienced the stock Trigger Pull, and wanting an improvement on a recently purchased 75B SS, I had checked around on the various options and felt that trying out the Trigger Kit/s offered here would be the route that I wanted to pursue.

By carefully following the disassembly steps already outlined on this Forum topic I proceded.  I already had the CGW Trigger Kit #3 in hand.  (This was a pre-planned "project" and getting the .40 Compact with its conventional Safety vs. a Decocker is why I chose that pistol vs. a P01 or a P06)

All steps shown there were followed here, so there was no need to document them over again.

Installing the new Adjustable Sear and modified Shadow Hammer was easy and straight forward providing you have the basic hand tools to perform the operation.  Here's what it looked like.

These are the contents of the CGW #3 Trigger Kit.  What you get is the Adjustable Sear, a modified Shadow Hammer (reground to fit a standard 75B Slide), and a tiny Allen Wrench to adjust the set-screw in the Adjustable Sear.

Here's a closer look at that Adjustable Sear.

Disassembling the pistol using the standard procedure was accomplished, removing the Mainspring assembly, Ejector/Sear Housing and Hammer assembly.

As per the directions in the kit the Adjustable Sear with Set-Screw removed are degreased in aromatic Solvent, such as Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, Berryman's, Gun Scubber, etc.  You can't see it here, but these parts are actually submerged in solvent in this photo.  They were then dried.

Here is the modified Shadow Hammer, with the Disconnector and Hammer Strut attached.  

For me this was the most time consuming part of the entire operation.  Getting the pins out of the stock Hammer was a real pain and took the most time and effort.  You need to have a good SOLID surface (I used a small anvil I have for just such operations) and then Gunsmith's Bench Block (or piece of wood with small holes drilled in it) and the correct size Punch to drive out these pins.  I had no problems starting and tapping the Pins back into the new Hammer, just getting them started coming out of the stock Hammer.  Once they finally started "out" they came out o.k.

Then the Ejector/Sear Housing has the Sear and Spring removed.  Instead of doing any polishing on the Sear or Hammer surfaces, with the kit you just change out the parts.

Here, the new Adjustable Sear has been installed and the Housing is ready to be reassembled back into the pistol.

In this photo the Hammer and Sear Housing have been reassembled back into the Frame and I'm about to reinstall the Mainspring assembly.

With the Set Screw still backed out, I'm getting ready to apply a small droplet of BLUE Loctite Thread Sealant onto the Set Screw.  Caution:  You want to make sure you DON'T get any Loctite on any other moving parts!  Only on the threads of the Set Screw!

In this photo I have already adjusted the Set Screw but I have left the Allen Wrench in place to see it "as it was" just as I adjusted it.  

Note:  The Hammer is COCKED, and the Safety is "On".  The Set Screw is screwed in until it just touches the Lobe on the Safety's shaft, then it's slightly backed off (it does not rub against the lobe in static position.  Thus there is no wear on the Set Screw)

The "Test" to ensure the Adjustable Sear is properly adjusted is to check to make sure the Hammer doesn't drop when the Safety is "On" and the Trigger is pulled.

I went back and added another "drop" of Loctite Blue into the hole left when the Set Screw was adjusted in.  I then carefully wiped off the excess with the twisted tip of a small sheet of paper towel.

Given time for the Loctite to set (a few hours, overnite to be "safe") the pistol's reassembled and aside from a knowledgeable eye catching the modified Shadow Hammer, this Compact .40 appears to be totally "Stock".

The total time to perform the Trigger Kit install was just about 1 hour.  (Including taking photos)

So far I have only dry fire tested it, but I would rate the Single Action letoff to rate as (tuned) "1911 ish".

While it shot "acceptably well" groupwise yesterday (final 10-shot Magazine in center at 25'), I can assure you that it will shoot MUCH BETTER with the lighter/crisper Trigger that is has now.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:55:49 PM by billc_sbio »