Author Topic: A simple question about front bushing . . .  (Read 3699 times)

JeffBeatty

A simple question about front bushing . . .
« on: January 05, 2004, 10:44:08 PM »
I do not want to beat a dead horse on this subject, I have read the multitude of posts on this subject, so forgive yet another one.

My pistol is a newer model (2003 i think).  Upon purchase, the bushing was tight.  Several hundred rounds later, the barrel moves up and down when pushing with my finger (due to the polymer wearing off).  My questions are:

On your 97's, is there any play at all in the barrel (the bushing being quite snug to the frame, using the included wrench) when the slide is fully forward.  I have several automatics, and I can not 'wiggle' the barrels at all when the slides are forward.  The barrels simply wont budge when the slide is locked forward, even though there is plenty of clearance between the barrel and bushing when the slide is cocked open (of course).

Would you folks do the 'dremel' trick (or sand paper) if the front bushing is almost have way between the star-serrations?  Or would you back it off?  When I back it off and put my finger on the front of the barrel, i can 'wiggle' it up and down substantially more than when it is tight (when the slide is fully forward).

I do not want to sound paranoid, but with a lot of wiggle in the bushing to frame interface, the threads would have to wear over time.

The main reason why i seem paranoid is I purchased this pistol to compete against my father (a 1911 guy).  He can generally kick my butt all over the place, so any gain in accuracy I can get, well you know...

thanks.

JeffBeatty

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 11:06:59 PM »
You know, i just read the posting a few lines down (I must have missed before) where my questions are pretty much answered.  

Sorry for wasting board space on pure ignorance.:\

mbott

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 04:19:34 PM »
Don't worry about it.  Sometimes it's nice to see the light come on!  

--
Mike

Cleft-Asunder

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 01:12:13 AM »
Will you post the link to the thread that answered your questions? I'm having difficulty finding it.

Thanks.

Offline woodchip

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 06:54:17 AM »
Just to post count, with mine in battery there is no movement.

Offline CZ75BSA

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 08:47:41 AM »
When I first got mine, it was very *lightly* snug at the notch I was using.  Later, it started to feel loose, as the gun broke in and parts wore slightly (only about 300 rounds).  At that point I use the wrench to force it over to the NEXT notch, which was probably a little too tight, but I could get it there with the wrench without feeling like I was buggering the threads (normally I like to have the bushing just finger tight).

After using the wrench a few times, and cleaning off the back of the bushing, it became easier to use finger pressure.  So now I am using one notch tighter than the original setup, and I can assembly/disassemble with HEAVY finger pressure.  In fact, I often still use the wrench just so that I don't scrape my fingers up !
The barrel is tight and there is no play when in battery.

Just an idea:  the notches are small enough that you could probably dremel some in-between notches if necessary to get what you think is a perfect fit.  Then just cold-blue the dremelled edge.

JeffBeatty

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 03:08:31 PM »
There is movement when in battery.  I can lift up on the barrel with my index finger and it will move a small distance to the top of the bushing.  When i say small, i mean small.  So small that i can't see it affecting accuracy.  I will hit the bushing with some 600 grip sand paper and see if it will hit the next notch.  With the pitch of the threads, it shouldn't take a lot.  I typically shoot at about 10 meters or so, and at that distance the bullet holes all touch each other, even with the bushing loose.  Unfortunately for me, i am an engineer.  I get hyper paranoid of loose threads.  Thanks for the info.

By the way, the thread with good info is:
WOOHOOooo..o...uh oh on 12/30/03

Offline CZ75BSA

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 01:19:27 PM »
Quote:
Unfortunately for me, i am an engineer. I get hyper paranoid of loose threads.

I happen to be a mechanical engineer also.  :)

Usually this makes me MORE accepting and understanding of the difficulty of getting perfect fits in mass-produced items.  Almost any mass-produced item can be improved, but we can't expect custom-level fitting of mass-produced machine parts.  I am usually either willing to tolerate the stock item or just accept the inconvenience of modifying it myself.
Just .001" is the difference between "too tight" and "rattling", so we have to be realistic.

I can think of some ways to make the 97B design less tolerance sensitive, but the same holds true of almost any firearm design I have seen.  Then you get involved in the "tight vs. reliable" trade off, and pretty soon you are only willing to own a Rumanian AK47 !   :)

anything