Author Topic: New plates from AR500!  (Read 24098 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
New plates from AR500!
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
I hope I never really need this, but I can tell you this helps - an anti-spall coating that will greatly assist in keeping bullet fragments from bouncing off the plate and into things like your wrist or chin.

Nice plastic packet, next to the Urban Go plate carrier set-up I got from AR500.com.

Looks good, crinkle finish on the anti-spall coating.

New and old - old will now be converted into test target. :)

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
Re: New plates from AR500!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
Have you seen the test review videos?

CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
I notice many of the plates tested are as expensive as some firearms. The first one tested in video 2 is the top rated plate, weighs as much as the AR500 plate, and is technically rated for 6 strikes with .308. The one thing the ceramic plates DO well is spall protection, but $600+ for one plate that gets shot once and is no good, well, not to sure about that. If I had the government buying them for me, maybe. :)
I am hoping to get the older plates I have tested soon. :D

Offline zze86

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
Blah, plates are over-rated, only slows you down. A good thick leather armor is my preference. Better mobility and sufficient strength to handle any stray zombie bite.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
Nice.  ;D But, back in the real world, very, very occasionally something like this can be handy, especially for our several LEO members.
Just saw a test of one of these sideplates absorbing a hit from a 338 Lapua at 100 yards with deformation, but no penetration. Probably have a broken rib or two, but no bullet through the lungs.

Offline zze86

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
You obviously have not thought this through in a worst case scenario. I mean that thick overly protective plate is just something that gives a zombie something to grab onto. And if you fall! Man try getting up with that and a gnashing clawing deadhead on top of you!  ;)

Seriously though nice armor and I'd like to to have one or a couple for serious SHTF situations not involving zombies but for HD I'd be concerned with getting into a struggle in it and having all this weight on me. I know you'd hope not to be in that situation but sometimes you cant dictate where the bad guys are. Have you tried practicing rolling around with it and a large mass on top of you? I think that would be crucial training if you have equipment like this. If you do post vids! It would hilarious to watch either way.   ;D

And let us know how the testing goes!

EDIT - was trying to be facetious but reading this over I see it could be misconstrued. Plain talk - Great looking piece of gear, practice with it especially while in all sorts of defensive positions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:46:21 PM by zze86 »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
Yes, indeed. ;) I have wanted to build a quick slip emergency front only carrier, too. Right now this one is quick and easy, but heavy, as mentioned. I like the option of having instantly a flashlight, phone, spare mag and bullet resistant armor at the same time. I have layered security in place to give me the time to retrieve it, if necessary. ;)

anything