Author Topic: Home defense when society collapses...  (Read 22536 times)

Offline fatbaldguy

Home defense when society collapses...
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
What to plan for.  Refugee's, looter's, food, water.  I'm too old and slow to bug out.  Maybe too stubborn too.  I live in a rural suburb so to speak.  Too close to a 250K population center by miles.

I'm on a well, and will have a hand pump installed before winter that will allow me to pressurize my system.  I'm on a septic tank so  flushing toilets too, for a while.  I have a fairly large, easily up-sized garden.  We can and preserve.  Deer for meat, until I can trade for chickens and rabbits to raise.  I would likely take adverse possession of some 10+ acres next to me for grazing/pasturing stock.  Wood stove for heat and cooking.  Wood lot just a couple hundred yards north.  I have lots of hand tools for cutting/splittng wood stored away.  Looking at solar panels to charge batteries for radio's and cell phones.

Have bolt rifle DetachableBoxMagazine in 308, 3 ten round mags.  Want a semi in 308.  Shotguns in 12 and 20, want another 12 pump.  Pistols/Revolvers in .45 ACP, 9 mm, .38 special, .380, 45 Colt, 22LR.  Want a pistol caliber carbine in 45 ACP, Thureon Defense has piqued my interest.

There is a fair amount of distance between neighbors, and several hundred yard sight lines cover about 110 to120 degrees of 360.

I could feed 8 out of my garden with a bit of help.  Up-sizing, who knows how many.  I have a couple of small families recruited to 'move in' should society collapse.  They bring firearms, some food, and labor.

Organizing guard duty and the like will be a bridge crossed when the time comes.

What else should I be thinking about for 'bugging in'?

Offline Czeetah

Re: Home defense when society collapses...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
Body armor for when you need to walk outside to tend the garden?

With 250k population nearby you're going to be in repel-the-hordes mode 24x7.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:49:53 PM by Czeetah »
FOX News/MSNBC/CNN/CBS/ABC: "Brought to you by the generous support of corporations who have everything to sell you and nothing to tell you"

Offline jjdurso

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
I applaud your self reliance, that's never a bad thing, but I don't envision any prolonged period of turmoil.  Make no mistake, this government will collapse under its own weight, they always have and they always will, however without a paradigm shift in parenting, I don't see a generation ready to embrace voluntary interactions as a means of organizing society, so there will be another government.

I suspect things will get a little nuts for days or weeks, but the majority of Americans are not prepared to go more than a few days without a grocery store, so they'll pledge allegiance to just about anyone who promises some normalcy.

I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again...

Offline mgardner

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
Home defense is really tough. Any fixed position can be studied by your enemy and taken. Thank God most of these people got their training from the internet or television. If you have military combat infantry training you will do well. We have a large "safe room" made of solid 8 inch cement block with steel doors that bolt from the inside. If we can anticipate the anarchy we have an alternate location for long term survival that has established gardens of wild food and is a long ways from anywhere. Six months of starvation and disease at the least and wild animal populations will be decimated just like in the early 1900's. Many will voluntarily go to refugee camps just like they do now in places like Africa. If you think you could survive Mogadishu you're in good shape.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
I think that might be going a wee bit far...I hope. Consider Katrina style disasters, and plan for a duration of that magnitude. If you are planning on bunkering for months, you might be overdoing it. It IS a good idea to have a stash food and good water supply for any bad times - one extra can of tune and bag of rice a payday adds up over time.

Offline fatbaldguy

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
If you are planning on bunkering for months, you might be overdoing it. It IS a good idea to have a stash food and good water supply for any bad times - one extra can of tune and bag of rice a payday adds up over time.

Planning for months, hoping for days or weeks at the most.  Forgot to mention that we also have extensive first aid and surgical supplies.  If push came to shove, I could do some triage type surgery, set bones, sew up some lacerations,  limited anesthesia though.

Flour, rice, sugar, salt, beans, baking powder, coffee, enough for months.  Canned vegies from the garden, enough for months.  Meat is where I haven't got it together yet.  I'll learn to pressure can meat this year.

Offline mgardner

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
If you are planning on bunkering for months, you might be overdoing it. It IS a good idea to have a stash food and good water supply for any bad times - one extra can of tune and bag of rice a payday adds up over time.

Planning for months, hoping for days or weeks at the most.  Forgot to mention that we also have extensive first aid and surgical supplies.  If push came to shove, I could do some triage type surgery, set bones, sew up some lacerations,  limited anesthesia though.

Flour, rice, sugar, salt, beans, baking powder, coffee, enough for months.  Canned vegies from the garden, enough for months.  Meat is where I haven't got it together yet.  I'll learn to pressure can meat this year.

We have found a food called Quinoa and have incorporated it into our regular diet. It is a nearly perfect protein by itself and keeps well. You really don't need much meat if you store enough of it.

Offline atn729

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
1. CZ 452 Special Military Trainer in .22lr
2. Arsenal SLR-101s or AMD-65
3. F/TR class rifle in 308 (win model 70 action, manners stock, kreiger barrel, S&B scope

I live in rural Vermont. I have about 10 acres of land at my disposal. I keep chickens and have a large garden. I will be bugging in with the firearms above. We have a large woodplot that blocks view from the road. Otherwise, we are on a hill so sight lines are generally good.

Offline the war wagon

• Mafioso of the Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
What to plan for.  Refugee's, looter's, food, water.  I'm too old and slow to bug out.  Maybe too stubborn too.  I live in a rural suburb so to speak.  Too close to a 250K population center by miles.

I'm on a well, and will have a hand pump installed before winter that will allow me to pressurize my system.  I'm on a septic tank so  flushing toilets too, for a while.  I have a fairly large, easily up-sized garden.  We can and preserve.  Deer for meat, until I can trade for chickens and rabbits to raise.  I would likely take adverse possession of some 10+ acres next to me for grazing/pasturing stock.  Wood stove for heat and cooking.  Wood lot just a couple hundred yards north.  I have lots of hand tools for cutting/splittng wood stored away.  Looking at solar panels to charge batteries for radio's and cell phones.

Have bolt rifle DetachableBoxMagazine in 308, 3 ten round mags.  Want a semi in 308.  Shotguns in 12 and 20, want another 12 pump.  Pistols/Revolvers in .45 ACP, 9 mm, .38 special, .380, 45 Colt, 22LR.  Want a pistol caliber carbine in 45 ACP, Thureon Defense has piqued my interest.

There is a fair amount of distance between neighbors, and several hundred yard sight lines cover about 110 to120 degrees of 360.

I could feed 8 out of my garden with a bit of help.  Up-sizing, who knows how many.  I have a couple of small families recruited to 'move in' should society collapse.  They bring firearms, some food, and labor.

Organizing guard duty and the like will be a bridge crossed when the time comes.

What else should I be thinking about for 'bugging in'?

Well... here we are, 7 years later, facing these EXACT issues!

What you've got by NOW, is what you HAVE.  Time to play the hand you've built for yourself.  Since there's no firearms or ammo to be had, maybe walking the neighborhood, while it's still warm, & meeting & greeting the neighbors - feeling them out, for where THEY stand.  If they have a "BLM" or libtard politician's sign in their yard, mark them as potential "weaknesses" to the defense of your neighborhood. 

Check your fresh water sources.  Now's a GREAT time to build a rain (reclamation) barrel, assuming there hasn't been a run on sand, gravel, and charcoal at your local hardware store.  BTW - DON'T use "BBQ charcoal," for your water filtration!!!!   ::)
- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 12:45:32 AM »
 Might not be too late to stock up on supplies and equipment for producing beer and hard liquor. If times are that bad then this could be the key to survival. Everyone left is going to have chickens and lettuce but a guy that can supply liquor is going to become an essential member of any survivor group. Even if the compound is overrun and you’re facing a regime change you will possess Vital knowledge and supplies to trade.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Tok36

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:49:48 AM »
Ill just make myself a sign "Will service CZ pistols for liquor". I will be alright.  ;D
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)