Author Topic: What's Your Next Handgun?  (Read 274801 times)

Offline oreocat

Re: What's Your Next Handgun?
« Reply #915 on: June 06, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
 jwc007, Have you tried the ProMags for the P38? That's what came with the gun. Midway has them for $21 and I can pick them up myself and save the shipping.
I usually stay away from ProMags. I see CDNN has Walther brand for $39, I may just go that way.

Offline hrdguera

« Reply #916 on: June 07, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
Today I went to a Gun Show in a neighboring suburb near Houston, (Pasadena, TX.).
I was looking for a CZ 75 D Compact, P-01, SP-01, or  something along those lines.
There were several to choose from and I decided on the CZ 75 P-01 Cal 9 Lugar NIB. In fact, the seal wasn't even broken on the case.
The P-01 makes #4 after the P-07, a CZ 75 B in Brushed Stainless, and a CZ 97 B.
I choose this to use as my primary concealed carry. I have been switching off too much lately between a few of my favorites.
There were several choices available but in the end I chose the P-01 with the rubber grips, the rail, and the alloy frame.

Not my photo but exactly the same.

Congrats!  You will be very happy with that P-01.  I own a few, and the one that I carry everyday has the thin checkered aluminum CZUB logo grips.  I love that gun!  Now to get one in OD green.

Oh no! They have one in green?
Went to the range today. Put about 200 rds through the P-01. Function and accuracy was flawless. I have decided that this will be everyday primary carry.
Just feels perfect in my hand.
The other pistol I took today was a BHP that I just put Hogue finger groove rubber grips on. Figured it would be a nice homage to John Browning to shoot the CZ P-01 and the BHP. The BHP is one of those that recently became available from some foreign country was up-grading. My brother bought 3 of them and this one was Parkerized. It was a gift. I love it and with the Hogues it doesn't slide in my grip and bruise my hand anymore. All in all a very successful day.
Really love the CZs. Wonder which one I will get next?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:57:00 AM by hrdguera »

Offline hrdguera

« Reply #917 on: June 08, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
Ok, so today I went to my LGS and picked up a CZ 2075 Rami. I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be.
My little finger doesn't fit on the grip. I prefer that it does and have put Pearce Grips on my other magazines where needed.
But .... I did get to handle a CZ 75 Compact. Whoa ..... now that is my next gun .... maybe.

Can someone tell me if the CZ 75 Compact has the B (Block)?
I wouldn't have bothered too much but this last week I actually dropped my 75B in Brushed Stainless!!!  :-[ 
Luckily .... there wasn't one in the chamber and there was no visible damage to the pistol, magazine, or the even the tile floor in my bathroom. Yea.

Fact is, my pants were not really all the way up anyway as I was exiting the water closet (toilet).
I prefer the Galco Jak-Slide holster and after all these years and a Jak-slide for almost every pistol I own; this is the first time one has ever hit the floor.

So, since I do often keep one in the chamber I now figure a Block may be a good idea after all. After all, I am not getting any younger and my trips to the bathroom are more frequent than they used to be.

The CZ compact / P-01 /PCR models come equipt with firing pin blocks.

Here is an easy way to tell. If it has a hole in the rear of the slide it has an FPB (unless someone has removed it). The hole is for the roll pin that retains the firing pin in the FPB CZ's. The Non FPB models do not have the hole, they are designed differently and use a retaining plate at the back of the slide to hold the firing pin in place.

Here is a picture to illustrate. (The CZ97 in the picture has a FPB)

On another note: Terry MC, thank you for the info. Interesting pistol.

Ok so here is another question for you.
What is the hole with the vertical pin visible just in front of the beaver tail?
Some say it denotes a Military or Police pistol but that still doesn't explain what it is actually for?
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #918 on: June 08, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
That's the hammer pin retaining pin. When you pull it apart you may need that hole to push the retaining pin out.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #919 on: June 08, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Indeed, the pin in question stops the hammer pin from backing out. It is accessible once the sear cage is removed from the frame.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #921 on: June 09, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
jwc007, Have you tried the ProMags for the P38? That's what came with the gun. Midway has them for $21 and I can pick them up myself and save the shipping.
I usually stay away from ProMags. I see CDNN has Walther brand for $39, I may just go that way.

Nope!  Have never tried the ProMags in a P38 or P1.  You might try shooting it with your ProMags to see just what happens before buying any additional Magazines.
Sometimes you can rehab a ProMag Magazine by just replacing the Spring with a Wolff Spring.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline oreocat

« Reply #922 on: June 10, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering 3 surplus mags from RTG in AZ. I'll see how this works out.

Offline Outhsider

« Reply #923 on: June 10, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »
I was thinking to get a Glock 19 for my next handgun but yesterday I got my hands on a CZ SP-01 compact and, like other CZ's, it fits my hands very well.
So for now, I don't know which one to pick up.
I know, this is a CZ forum but which of these 2 guns would you guys pick up?
I have shot already the full size SP-01 tactical and the Shadow but shoot the compact just the same as his big brothers?

Offline eastman

« Reply #924 on: June 10, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
I was thinking to get a Glock 19 for my next handgun but yesterday I got my hands on a CZ SP-01 compact and, like other CZ's, it fits my hands very well.
I have shot already the full size SP-01 tactical and the Shadow but shoot the compact just the same as his big brothers?

I would go for the CZ SP-01 over the Glock 19 - CZ ergonomics, DA/SA hammer fired design win for me.

(I love my CZ75B Compact, so I expect the SP-01 compact will eventually join the family)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #925 on: June 10, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »

How will this gun be used? A G19 is a good gun but not particularly ergonomic compared to a CZ compact. The CZ is heavier to carry though.

My CZ compact shot every bit as good as the SP-01 I had. Both guns had the CGW treatment and the compact had the best trigger of all of my CZs.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Outhsider

« Reply #926 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:57 AM »
I have a CZ P-09 and a would like a smaller gun as an back-up.
And yes the ergonomic from the CZ are much better then from the Glock.
The CZ is a little bit heavier but that's not a problem for me.
Lot to think about it lol.
Thanks for your input. :)

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #927 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »
You might consider a RAMI.  Very concealable, good capacity and very accurate for such a short barrel. Plus, the alloy frame makes it a bit lighter for carry while still being heavy enough to make shooting it a pleasure.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline terry mc

« Reply #928 on: June 11, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
I have a CZ P-09 and a would like a smaller gun as an back-up.
And yes the ergonomic from the CZ are much better then from the Glock.
The CZ is a little bit heavier but that's not a problem for me.
Lot to think about it lol.
Thanks for your input. :)

As Birds Away said the Rami is an excellent choice, my wife still lets me shoot mine from time to time, the rest of the time it is always on her person.

Another great choice that is just as light as a Rami and the size of a CZ75 compact is the Tristar C100. light weight about the same as the plastic guns with an alloy frame and the CZ shooting characteristics for unbelievably low prices.
I really like mine, (it is my daily carry gun) I have it heavily modified for about the cost of some stock CZ's or glocks for that matter.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ Scorpion CZ Custom Trigger Pack, Streamlight TLR-1HL Primary Arms MD-ADS

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #929 on: June 11, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
Picked up the latest additions to the safe. Ruger GP100 Match Champion fixed sight and an unplanned trade. I traded off my OD P01 for a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39. Looking forward to shooting both of them Saturday afternoon.

Installed a Weaver Classic 4X scope in the factory provided rings and bore sighted.

anything