Author Topic: MY CZ HAMMER GUN and Family !  (Read 4488 times)

Offline mayor al

MY CZ HAMMER GUN and Family !
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »

I recently traded away a couple of unrelated handguns to obtain a NIB Unfired CZ sxs 12 ga Coach Shotgun (Blue, with 20" bbl and nice Walnut checkering)

I also got a couple of others... A ROSSI Overland 20 gauge 18.5"bbl sxs Hammer Coach gun,
and another ROSSI Overland Hammer Coach Gun, but this one is a .410 ga with 24" bbls.

They make a fine addition to my scattergun rack of a Saiga/drum mag /2 Mossberg pump Black Tacticals/ and a nice Stevens 20 ga O/U.

Here are the three Hammer Guns, with the .410 on top, the 20 gauge in the middle,
 and the CZ 12 on the bottom.

Offline Obiwan

Re: MY CZ HAMMER GUN and Family !
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Nice "family picture". I can't believe no one made a comment in 3 years. :)

Offline Willie Repeat

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
Very handsome family sir.

Offline Diamond Jim

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
I used to own a Rossi coach gun - sold it to my brother when I bought a Browning O/U. It was a brutal little gun that kicked like a Clydesdale with field loads. I guess that comes down to basic physics.

Offline Barebow

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
Nice collection !  You would think I could find a good hammered side by side stagecoach shotgun made here in America at a good price. Nope!

The CZ looks great. I know its a Turkish Huglu imported by CZ. The cost is a bit steep for what else can be bought for equal money. But I would still like to have one to train my wife and college age daughters home defense drills. I don't like the idea of them with a pump or auto. A good coach gun is shorter than most tactical shotguns. Cocking a loaded shotgun , in my mind is better than letting one sit cocked and locked for months at a time.

Any thoughts?

The Guardian

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
Nice collection !  You would think I could find a good hammered side by side stagecoach shotgun made here in America at a good price. Nope!

The CZ looks great. I know its a Turkish Huglu imported by CZ. The cost is a bit steep for what else can be bought for equal money. But I would still like to have one to train my wife and college age daughters home defense drills. I don't like the idea of them with a pump or auto. A good coach gun is shorter than most tactical shotguns. Cocking a loaded shotgun , in my mind is better than letting one sit cocked and locked for months at a time.

Any thoughts?

I agree with everything you just mentioned.....I've looked at the CZ hammer shotguns, they are pricey......my thought was to get one in 12ga and then use some adapters to shoot either some 20ga and/or 410's.....would just be more fun IMHO.  The adapters I researched were at www.gunadapters.com  ;)

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »

Any thoughts?

You don't have to keep your pump cocked all the time. I got a 870 MM in my closet. Tube's full, chamber empty, hammer dropped, safety off. In case of emergency, all I need to do is rack a shell in and I'm good to go. That actually goes faster than cocking two hammers.

When you compare Side-by-sides, the hammered ones have the advantage that you can keep them loaded, but uncocked. Can't do that with the hammerless ones. And I don't think it's a good idea to keep any shotgun stored with the chamber loaded and hammer cocked.

I think the cost of the Hammer Coach is appropriate. It's a nicely made shotty that looks great. I don't recall what I paid for my Remmy (been quite a few years ago), but I think it was 650 or such. (Marine Magnums are a little higher in price than blued ones). The Hammer Coach was more, but still under a $1000. And that's a steal for a decent SxS.

I don't regret getting one. Well, actually I do. :) I think the barrels are too short for a decent swing, so I'm already looking at the Sharptail in 28" to accompany the Hammer Coach. :)  (friggin CZ's are multiplying by themselves, and I fear the same might be true for Huglu's. Perhaps an O/U after the Sharptail?  gaaahh... must resist)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:30:17 AM by Obiwan »

The Guardian

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
....... I think the barrels are too short for a decent swing, so I'm already looking at the Sharptail in 28" to accompany the Hammer Coach. :)  (friggin CZ's are multiplying by themselves, and I fear the same might be true for Huglu's. Perhaps an O/U after the Sharptail?  gaaahh... must resist)

What about the Classic Hammer with the 30" barrel's?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:57:38 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »

Yup, looked at that too. Just thought that since I now have a hammered SxS, but not a hammerless one, I'd add the Sharptail instead of the 30" Hammer Classic. The Hammer for slug'n'fun and the Sharptail for clays. Very hard decision though. I'm afraid of how this is going to end....  ;)

The Guardian

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »

Yup, looked at that too. Just thought that since I now have a hammered SxS, but not a hammerless one, I'd add the Sharptail instead of the 30" Hammer Classic. The Hammer for slug'n'fun and the Sharptail for clays. Very hard decision though. I'm afraid of how this is going to end....  ;)

Sound decision making there......... ;D