Author Topic: CZ-USA vz-58 Sporters and 18 USC 922(r) Compliance  (Read 104926 times)

Offline czgunner

Re: CZ-USA vz-58 Sporters and 18 USC 922(r) Compliance
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
What are the US parts on the current CSA VZ58? I bought one this last summer.
So far I put a US muzzle device, piston and pistol grip on the rifle. I really don't wan to be stuck using the CSA mags, rather use surpus.
Disabled combat veteran

Offline RSR

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
What are the US parts on the current CSA VZ58? I bought one this last summer.
So far I put a US muzzle device, piston and pistol grip on the rifle. I really don't wan to be stuck using the CSA mags, rather use surpus.

Different parts on every rifle they build.  You'll want to visit the listing for the specific rifle you purchased to confirm. 

For magazines, just the polymer follower and floorplate are US-made.  If black furniture, your CSA pistol-grip may have already have been US made.  The muzzle device, including thread protector, on the current LW 16" barrels is also US made IIRC.

Offline Laufer

• Retired from air transport business.
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »

Since when were any components, described in 922r,  required to state "Made in the USA"? Or just "GA", "TN", OH, AZ etc?

This is not included in 922r for imported AKMs or any other imported /assembled gun. No documentation for this seems to appear in any of the many discussions I've read-including Moderators' comments.

This is only one of the reasons why the ATF has never prosecuted anybody,  for Just a so-called 922r 'violation'. The spirit of their 'law', with several ill-defined areas, was created for importer/builders. Some of them have made mistakes in their parts count, and at most paid a fine-if punished at all.

The ATF can Add The 922R  charge--- if you are into human-trafficking,  selling illegal narcotics, robbing banks etc. The focus is on the actual felony-because they then have an actual....crime.

Also, who can know what is inside Your gun...even if anybody is into trivia?

Some of this was info gleaned from very seasoned builders on the original AKfiles-and some Mods who were there.

Here ^^^^ (video link) "Mishaco", "Misha" also discusses it on Youtube.   :) He is an AKM encyclopedia.  :o  No exaggeration.
People might at least listen to part of his video about 922R on Youtube (one of many videos), and the more rational viewers  8) will probably sleep much better.
Too many sections of 922R are ill-defined. as a starter.

He and a few friends asked ATF agents about 922R: ATF agent responses were "What are you talking about?"...."Don't waste my time"..."You can if you want to".
>>>> From about 6:20 it is interesting<<<<. Some of my info here is from quotes of the so-called 922R "law".

If my business consisted of selling AR, AKM, VZ-58 component$, my comments could easily be "Well, if you want to risk it, go buy that foreign $--t". $$$$.
But this doesn't happen with component sellers..... :-X What a lucrative racket to be in, especially now. We are not going to be arrested because a few parts- because they might resemble foreign types - might appear to be Arctic birch furniture etc, or have no country of origin stamped on it. None are required to state "Made in the US" or "made by Mattel" etc.

The ATF is overwhelmed with "illegally-modified" select-fire guns, huge batches of stolen guns from stores (ShootPointBlank-here in Memphis), houses, cars--but to care about where parts in >>My gun (Not an importer)<<--out of tens of thousands of imported AKMs, VZs, M-1As from "Norinco" in China, pre-Obama Saigas.......were produced, with no stamp of the country of origin required on various components ?

Internet Group-Think isn’t to be questioned.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:55:52 AM by Laufer »

Offline RSR

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »
The ATF is overwhelmed with "illegally-modified" select-fire guns, huge batches of stolen guns from stores (ShootPointBlank-here in Memphis), houses, cars--but to care about where parts in >>My gun (Not an importer)<<--out of tens of thousands of imported AKMs, VZs, M-1As from "Norinco" in China, pre-Obama Saigas.......were produced, with no stamp of the country of origin required on various components ?

Internet Group-Think isn’t to be questioned.

Past performance does not provide assurance for future performance.  Current political rhetoric indicates that it'd behoove all gun owners to dot Is and cross Ts, like 922r.

Offline Laufer

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
RSR: That is a reasonable perspective. You certainly are a diplomat.

Pardon that my comments rambled for so long.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:55:25 AM by Laufer »

Offline RSR

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2021, 02:27:36 AM »
RSR: That is a reasonable perspective. You certainly are a diplomat.

Pardon that my comments rambled for so long.

There was nothing wrong with your comments -- just a different perspective.

Per my understanding, the burden of proof should ultimately be on the BATF to show both material noncompliance and intentional noncompliance.  Further, I think modifying it from an imported "sporter" or "pistol" carries a higher bar than changing the modifications of a rifle.  But again, it's a question of one's risk analysis.  When in doubt, 100% intentional compliance is the best path forward IMO.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
Wow, some of these old posts and subjects, are bubbling to the surface again.  Interesting.  While I've never heard of anyone getting busted for 922R compliance issues, I always "crossed to Ts and dotted the Is" (as RSR said).  Still have a unused factory new mags and also a couple cans of mags with the Czechpoint polymer follower and either the OOW flat metal floor-plate or Czechpoint poly floor plate.   I think the flat metal floor plate from OOW was like $6 with tax at the time. 

I'll share a weird story about the Checkpoint polymer followers:  On some of the Century Arms variants the bolt would either get hung up on the follower while stripping the round off the mag or after the last round was fired. But if I cycled them in the OOW variant they would then work.  There was hangup somewhere on the follower (I don't remember exactly where).  Some quick work with a dremel or file (or cycling in the OOW) fixed the issue.

:P I was considering offering a new service -- send me your mags with polymer followers and I'll cycle them in my OOW vz58, so they work in your vz2008. Ha!  :P
I'll probably list some mags in the future.  Two months ago a fellow drove 7 hours to meet me in Ohio, in order to buy 5 new factory mags and a bit of ammo, off an Armslist post.  Evidently it's illegal to ship 30 round mags into the state where he lives, but the way the law is written he can purchase out of state and carry them back?  Crazy.
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline RSR

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
I'll probably list some mags in the future.  Two months ago a fellow drove 7 hours to meet me in Ohio, in order to buy 5 new factory mags and a bit of ammo, off an Armslist post.  Evidently it's illegal to ship 30 round mags into the state where he lives, but the way the law is written he can purchase out of state and carry them back?  Crazy.

What!?  That's indeed nuts. 

Glad to see you back on the forums.  Hope you're doing well.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »

What!?  That's indeed nuts. 

Glad to see you back on the forums.  Hope you're doing well.

This happens ALL THE TIME with raw milk products.  :)

Offline Laufer

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2022, 04:17:43 AM »
Worry if you want to.

Again, it’s the huge gun parts industry which has the prime motivation for stoking the flames of anxiety.
“Beware, section 922r…” Notice how often retailers remind you?

Their indoctrination has really paid off. They will not let you forget about the Vast quantities of UnSold parts which they need to ‘unload’, and many of them are probably disguised as simple, private  ;) gun owners on the Internet. Poker-faced, so to speak. Spend that cash—-
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 04:45:03 AM by Laufer »