Author Topic: Coyotes,, meet your maker.  (Read 6778 times)

DCD2015

Coyotes,, meet your maker.
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »
1st off, I live out in the country,

Several weeks ago, I just happened to look outside and there were 2 coyotes standing about 40 yards from the house, looking at the cat sitting in the yard. I grabbed the 455varmint 22 mag and ran outside. One coyote disappeared into the high grass in the field, but the other made the mistake of running right down the driveway. I ran out and pulled the rifle up and yelled. He stopped about a 100 yards , spun around to look,  and BLAM. Right between the eyes.  The CCI total metal jacket went clean through and out between his ears. It  kinda 1/2 spun him and 1/2 flipped him right over backwards. Stone dead, instantly.

I have my 455 varmint 22 mag set up with a  4 x 16 centerpoint,  mill dots, windage,  w/ lighted crosshairs. And although its not a million dollar scope, it really works great and hold its zero. The green lit crosshairs work great in low light conditions. Between the rifles great accuracy, great trigger, and the scope, I shoot pop cans at 200 and 250 yards.  I was thinking of getting a good Nikon, but this one works so good I hate to mess with it. That's my zero to 200 yard rifle.

My next coyote duster is a Savage  223 model 10xp varmint I got NIB on a smoking deal several years back.. Its currently my 200 to 400 yards rifle.  Even though I admit, I was never a Savage fan. My brother talked me into trying it, and it is surprisingly accurate.   But I still want a  CZ 527 Euro varmint in 223. That's probably my next CZ rifle  purchase. I'm hoping it shoots like the 455.

After 400 yards, we go to the 270's & 30-06's.

We have gotten over run with coyotes the about past 10 years. I have found I do enjoy hunting them and get a couple every year. I wont go into the conspiracy theory's of HOW they got here, but they don't belong here, And it sure makes hunting them nice, when you got the  "tools" to get rid of them.  We probably use the 22 mag the most. Since its so accurate out to 200, head shots are not really all that difficult.  And we have plenty of woodchucks to keep practiced up on.

Anyone else enjoy  coyotes hunting?  What do you use?.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Coyotes,, meet your maker.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Congratulations on the Kill and Good Shooting!  8)

I also will kill Coyotes with an accurized Marlin 782 in .22 Magnum and often hunt them with a .223 of some sorts.  Usually an accurized Ruger Mini-14 or and H&R Handi-Rifle with a 6-24x Target Scope.  My Favorite handload for Coyotes uses a CCI/Speer 52 grain FB-JHP, which expands very nicely. Note that CCI/Speer makes both Target and Hunting Bullets in the 52 grain weight. Don't use the Target Bullets for hunting, as they don't expand.  Don't ask how I know this!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

DCD2015

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:00:41 AM »
[

Don't ask how I know this!

You know I GOTTA ASK  ,,, now that you baited the hook.  ;)

How far did he run ?   :)

( You reminded me of a good hunting  story I'll have to post.  ;D

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »

Somewhere around 40 yards, which is waaaay too far.  I had loaded 200 rounds of that Bullet and wound up burning them up on Paper Targets with my AR15A2.
Shot with the proper bullet he would probably have moved only about 10 feet, if that.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

DCD2015

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
LMBO.  ;D ;D ;D

Somewhere around 40 yards, which is waaaay too far.  I had loaded 200 rounds of that Bullet and wound up burning them up on Paper Targets with my AR15A2.
Shot with the proper bullet he would probably have moved only about 10 feet, if that.

LMBO.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
I told you not to ask!  ::)

Offline tact

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
I don't hunt them anymore, as I've found it is pretty much pointless.  I recommend reading about them from author Dan Flores.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »
I started hunting them this year. Been using an AR in .223 Wylde with soft points. Working on a 20" 6.5 Grendel AR now, just waiting on the barrel. Hopefully this doesn't devolve into a discussion over whether it's right or wrong to hunt Coyotes. It's legal and fun and there are plenty of farmers in my area that are glad to grant access.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
Up home (western Greenbrier County, WV) they've really cut into the ground hog and rabbit population.  Might also have something to do with the near disappearance of grouse, too.

I haven't hunted in almost 30 years.  Sort of gave it up when I moved to VA and ran into the funny hunting laws and hunt clubs/rules.

Coyotes were never a part of the animal world in this part of the country, so no reason not to take care of as many as you can.  They've displaced the natural/normal predators in a lot of the territory easy of the Mississippi River.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
  Been shooting them here in Montana since I got here almost 40 yrs back.

Currently using an LWRC M6 AR in .223 with a YHM can and a 3x30 Aimpoint. With 50 gr softpoints I'm good to 250 yds or so. Most of my shooting is at night. The border Collie goes nuts. Take the AR out with a good light and there will be a coyote nearby.

Beyond AR range  I use a Win 70 pushfeed, in .220 Swift with a 6-18X Leupold.

Out here the population seems to ebb and wane. Some years I shoot ten, other years I barely see a single dog on the property.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:56:24 PM by FN in MT »

Offline RAEIndustries

• RAE Industries
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »
Less vermin is always a good thing

Thanks for the efforts
S. Rife

RAE Industries

www.raeind.com

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »
Was probably a sasquatch. I have seen enough squatch hunter shows to say that any noise that can't be explained or visibly seen what made it is a squatch.

Ha
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:35:46 AM by joedirt199 »
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

anything