Author Topic: CGW extended firing pin  (Read 3540 times)

Offline DamnYankee

CGW extended firing pin
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »
What is the purpose of the extended firing pin? I plan to use the 13# hammer spring from the CGW spring kit. Will the extended firing pin be of any benefit?

Offline cntrydawwwg

CGW extended firing pin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
The purpose is to eliminate light strikes. That being said, many don't use it when running the 13#. BUT, CGW does say that you also need to run the reduced power FP spring with the 13# hammer spring to avoid light strikes.
   So, a lot of us just throw in the extended FP since we have to take it out to change the spring anyways
   And then of course it's the snowball effect, might as well add the CGW FP stop roll pin, reduced power FP block spring, modified block lifter, T2 disco, etc. etc. 
     Bwahahaha, it's an addiction I tell ya.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:55:28 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline copemech

Re: CGW extended firing pin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
The purpose is to eliminate light strikes. That being said, many don't use it when running the 13#. BUT, CGW does say that you also need to run the reduced power FP spring with the 13# hammer spring to avoid light strikes.
   So, a lot of us just throw in the extended FP since we have to take it out to change the spring anyways
   And then of course it's the snowball effect, might as well add the CGW FP stop roll pin, reduced power FP block spring, modified block lifter, T2 disco, etc. etc. 
     Bwahahaha, it's an addiction I tell ya.

YEP!

Offline Googe1227

• Chiraq CZ Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
Exactly.  Especially the last sentence! ;)

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »
Hello,

Just got an extended firing pin from Cajun for my Shadow 2, in which I have the factory recoil spring (which felt like a 13-lb) and I also put in a 13-lb hammer spring.  Should I use a lighter firing pin spring or the factory one?  I am more inclined to do the latter because I feel like both an extended pin and  lighter return spring will leave it more susceptible to 'slam-fire'.  Thanks.

Offline copemech

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
Hello,

Just got an extended firing pin from Cajun for my Shadow 2, in which I have the factory recoil spring (which felt like a 13-lb) and I also put in a 13-lb hammer spring.  Should I use a lighter firing pin spring or the factory one?  I am more inclined to do the latter because I feel like both an extended pin and  lighter return spring will leave it more susceptible to 'slam-fire'.  Thanks.

they usually come with the light spring, use it and do not worry as they have been used for years now.

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »

they usually come with the light spring, use it and do not worry as they have been used for years now.

Thanks very much.

Added: By the way, if anyone's interested, here are some stock firing pins compared to the extended one.....

The stock Tac Sport Blue and Shadow 2 firing pins are (according to my digital caliper) 2.466 inches, and the extended one is 2.503 inches.  Not very much difference at all.  The extension actually seems to be more in the rear area rather than the forward pin length...which makes a bit more sense as to why it's safe from slam-fire, i.e. extended back to give the hammer more 'purchase' on the pin to propel it forward, rather than making the tip closer to the firing pin hole when static.  Not putting one in my Tac Sport Blue because I'm leaving the stock hammer spring in there, which is apparently in the 18-20 lb range.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:26:35 AM by MoRivera »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:33:51 AM »
^^ Interesting point about what part of the firing pin is longer. I do not believe I have heard that brought up before.

Thank you for the pic.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

anything