Author Topic: Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...  (Read 8348 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
You have just been given a license, permit, stamp, to go hunt Arctic Grizzly bear. What rifle/what ammo? Must be compatible with extreme cold weather. :)

Offline AZ_CZ

Re: Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
Remington XTR in 375 H&H mag with my 300 gr. Solid handloads and low power 1-4 scope in QR rings. Is this a coastal hunt or open territory? Might change my ammo and scope choices.

Between the BLR and the CZ.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:08:57 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »
Not sure where the person I know who is actually DOING this is headed to...I personally wouldn't take on grizzly with anything that sn't either vehicle mounted or crew served... :o

Offline Rhino

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:19:53 AM »
My wife's grandfather lived in Alaska, he never went grizzly hunting but killed quite a few while hunting moose. He would spook them or disturb them in some way and if they charged he'd put them down. He carried a .458 Win Mag, his thought was "bring enough gun". His son in law asked him one time why he only carried 4 shells, his reply was "that's all I can stand to shoot the SOB"! 😜

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »
Used to be an old guy by the name of Elmer Keith that wrote for Guns & Ammo magazine for a few years.

He had a lot of experience killing large dangerous bears up north.

He carried a double rifle like those used in Africa for elephants, water buffalo, etc.

When asked why he carried such a rifle for brown bears he replied, "The bullets go all the way through, and I want them to bleed from two holes at the same time."

Anything that big, that mean, you want to die quick.

I'd still want to be up in a good stout tree before pulling the trigger.  And have a big bore handgun in a holster on my hip.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
Not sure where the person I know who is actually DOING this is headed to...I personally wouldn't take on grizzly with anything that sn't either vehicle mounted or crew served... :o

Perfect for coastal bears;

CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
This:

and, this:

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Mackay Sagebrush

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »
In all seriousness, I would forgo the magnums in favor of a rifle/cartridge combo that I can shoot with the utmost of precision. A .308 or 30-06 in something like a stainless Tikka T3 (for weather resistance) would be a top choice. Choose the appropriate projectile and go forth and hunt.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
My wife's grandfather lived in Alaska, he never went grizzly hunting but killed quite a few while hunting moose. He would spook them or disturb them in some way and if they charged he'd put them down. He carried a .458 Win Mag, his thought was "bring enough gun". His son in law asked him one time why he only carried 4 shells, his reply was "that's all I can stand to shoot the SOB"! 😜
I had the um, pleasure of shooting a .458 Winmag about 20 years ago. If a couple of these rounds won't kill it, I don't want to be anywhere near it. Probably the single most memorable gun I've ever fired.

Offline johnsmithers

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
I live in Ak and hunt here.   338 win mag is about minimum but is uncomfortable to shoot.  Many guides dont like people to use them because they flinch.  300 win mag is used by many but you ned to hit it right.  Any of the 375's are good.  375 H&H is more comfortable to shoot than a 375 Ruger or 378 Weatherby.  Whatever is used it needs to be big enough to do damage and not scare the shooter. If the shooter flinches and misses it doesn't matter what caliber it is.  Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
I hunt the west often,
I would use my .375 H&H for Grizzly
Like who ever mentioned it earlier, I would want that bad boy bleeding from 2 holes
it will let the taxidermist sew a bit more then bleeding from one hole and the doctor doing the sewing.

I would say that the .375 is as small as I would go but if I had to use my .300 Win Mag I would test it out on one if I were sure or had to.

RCG

Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline POPEYES8548

• BANNED
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 12:29:02 AM »
id say the 308win would be on the low end for grizzly with factory ammo. now if you reloaded and had good bullets,nosler,barnes,sierra. you might be in better shape
personally if i were going north for the grizzle id take a bigger gun and have the 300winmag as my gun of chioce or bigger. i know there are a few guys on here that live in Alaska and they sware by the 300winmag for them.

there used to be a thread on here that debated whats the best caliber for grizzlys and if i remember right the 308 was not even in the running.

see if a guy named moosemen answers he's the guy to ask.
because i love you.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 02:25:18 AM »
I agree with 300 win mag being the smallest I?d use.

Also, since you mention ?extreme cold weather?, don?t over look the lube used. It can get below zero here during hunting season. Used to use Rem oil on my 30.06 until I had the bolt freeze up tight as a drum. Switched to Breakfree and haven?t had a single issue in cold weather since.

I?d hate to have a gun freeze up going after Griz. YMMV
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline POPEYES8548

• BANNED
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
In the Cold with  froxen riflr and a grizzly in front of you, Now that suicide.
because i love you.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »

Marlin with 7 rounds of stout 45-70 405 grain bullets

anything