Author Topic: Magazine Compatibility Master List  (Read 215911 times)

Offline Radom

• HGWT
Magazine Compatibility Master List
« on: October 17, 2002, 07:06:48 PM »
Dear Folks:

I offered to do this some time ago, but I never followed up on it.  I am trying to build a Magazine Compatibility Master List for the Pistols FAQ.  This means that I need everyones input on which magazines work with which pistols.  I am going to post this thread on all of the relevant forums, so that as many people as possible see it.  For my own convenience as editor, it would help me if as many people as possible posted their answers at the Clone Forum, rather than all of the individual forums.  I apologize to the other moderators in advance if this is a problem.  Answers do not have to be in this format or anything, but I will start the ball rolling for the purposes of clarification.

The 97B uses the same magazines as the full-size .45 Witness.  They are not identical to Tanfoglio OEM magazines, but no fitting is necessary.

Thank you for your support.
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 07:36:11 AM »
Baby Eagle magazines in the full size will fit and function in all other Tanfoglio pistols. Compact BE mags will not due to mag bumper size. Some occaisonal Tan mags will not hold back last round in a BE due to a swelling at the slide catch stop on the BE follower not being present in older Tan hicap mags.
   Tan 12 round 40 and 40/41 mags will fit and feed dummy rounds in a CZ75
   Tan full size prebans will NOT work correctly in the Compact model, at least the two I tried.
   The Jericho 941, Baby Eagle, Tanfoglio TZ75, FIE/EXCAM TA90, and Springfield P9 are all made by Tanfoglio, and Tan mags should work in all of them, with the minor differances listed above.
   Is this what you wanted?
   Dave

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2002, 06:20:15 PM »
Dave, yep.  The message wasn't as clear as I thought.  (I never specifically mentioned CZ/Tanfoglio/IMI etc.)  I thought that we could just have a "sticky" in Pistols FAQ, and save the mods some trouble.  

Any compatibility between CZ and clones (and some others that aren't true clones, like some of the Sphinx models) are what I am looking for.  Thanks to all participants so far (and in the future).

Offline QBToo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 07:02:20 PM »
I use CZ factory 15 round mags (9mm) in my Sphinx AT2000 Police Special.  The follower in my CZ mags are different than the follower in the Sphinx mags.  Because of this the CZ mags do not lock the slide open.  You can cut the CZ followers to match the Sphinx follwer notch and then they'll lock the slide open but it is somewhat of an ordeal.  I merely took out my Sphinx followers from the original Sphinx mags (didn't want to use my original Sphinx mag tubes) and put them in the CZ 15 round mags and everything works 100%.  Since the Police Special has the fullsize grip they also fit flush.

Hope this helps.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 08:11:34 PM »
...every little bit of info helps.  I am glad you own that Sphinx; otherwise, we wouldn't know much about them here!  

Does anyone else have a Sphinx?  Just curious.

javigonz22

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 09:41:50 PM »
So does this mean since the CZ85 is derived from the CZ75 that baby eagel, and Witness mags will work in it also?

Does any one have a CZ85 I am interested in purchasing one instead of the CZ75 because I am left handed.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2002, 11:30:39 AM »
That was my impression.  I only have CZs (no clones), and none of them are 85 series (I am right-handed).  CZ literature usually refers to the "75/85 series," so I feel pretty confident saying yes, they would work.  Most of the basic parts are identical.  The 85 Combat Club would be a good place to get some clarification.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2002, 01:08:31 PM »
WHOA!  A CZ-85 (without the B) and a CZ-75 (without the B) will not accept most CLONE magazines.

If you've got a CZ-85 (and not a newer CZ-85B), don't waste your money on anything but CZ factory mags.  

Even the newer Mec-Gar mags won't work.  (I speak from experience, having had a CZ-75B, now a CZ-75 and a CZ-85 Combat.)

I have a bunch of Baby Eagle mags that work beautifully in my CZ-85 Combat and in 75Bs, but won't even go more than halfway into the grip of a pre-B 75...

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2002, 01:41:42 PM »
Sorry about that guys.  I assumed we were discussing an 85B.  Pre-B 85s aren't too common.  

Just to further cloud the issue, a "transitional" 75 (75 slide on 75B frame) has a 75B grip frame, so I never had this problem.  I forget about the difference.

Walt, are there "transitional" 85s?

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2002, 04:28:37 PM »
Transitional 85s?  Darned if I know.  

I'll bet there are -- as the transition was apparently a  production line change.  

Any 85s made during that period probably have the same "transitional" characteristics as the 75s.

javigonz22

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2002, 10:35:13 PM »
Yes I was talking about a CZ-85B sorry for being unclear.  Thanks for the help, now I am for sure going to purchase an 85B I ran across 4 hi-cap mags cheap so I picked them up and now I only need the gun to go with them.

My friend was showing me his Witness in 9mm (.40 conversion slide and barrel used on this frame) and right above the trigger the frame is cracked it is about the with of a hair and extends about .25-.4 of an inch has any one had this problem is it serious?  He is trying to avoid sending it to the factory but what should I advise him?

javigonz22

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2002, 10:35:35 PM »
Yes I was talking about a CZ-85B sorry for being unclear.  Thanks for the help, now I am for sure going to purchase an 85B I ran across 4 hi-cap mags cheap so I picked them up and now I only need the gun to go with them.

My friend was showing me his Witness in 9mm (.40 conversion slide and barrel used on this frame) and right above the trigger the frame is cracked it is about the with of a hair and extends about .25-.4 of an inch has any one had this problem is it serious?  He is trying to avoid sending it to the factory but what should I advise him?

Thanks for the info!!!!!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2002, 11:50:09 PM »
If your friend is the original owner, he should call EAA about it and send the pistol to EAA.  They just might send him a new replacement pistol or weld up the frame(a tricky business). (The welding and refinishing cost alone would be worth letting them fix it!) If he decides to have someone else try to fix it, find an expert welder who knows what he is doing! The frame will then need to be refinished!

Back to the subject of Magazines.  The Early Tanfoglio pistols built on the pre series 88 frames will use CZ75 magazines and only those magazines will interchange.  The later magazines built for the series 88 frames do not work (or fit) in the earlier Tan pistols or the CZ75/85.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline securitysix

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2002, 04:55:24 PM »
A friend recently bought a full-size polymer Witness in 9mm that came with 2 10-rounders.  As near as we can tell, the 10 round CZ factory mags are completely interchangeable with the 10 round mags that came with the Tangfolio.  We haven't done any function testing (shooting) yet but both types of mags allow the slide to lock open when manually retracted, regardless of gun.  The polymer Witness WILL NOT accept CZ 15 round mags.

Offline ScottB

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2002, 09:20:42 PM »
I posted about this in detail, but I'll add to this sticky:

Full-size 10mm mags will fit the compact, and if you use the spacer for the full-size 45 polymer frame mags, they make it fit your hand like a glove. For large hands, it almost turns the compact into a tactical, but even more ergonomically.

No doubt this would work with 45s as well.

anything