Author Topic: Just read the CZ 82 & cz 50 are not Drop Safe?  (Read 14849 times)

Offline slimjim

Just read the CZ 82 & cz 50 are not Drop Safe?
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
Just read a story about these guns going off when dropped with safety engaged?

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Just read the CZ 82 & cz 50 are not Drop Safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »
Do you have a link to the story?

Offline Comte

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »
Not buying that story. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline frgood

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
Based on those stories, my take away is to not walk around casually with a loaded firearm in hand. While not absolute, one can severely minimize risk by keeping the gun holstered until need to fire at a target.

Why are these people handling a loaded gun with such casual dexterity?
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline LittleJenny

• Girls Like Guns, Too
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
Ok, i ignored everything after "I rolled the CZ in a towel to carry it in". Why is a loaded gun NOT in a holster?  SMH

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Firing pin blocks are a recent safety addition, no? I prefer uncocked DA carry, and never unholster but for shooting, cleaning, or storage. Ok, defense too should the need arise. All my firearms are always loaded whether bullets are present or not. The gist here is I am the greatest safety feature of a firearm and take that responsibility seriously as we all should. It's nice to be aware and considerate of the other safety features a firearm has, but I am the most important one.

Thanks for the info.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline imarangemaster

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Ok, i ignored everything after "I rolled the CZ in a towel to carry it in". Why is a loaded gun NOT in a holster?  SMH

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Ugh, THIS!

BTW, did anyone else notice he says he carries a back up also?  When I was a full time LEO, in uniform, I did carry a back up. There is much historical justification for uniformed officers carrying a back up weapon.  One of my friends actually used a back up to kill and armed robber that cold-konked him from behind and took his duty weapon as he unknowingly walked into an armed robbery in progress at a 7-11.  He fell to the ground, and grabbed the Chief Special off his ankle before the robber knew what was happening, and gave the robber a terminal headache.

Since retirement, though, I can not conceive of myself, or any citizen needing a back up CCW piece, except to cure extreme paranoia.  With this guy in particular, it just doubles his chance of dropping a firearm and having an AD.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:58:38 PM by imarangemaster »

Offline Igrlik

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
The CZ82 IS NOT 'Drop Safe' ! (and CZ83 too)
Was proven after some incidents by czechoslovak weapon testing authority.
It is a design flaw. After that, there was oredered police must not carry round loaded in chamber.
Falling perpendiculary on the hammer, although the "auto safety" does block the hammer from full falling, it does still come forward just a smidget. After that, inertia of the slide moves round from chamber using extractor just enough to cause ignition.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:46:39 PM by Igrlik »

Offline audax

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
The CZ82 IS NOT 'Drop Safe' ! (and CZ83 too)
Was proven after some incidents by czechoslovak weapon testing authority.
It is a design flaw. After that, there was oredered police must not carry round loaded in chamber.
Falling perpendiculary on the hammer, although the "auto safety" does block the hammer from full falling, it does still come forward just a smidget. After that, inertia of the slide moves round from chamber using extractor just enough to cause ignition.

Yes, examining my CZ 82 I can see that the gun is not drop safe when carried hammer down because of the scenario outlined above. I've never carried it that way because it seemed so obviously designed to be carried cocked and locked, but I thought it was an option for people who dislike manual safeties. Now I know better.
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline cz75bmb

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »
Not to go off-topic (don't shoot me  :'(), but Bulgarian makarov's don't have this problem.  It appears
that the Polish Wanad P-83 would share the same issue with the CZ-82.

Offline ulmapache

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
Interesting thread here... California gun roster lab testing regimen has a drop test that is supposed to find out of a firearm will discharge in this type of scenario...CZ-83s (shiny blue finish in .380, all other versions are deemed unsafe) supposedly passed the test and are on the roster (at least 'till Jan 2018) Hmmm..... Could this be the  grounds to have the whole gun roster thrown out by the courts?
And this...does this apply to the commercial CZs, or just the military issued models.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:33:59 PM by ulmapache »

Offline cz75bmb

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »
Igrlik,
   I would like to look up the below information you pointed out.
I think it would be interesting to read about.  Do you have links/reference-sources
for these parts in reply #8:

"Was proven after some incidents by czechoslovak weapon testing authority.
"After that, there was oredered police must not carry round loaded in chamber." 

Offline Igrlik

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 04:46:39 AM »

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 05:50:53 AM »
It appears that the Polish Wanad P-83 would share the same issue with the CZ-82.

I own, and sometimes carry a P-83.  From what I have read, that is only an issue if the safety is disengaged.  With the safety on the hammer can not contact the firing pin.  Do you have any info that says otherwise? 

anything