Author Topic: New 97B slide stuck in locked open position after first shot.. suggestions?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline tothemax

My new   97B got stock with the slide stuck all the way back in open position after first shot.. any suggestions? It simply will not release from that position,

It cycled very well before I fired it w the first round of live ammo.  I dried fired it a few times before loading a magazine.   

Tried pulling the slide  back to release.. no movement whatsoever

Tried pushing down the slide release.. stuck hard

Tried hammering on it with a rubber hammer multiple directions on the slide... no movement at all. 

Tried removing the slide stop.. .will not come out

The obvious is to ship it back to CZ and let them deal with it under warranty,  but was hoping maybe something simple I can try.

All advice welcome

Thank you

Offline n8vs3

Are you using factory mag?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Hopefully the mag is out of the gun and no ammo is present in the chamber. With the mag out if the slide still won't release it sounds like something went badly and I would just contact CZ-USA and explain what happened. They'll send you a shipping label and take care of it for you. Very strange to hear of this though. Would it be possible to post some pics? The 97 is normally a very sound platform with very few issues at all.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
Short answer, I don't have an answer for you.

The trigger on my 97B froze in the full-cock position during my first range session with it. Not the slide like yours. I thought it might be the disconnector being locked up somehow. It didn't bother me very much, because I was already planning on removing the disconnector and converting it to SAO with a 5-SAO trigger and race hammer. I never had that problem after that, so the disco theory still seemed plausible. Someone later posted in my thread that sometimes the stock triggers bind in the frame opening and can cause trigger lock-up. I don't know if it's possible for a frozen trigger to also cause the slide to freeze.

Can you look up the magwell and see if there's some kind of problem with the trigger bar and/or trigger bar spring? My only other WAG would be if the plunger (firing pin block) or plunger (FPB) lever had somehow become bound.

Please let us know what you find out.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline tothemax

Thank you for the responses

- I was using the factory mags

- no ammo or anything left in the chamber, mag & all ammo out of the gun.

- looked  up the magwell and could not see any obvious problems with the trigger bar and/or trigger bar spring

Called CZUSA and they sent a shipping label and RMA number.  Packed the gun and shipping it to them tomorrow.

They said that the Bushing could be rotated incorrectly and it could cause the barrel to lock up in there.   They said the correct position is for one of the prongs to point at the 6 o'clock position and in my case it's off a little and you can see in the photo below.

Will keep this post updated as to what they come back with. 

They said 4 to 6 weeks to return it.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
I would think if you can rotate the bushing to the correct position the recoil spring will shoot forward and release the slide.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline tothemax

Tnx,  let me try this now.

Offline tothemax

Good idea but no can do for me... Tried to put the bushing removal  tool  around the bushing but  too big to fit in there.  Dust cover in the way.

Tried to grip it with vice grips and it slipped and it just tore it up.  Cannot find anything to grip in with enough force.  Now its locked up and has a bushing that looks like $hit from the job the vice grips did on it.  Don't  mind so much the stripped looking bushing  because I will  be sending  it to CGW to put in a new CGW bushing and kit in there after it comes back

Going back in the box and off to CZ USA to start my 4 to 6 weeks wait

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
Sorry that didn't work for you. The stock bushings rotate sometimes- there's threads covering it here. CZ will replace the current bushing for you, but the CGW bushing is supposed to be the cat's meow. Good thing you stopped before boogering up the finish on the gun.

I would say the improperly clocked bushing is the culprit. This we have seen before. CZ-USA will take care of it but if you are going to do any "gunsmithing " at all you need to throw those vise grips away immediately. Those have ZERO use in gunsmithing.

Offline tothemax

I would say the improperly clocked bushing is the culprit. This we have seen before. CZ-USA will take care of it but if you are going to do any "gunsmithing " at all you need to throw those vise grips away immediately. Those have ZERO use in gunsmithing.

LOL yes for sure.. .just could not find any tool in my garage to grip that busing  all the way inside the pocket  created by the dust cover at the bottom and the barrel at the top... I am sure CZ has a long socket type tool to get to it to fit around the  barrel grip the bushing . 

Anyways all that will get taken care of with the CGW bushing

I never had an issue with the factory bushing in my 97 but I had the CGW upgrade done anyway. They do a great job,the 1911 bushing looks better and the accuracy improvement is well worth the cost.

SPO1SHADOW

LOL yes for sure.. .just could not find any tool in my garage to grip that busing  all the way inside the pocket  created by the dust cover at the bottom and the barrel at the top... I am sure CZ has a long socket type tool to get to it to fit around the  barrel grip the bushing . 

Anyways all that will get taken care of with the CGW bushing

You can move it by tapping it with a hammer and punch but remember you are loosening it not trying the tighten it any further and that maybe why you think it is so hard to move. It would be ridiculous to send it back to CZ just for this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:28:53 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

^^^^ I think he already sent it in. I'd have used a pair of plastic needle nose on it but not many people have those laying around.