Author Topic: Missing right side slide stop but thats ok........  (Read 4434 times)

Offline whiterabbit2u

Missing right side slide stop but thats ok........
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
 Hey all,
 Just received my poor condition 1996 85B from Buds and the right side slide stop is AWOL.   ::)
 The slide stop pin in .194 dia and "D" shaped on the end and the right side hole is .196 and I can't for the life of me figure out how a right side lever would fit in there. Secondly, can I just forget the right side lever since the pin fits snugly in the right side hole and therefore well supported???
 Thanks and I'll try to reactivate my old photobucket account to get some photos posted.
"Life is hard, it's even harder if you're stupid"  John Wayne

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Missing right side slide stop but thats ok........
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »
When you field strip the pistol you'll see the left side slide stop is supported by a section of metal inside the frame.  That's why it doesn't wobble even without the right side slide release.

I'm not sure of the age of your pistol, vs. mine (I have a Pre B CZ 85) but the newer right side slide release won't fit into the hole in the frame.  Seems they made the right side slide release shaft larger due to a breaking issue with the Pre B version.  If your pistol can use the later version of the right side slide release you can order a replacement.  The guys at CZ Custom may be able to help you with that if you give them a call (help meaning tell you whether or not the newer piece would work based on the year your pistol was made.

If your pistol uses the older version of the right side slide release then one option is to have the frame/hole opened up by a gunsmith so that you could use the right side larger sized slide release.

There is a spring, inside the frame, that holds both sides of the slide release in the frame once installed.

This is actually a CZ 75 Compact I converted to use CZ 85 type controls.  But you can see the piece of frame, inside, that supports the left side slide release (on the right side in this picture) and the small spring just to the left of it that holds both sides of the slide release in place in the frame.

Edited to add the original picture, but from imgur now that photobucket stabbed us in the back.  First opportunity to fix one.

I actually really like the dual controls.  I have the Pre B CZ 85 and the converted CZ 75 Compact and carry the compact on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:08:05 PM by M1A4ME »
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline whiterabbit2u

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
 I like the dual controls too, that's why I got the 85!
 Mine has the small right side hole same size as the pin and the slide stop pin slips in and locks in place but it has about an 1/8" gap between frame and the back side of the control. Pretty big gap but the pin is all the way in. I might buy the new style right side control and ream the hole to size but if I can run the gun without the right side slide stop lever then no big deal and having an ambi safety was what I really only needed/wanted.

Mike

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »
Yeah, my Pre B still has the original right side slide release installed, but I've got a newer one in the parts divider in case I need it.  I'll just have to drill the hole a little bit larger and smooth out the edges.

That Compact with the CZ 85 controls has the newer one installed and that's how I did it, drilled and smoothed the edges (might have had to take a little more off than just smoothing to insure I had sufficient clearance for it to operate without binding after refinishing.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline whiterabbit2u

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
 I went to the range and put about 100rnd of junk 9mm through it.   ;D ;D ;D
 The slide locks back with 1 rnd left in the mag.  Maybe a mag issue.  ???
Got my P bucket account work'n.......
  CZ 85B goodness...

Gap behind L/S control.. Normal????

Right side

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Doesn't look like your frame every had a rights side slide release.  If it had there would be a gap all the way round the shaft of the left side slide release where it comes through the frame.

I saw some pictures of CZ 85's on a vendor's website awhile back that looked like your pistol.

Maybe CZ made some special order CZ 85's without that right side slide release lever.

And no, my CZ 85 does not have that big gap between the frame and the left side lever.

Offline whiterabbit2u

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
 The gun has me scratching my head about that slide stop. I rechecked the generic pic of the 85 pistol in the poor category at Buds, it doesn't have the right side control either. I don't think it's a coincidence it's missing too!  These must be some right side slide stop delete special order pistols??????? ???
 I don't see any signs that a lever was ever on the right side and the left side does stick out a bit but it does make it easier to hit with my thumb to release the slide. 
 Still a nice gun.  8)

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
Looking at my notes (which made perfect sense to me months ago when I was preparing for and doing my CZ 75 Compact to CZ 85 Compact clone project) I believe these numbers are what I'm looking for.

On my CZ 85 (Pre B) the shaft on the left side slide release lever is 0.1965" in diameter.

The outside diameter of the right side slide release lever shaft is 0.250".

I (for some reason) didn't fill in the spot for the hole diameter (in the frame) but the hole in the frame would have to be somewhat larger than 0.250" in order for the slide release to work properly.

It's obvious your frame has no gap (to accommodate the right side safety lever) or it would be easy to see a dark ring/gap around the left side slide release.

I'd agree that, for some reason, CZ made a batch of CZ 85's with no right side slide release (which makes me wonder why they didn't just call them CZ 75's.

I'd say that makes your pistol somewhat rare, as compared to other CZ 85's.

Offline edp3k

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
Maybe the RH slide stop broke off and left the broken stub of the RH SS still in the frame?
After it broke off it would be shaped like a short section of thin wall tubing.
The SS spring would keep that section of broken RH SS in the frame.

As for the left SS having a gap of about 1/8 inch between the lever and the frame,
maybe someone installed a  Witness or Sarsilmaz polymer frame LH slide stop,
and on the poly frames the frame is thicker, and thus would show a gap if installed
on a thinner steel frame.  I sort of think those surplus CZ came in from Turkey,
and since Sarsilmaz (Turkish) makes poly framed CZ75 style guns this would be consistent.

Offline whiterabbit2u

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
 It might be a safety from a Tupperware pistol. Doesn't explain the lack of a .250 hole on the right side, nothing broke off in there. I truly believe the gun was sold from the factory as an 85 with ambi safeties but left side only slide release which suits me fine. I'll prob replace the release with a cold war or regular 75 one to get it to suck in a lil' closer to the frame.

Offline twowheels

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
I bought an older 85 that was missing the r side release and a previous owner had cut off the shaft from the l side release.  In addition, the gun kept locking open.  After messing with it for a while, I enlarged the r side hole and used the newer set of 85 ambi releases.  The gun finally started functioning normally.  I traded the gun to a friend and it continues to work well.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
It might be a safety from a Tupperware pistol. Doesn't explain the lack of a .250 hole on the right side, nothing broke off in there. I truly believe the gun was sold from the factory as an 85 with ambi safeties but left side only slide release which suits me fine. I'll prob replace the release with a cold war or regular 75 one to get it to suck in a lil' closer to the frame.

I saw some awhile back (for sale somewhere on line, but I don't remember where) and many of them ha pictures of CZ 85s (ambidextrous safeties) with no right side slide release.  I mentioned it here and someone said it was most likely the vendor using a generic picture of a CZ 75 but it appears there are some 85's out there minus the right side slide release - and built that way by CZ (probably some special contract).