Author Topic: RMR for my P07 or P10?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Fixie2work1

RMR for my P07 or P10?
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »
I own a P07 (Cajunized springs, trigger, fiber optic sights, etc) and a stock P10c.   Being a bit older than I want to be (late 60?s ) I would like to add an RMR to one of the pistols.  Any suggestions?  If  I go with the stock P 10 do I/should I change the sights?
Thanks

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Re: RMR for my P07 or P10?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
I elected to RMR my p-07s and leave my p-10c stock except for aftermarket sights. Mainly, though, that was because I am a die hard TDA fan when it comes to serious use guns ... YMMV ;-)

For sights on my p-10c I went with CZ Customs: an HTAC plain black rear and green fiber front.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Also, for optics I chose the Trijicon RM07 that features a 6.5 MOA dot and adjustable brightness settings. I find the bigger dot is faster to pick up and there is less ?dot bounce? with it.

Offline Fixie2work1

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
Thanks.   Do the sights on the P07 have to be changed?

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:12 AM »
I guess it really depends on what you want. I had Mark Housel of L&M Precision Gunworks do the milling for mine and he replaced the stock sights with suppressor sights as part of the work. That gave me sights that cowitness with the dot. Some people just leave the front sight and do without a rear sight or just replace the front sight.

Personally I like having cowitness irons. I think it makes the transition to red dot easier and makes the gun more usable in the event that the dot goes out. For a straight up range or competition gun it wouldn?t be as critical, though.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:03:58 AM »
You might want to consider the Sheild RDS... it is not as robust as the RMR but it is lower profile and may work with standard height sights.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
If it's only going to the range for plinking/fun you may not feel the need for back up sights.

If it's going to be a carry pistol or a home defense pistol you shouldn't rely on just the RMR.  Back up sights should be on the pistol in case the battery/electronics croak on you at the wrong time.

The back up sights will need to be taller than the stock sights as the RMR will be in the way after it is installed.

The RMR battery will need to be replaced every so often (lots of folks say they do it once a year on their birthday, anniversary, etc.) and you'll need to go back to the range and sight it in since you have to take the RMR off the slide to replace the battery.

You can get an RMR that doesn't use batteries (some people like them, some don't) as they use either a fiber optic (when there's enough ambient light) or tritium (when there isn't enough ambient light) to light up the dot.  The life of the tritium is supposed to be 10 to 12 years.  Then you'll have to send it back to Trijicon to have the tritium replaced (no idea what that costs).

The Delta Point Pro also uses a battery, but the battery can be replaced without removing the sight from the slide, so no sighting in trip required after battery replacement.  The DP Pro also has the option of installing a rear sight on the back of the sight.

Both the RMR and the DP Pro are advertised as water proof.  The smaller shield rds isn't waterproof yet.  That is supposedly being worked on to make that sight more robust (read that on another forum where dot sights on pistols - mostly Glocks - is a big thing).

We have RMRs (the fiber optic/tritium type) and DP Pros on four pistols.  No issues from any of them yet.  But we don't go out and toss any of them onto the concrete, ground, mud holes, etc. either.

After years of "fighting" the idea and cost of an RMR installation on a handgun I can tell you it is well worth it.  How worth it?  After I got the "test" pistol done, a 9MM P09, I sent out my P07 a week or so later, for the same work.  After my wife shot it we sent out her CZ 75 Compact 9MM and had a DP Pro put on it.  I'm 60.  If I were to lose my glasses I could no longer see the front sight to shoot my pistol accurately.  However, with the RMR not having on glasses just makes the dot fuzzy.  I have no problem putting a fuzzy dot on the target.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Quote m1a4me: I'm 60.  If I were to lose my glasses I could no longer see the front sight to shoot my pistol accurately.  However, with the RMR not having on glasses just makes the dot fuzzy.  I have no problem putting a fuzzy dot on the target":::
That's why I'm putting an RDS on my po9 old eyes not much good, not putting a rear iron sight on it, can't see it and front and target. For me, I believe the RDS is going to change things.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »

An RDS is definitely a game changer. There *is* a learning curve, mainly in ironing out any kinks in your presentation technique, but once you get past that the dot is fire! :-)

Offline jimjc

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
My eyes are not what they used to be also, so when I purchased my P07 I got the model with a threaded barrel because it comes with taller sights, so its easier to cowitness with a RMR, now all I have to do is get busy and get it done. All this is going to cost$$$ because I'll be wanting to do it with my P01 and P10c and my Sig P320, well maybe not all of them right away.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »

An RDS is definitely a game changer. There *is* a learning curve, mainly in ironing out any kinks in your presentation technique, but once you get past that the dot is fire! :-)
I believe my presentation is right on the money, that's why when I practice I draw from a holster every time. I'm not a bullseye shooter .
I practice drawing and shooting for self-defense.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »
I believe my presentation is right on the money, that's why when I practice I draw from a holster every time. I'm not a bullseye shooter .
I practice drawing and shooting for self-defense.

It should be smooth sailing for you then.

A lot of shooters use irons to guide their presentation instead of focusing on building a repeatable, consistent drawstroke and as a result when they use a red dot equipped pistol they end up hunting for the dot. 

With a solid presentation, you bring the gun up and the dot is just right there.

Offline vaglocker

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
Do you have an astigmatism? If you do I would go for the smaller dot with and adjustable brightness. The smaller dots at least for me don't bloom as much with my eyes.

Offline damon1976

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
I elected to RMR my p-07s and leave my p-10c stock except for aftermarket sights. Mainly, though, that was because I am a die hard TDA fan when it comes to serious use guns ... YMMV ;-)

For sights on my p-10c I went with CZ Customs: an HTAC plain black rear and green fiber front.

Glad I saw this.  I am sending my slide of to Jager to have my RMR installed but his BUIS are not a fiber front so I didnt really want them.  Forgot to check CZ Custom to see if they had any.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
RMR for my P07 or P10?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »

Glad I saw this.  I am sending my slide of to Jager to have my RMR installed but his BUIS are not a fiber front so I didnt really want them.  Forgot to check CZ Custom to see if they had any.

I had Mark Housel of L&M Precision Gunworks do my RMR milling and he drilled out the Dawson suppressor front for fiber as part of the work.

You might see if Jager can do something similar. I don?t think anyone offers suppressor height sights with fiber off the shelf.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:40:41 PM by s0nspark »

anything