Author Topic: 40 P help  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Shadow knows

40 P help
« on: December 04, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
So I picked one up last Friday and have ran a few hundred rounds thru it with no problems.
I want to update the guide rode to a solid stainless and whatever else I need to do. 
I have read and read and read and watched what few videos there are and it seems this model is a SP-01 lower. 
So I call CGW to get pn's to order stuff and I get confused. 

They gave me a different pin for a guide rode than what was listed for sp-01. Said it was not really a SP-01.  Now I am a nobody and I am not about to question them I just like to work on my own stuff to get a better understanding and sense of pride of my weapons.

Guide rod they gave me #75060, I thought it would be 74040.  Anyone help me out as I need a spring and would like their hammer kit also.  Maybe even a short reset if possible.

Offline CZDad

Re: 40 P help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
I don't remember the sizes, but it is different from an SP-01 due to the longer slide.  The lower is very close to the SP01 with some small differences the Guide Rod is one of them. It's not a compact, nor is it full sized.  It's a compact frame on a full sized slide.  You would need a full sized guide rod.

If you told Cajun Gun Works it was for a 40P, then you should be ok.  75060 seems right though. 

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
The 40P frame is not an SP01 frame, but more over a P06 frame with very minor mods to the sear cage.  When I replaced the guide rod in my 40P, I ordered a couple of injector release pins and cut to size, so I can't help with the part number.  Does the one they sent match the length of the plastic one that was in there?

Offline Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »
I have not ordered the guide rod yet, though I was going to order what they said and a new recoil spring which I may just order their spring pack.  I will just have to cut to fit according to everything I have read on here. 

Before I was going to order that I wanted to get a short reset kit or at least the hammer.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
40P is the child that no one knows the parents.
the lower is a P01/P06 style and the upper is a 40B upper. not compact, not fullsize.
so the fun part is nothing current will work for guide rod, recoil spring, buffer or sights or barrels.
back in the day, there were a couple of companies doing some minor parts as the guns were popular.
Google will get you some, not sure if the companies are still around as everything on the internet is forever.

Guide Rod
https://ssguiderods.com/shop/cz-40p/

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:33:54 AM »
You can just cut down a full size recoil spring and I recommend a heavier spring (18-20) for full house 40 loads.

There are companies that make a stainless guide rod for the 40P and this is the only CZ firearm that I recommend the stainless for function.  This is because it has the recoil buffer that prevents the slide from impacting the frame during recoil.  Make sure you have the buffer installed!  I don't think the SP-01 guide rod will fit in a 40P.

The lower frame is a P01/P06 (compact frame) and will take all upgrade parts listed for a decocker frame:  https://cajungunworks.com/product/75215-production-legal-pro-package-decocker/
The upper is a mid length slide that was left over from the joint venture with Colt and it will take the standard SRS-1 kit extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin plunger spring

The hammer is a standard decocker hammer (P01, SP01 Tactical, 75BD, etc...)
The short reset kit is an option but really should be paired with the type 2 disconnector for a better trigger feel
While your in there you should replace trigger pin with the floating CGW pin
Oh and you'll need the slave pin to reassemble the decocker sear cage

You should ask yourself what part of the pistol you don't like before starting down the upgrade path.  What are your intentions for the pistol?  It's a slippery slope and before you know it you will have to upgrade all your CZ pistols.  Once you feel how well you can make a CZ trigger work with some polishing and parts you might need it.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
Well first thing first, my wife found out I got this, lol, me and a buddy went shooting yesterday for a few hrs and then I went home and got the wife and met my buddy for supper.  I said I was shooting CZ's today and she asked if I had more than 1?  Me and my buddy started laughing.  Anyway I doubt I will get another for a month or two so I may as well upgrade this one.

I like the feel of this one. I appreciate the information, I will get the parts and have some fun.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
My 40P is one of my favorite shooters.  I did the full Pro kit in mine and made the SS guide rod from an industrial molding ejector pin that someone had linked to in another thread.  I picked up a pair of them and made one for my pistol and a friends too.  There is a nice balance to the 40P and the darned things are accurate.

BTW, I try to never talk numbers of guns when I'm with the wife.  Every couple of years she asks how many and I honestly say that I'm not sure.  It's an honest answer because my sons and I trade stuff all of the time and I'm never really sure who currently owns one or two of them at any given time.   :)

Offline Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »
I have yet to get any parts. 2018 is the year of parts upgrades for pistols minus a p-01 omega and a bruin I still have on order but have yet to have come in.
I am on day 11 of work so maybe next week I will call CGW and order my stuff plus get some more parts coming in.

Offline bandit12

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I have a 40P and a PO-1. The guide rods are the same length and diameter. I got the 40P stainless guide rod from Steve Bedair years ago. I got the PO-1 stainless guide rod (74040) from Cajun gunworks last week. Hope this helps.