Author Topic: What CZ for IDPA Carry Optics?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Vinny

What CZ for IDPA Carry Optics?
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
Sorry, I posted this in General Firearms, but probably better here.

Although I have never competed in IDPA; I thought it might be something I'd enjoy, and encourage defensive shooting improvement.

Looking at the new 2018 IDPA carry optics division; wondering if my P-07 Urban Grey SR with DPP would 'fit in the IDPACO gun test box' ?

http://www.idpa.tech/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Appendic-C.pdf

It's the 6" height limit that concerns me with the 17rnd factory mags.

I have a Sig 229 RX, also tight on 6" dimension. But, because it's OL is shorter, IF the gun can turn a bit in the box it might just fit.

Any suggestions appreciated.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: What CZ for IDPA Carry Optics?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:00:27 AM »
Look into USPSA. It's more fun :P

Offline benq

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Sorry, I posted this in General Firearms, but probably better here.

Although I have never competed in IDPA; I thought it might be something I'd enjoy, and encourage defensive shooting improvement.

Looking at the new 2018 IDPA carry optics division; wondering if my P-07 Urban Grey SR with DPP would 'fit in the IDPACO gun test box' ?

http://www.idpa.tech/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Appendic-C.pdf

It's the 6" height limit that concerns me with the 17rnd factory mags.

I have a Sig 229 RX, also tight on 6" dimension. But, because it's OL is shorter, IF the gun can turn a bit in the box it might just fit.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I'd call some of the CZ shops that mill for optics: CZcustoms, Cajun Gun Work(?) and Primary Machine are a few that come to mind. They might be able to give you measurements.

I'm fact, I'm looking to get one milled myself.

Good luck.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »
Thanks for suggestions.

I'll look into USPSA. I really need to attend some competitions and talk to members there.

I would prefer to run what I have.  If I use my P-07 Suppressor-Ready with flush-fit 15 round mags instead of extended 17 mags, it might work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:40:39 PM by Vinny, Reason: typo »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
My optic-equipped Urban Gray P-07 fits in the IDPA box with the factory Plus-2 mag bases.  I'm using my optic-equipped Urban Gray P-09 in IDPA CO with flush base plates and a standard length barrel.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
Thanks Chuck,
That was the info I really needed.

BTW,
I love the P-07 SR I just got back from Primary with the Venom optic.
I want to look into both USPSA, and IDPA Carry Optics.

I shot 100 rounds yesterday; 50 WITHOUT the optic turned on; and once I got adjusted to the sight picture I was pleased how well the standard front Suppressor sight worked with the markings on the optic body to co-witness. I know you had mentioned this is another thread, and I concur that it really does work well.  No need for a rear iron.

Honestly, I think I like this set-up at least as well if not better than my P-07 UG SR with DPP & rear iron.
Next step is to put them both to the test in competition.

Thanks again for your input.
-Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
You bet, Vinny! Always happy to help!  :)  I am loving Carry Optics in both USPSA and IDPA!

Offline RaginCajun

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
You bet, Vinny! Always happy to help!  :)  I am loving Carry Optics in both USPSA and IDPA!

Chuck, how do the P-07 and P-09 compare when shooting Carry Optics? I want to start shooting that and my first thought was to pick up a P-09 but I really like the P-07 and am tempted to go that route. Would I be giving myself a disadvantage in any way shooting the 07 instead of the 09?? Or conversely does the 09 have advantages or is easier to shoot in that competition?

Sorry to jump in and hijack this thread but thought I'd try to get you guys comments and opinions!!!

Thanks!!

Scott

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 12:07:39 AM »

Chuck, how do the P-07 and P-09 compare when shooting Carry Optics? I want to start shooting that and my first thought was to pick up a P-09 but I really like the P-07 and am tempted to go that route. Would I be giving myself a disadvantage in any way shooting the 07 instead of the 09?? Or conversely does the 09 have advantages or is easier to shoot in that competition?

Sorry to jump in and hijack this thread but thought I'd try to get you guys comments and opinions!!!

Thanks!!

Scott
For competition, definitely go with the P-09. You can use it in USPSA CO division with the mags fully loaded to capacity (using the flush base plates) which will give you more ammo than the P-07 mags with the +2 base plates. If you want a gun that will work for a concealed carry gun but can also be used for competition, then go with the P-07.

anything