Author Topic: My first foray into shotshell reloading  (Read 3836 times)

Offline painter

Re: My first foray into shotshell reloading
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
Shot is definitely the biggest expense.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
Shot is definitely the biggest expense.

And transporting shot is the second biggest !

Some gun clubs buy clays from a vendor that also sells shot and other reloading supplies. At least at my club, that vendor will place these reloading items on the truck when they deliver clays. That means you get free transport and no HazMat.

Remember HazMat is not a DOT requirement, but an invention of the very few shippers who will move combustibles. A surcharge is really all it is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:51:40 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline copemech

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »
I have a bag of shot I need rid of as well as the wheel weights. I seem to recall it is #6 but I would haveto verify. I wonder if it would go in a flat rate box?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 02:57:43 AM »
Retailers routinely ship two bags of shot in flat rate boxes from the USPS.  It has to be double boxed, at the minimum, since the weight breaks the cardboard down and you loose your load.  The Post Office allows up to 70 pounds in a flat rate box.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
Just don't spill the shot on the floor. 

For a real challenge, get into loading steel shot.

Offline painter

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »
So...I know I said I wasn't going to load regular target rounds...but I changed my mind. ;D I've taken a liking to light target loads, so I can load those and get exactly what I want. Buying components on sale, and through group buys, will save me about $1 a box for 3/4 oz loads...a little less for heavier loads in 12 gauge.

I saw a used PW800 Plus with tooling for 4 gauges, and a PW hydraulic drive unit for a price I couldn't resist, so off to Burlington, VT I went. The gent lives right next to the ANG base, and when they get the F-35 next year the base will offer a buyout, and he plans on taking it. He has another of these machines with an electric drive. He's just downsizing in preparation for the move. The seller threw in a 55 gallon drum of once fired Win hulls to boot. Glad I took my truck.

A couple of observations. It's very easy to screw up and have powder, and shot, everywhere. PW uses a shot and powder drain system rather than the MEC system of tipping the bottles. It's easy to move the lever the wrong way, and if the handle is up...watch out. I've spilled more shot and powder than in all of my metallic reloading.

Like Fred mentioned, sometimes things just happen, like the other day when I was loading 3/4 oz 20 gauge. I put a wad in the carrier, just like I'm supposed to, and continued to pull the handle, when all of a sudden shot is spilling everywhere. The wad ram pulled the wad back up or didn't seat it all the way, for some reason, and there wasn't room for the volume of shot. At least the seller gave me the good advice that when something goes wrong...stop...shut off the shot and powder...and then clear the machine. It's pretty easy to get things back moving again. I'll load a bunch more shells manually, and set up for 12 gauge to make any necessary adjustments, before I hook up the hydro drive.

I'll keep the 375C. It's still easier to load spreaders on the single stage.

but not the ability.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Just don't spill the shot on the floor. 

For a real challenge, get into loading steel shot.

At least it's easier to pick up once you spill it  O0
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline painter

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
I'm going to invent a lead magnet and get rich. :P

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
I only got into shotshell reloading because I wanted 7/8oz loads for my 12ga. But back then I was buying 25# bags of new shot for $37, delivered. Now the cheapest is $50, and for that I have to drive to Gainesvllie, which is about 30 minutes away.

I can now buy flats (250 rounds) of 12ga 1oz for $50. My days of loading shotshells might be over.

Offline painter

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »
I only got into shotshell reloading because I wanted 7/8oz loads for my 12ga. But back then I was buying 25# bags of new shot for $37, delivered. Now the cheapest is $50, and for that I have to drive to Gainesvllie, which is about 30 minutes away.

I can now buy flats (250 rounds) of 12ga 1oz for $50. My days of loading shotshells might be over.
I just ordered 200# of #8 at ~ $35/25lbs (exact price to be determined). Last order was $38. There's no huge savings in reloading target loads, but you do maintain control over quality.

I'm going to play with 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads for 5 stand, and use 1 oz for trap. Lord knows I have plenty of powder for each weight. :P

but not the ability.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 02:47:01 AM »
Some random thoughts on loading shotshells.  I apologize if some of these have been covered extensively before...

1) Join a trap/skeet range or shotgun club and get in on group buys for shot.  The Izaak Walton League here arranges group buys and members take turns driving to MO to pick them up.  Works for primers, too.

2) I've always loaded shotshells in the garage.  You will get tired of vacuuming up shot otherwise.  (It's REALLY loud.)

3) As several others mentioned, it's about assembling published loads.  It's not as interesting as experimenting with rifle and pistol handloads.   

4) Reloading for 12 ga may be a break even proposition for most folks.  However, I have some IC and modified 12 ga pumps, and loading my own appealed to me more than having an old Ithaca reamed for adjustable chokes.

5) If you shoot 10, 16, or 20, it's definitely worth it, if only to develop the potential of your gun(s).  Most people that shoot 16 ga a lot load their own, because the factory loads are fairly mediocre and not readily available off the shelf. 

6) In theory, reloaded shotshells do not have the shelf life of factory shotshells or even reloaded rifle/pistol cartridges.  The powder tends to "migrate" around the wad over time.  I've never heard of anyone suggesting a hard/fast rule on this (how long it takes to become a practical issue), but I've safely shot some pretty old 12 ga reloads.  I've never gotten that far ahead on 16 and 20 ga. 

I'll probably remember some more food for thought in the next few days.  FWIW, I learned how to load shotshells long before my father taught me how to load brass cartridges.  It will be very easy for someone who already loads for rifles/pistols. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you join a club, someone will inevitably give you a few thousand 12 ga hulls when they learn you are thinking about starting to load.  I can't guarantee it, of course, but people have given me a lot of hulls over the years. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:53:55 AM by Radom »
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline painter

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 06:27:31 AM »
Powder migration is not as much an issue if you use the correct wad. That's one thing I've discovered about published shotshell loads. Just because it's safe doesn't mean it's a good load.

Often times the stack height will be off causing poor crimps, or as you say, the wrong wad will be specified and the shell doesn't perform well in the long run. Wads designed for tapered hulls can cause migration of some powders in straight walled hulls. All the Vectan powders I'm using are flake type and migration is a non issue.

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »
Powder migration may also be related to paper hulls and paper wads. Powder migrating around a plastic wad that fits the inside of the plastic hull very tightly is something I simply can't imagine.

;)

Offline painter

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »
Updat...

$37.75/bag. CT sales tax and transportation included. I also split a case of primers with my buddy. I had just bought a case of Win 209's.

I got 8 bags. My shooting buddy that arranged the deal only wants to put 400# in his car and he also got 8 bags, or I would have bought more. We'll do it again. I'll drive next time and take my truck. ;)

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
Scored some new lead pellets for $38/lb, and got a lead on some recycled for $25/lb. I'm back in business !

;)