Author Topic: CGW fiber optic sights - DIY?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Triggernosis

CGW fiber optic sights - DIY?
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
Has anyone installed, themselves, a set of the fiber optic sights offered by Cajun Gun Works?  Is it a DIY project or would it be better if I have my local 'smith do it?

Offline Underwhere

Re: CGW fiber optic sights - DIY?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
I've always struggled with sights but always managed to get them on the gun.

The difficulties I have are:
1. The front sight roll pin is on a somewhat curved slide so it's not the easiest to punch out while on a table. Make sure you do this in a padded vice.
2. Dovetail sights are almost never exactly the right fit. Most sights come ever so slightly oversized. Have a file that you can run the bottom of the sight over to shave off a tiny bit at a time.
3. Removal of the original rear sight. If you don't have a sight pusher it can be a bit of a struggle as CZ sights are angled in the back so putting a punch on it is a bit more difficult. It tends to slide off and you don't want it to screw up your finish.

Dawson Precision I believe has some great videos on how to do this. He does make it look very easy though.

My procedure:
1. Remove rear sight with a universal sight pusher.
2. Put slide in a padded vice and punch out the roll pin. Use a plastic hammer to lightly tap on the front sight (forward towards the muzzle) and it will slide out.
3. Push the new front sight into place gently, making sure to align everything. You want to start it slow.
4. Tap gently with a plastic hammer or soft wood + real hammer
5. Replace the roll pin carefully as to not mess up the finish.

6. Back out all the grub screws to make sure they aren't protruding below the sight
7. Clean the dovetail
8. Test fit the sight. I go from left to right (most sights for CZ's have an arrow that shows the direction they should be installed). If the sight doesn't go in at all you'll need to make some quick passes over a file. I suggest 2
9. Repeat step 7 until the front edge of the sight goes about 1/4 way into the dovetail with some light taps of your plastic hammer.
10. Tape the slide just in case you make a mistake. T
11. Using an aluminum punch (tape it), give the sight some taps to align it in the center of the slide. If you find yourself needing to give it hell, back it out and take another pass over the file.
12. Blue loctite the screws (you may want to wait until you test fire it to confirm the sight is where it should be)

Offline Triggernosis

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the response. 
Since I don't have a sight pusher, I'll probably just take it to my local 'smith and get him to do it.   He's helping me market my leather holsters anyway, so I guess spending a little bit of money with him would be a good idea.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
Depending on the # of guns you have now, (or will in the future) a $50 universal sight pusher may not be a bad investment.
People tend to charge $25 bucks to swap sights out around here.

Offline Triggernosis

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »
Depending on the # of guns you have now, (or will in the future) a $50 universal sight pusher may not be a bad investment.
People tend to charge $25 bucks to swap sights out around here.
I keep thinking whichever gun I get is going to be the last one I will be working on.

Offline Underwhere

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
I think everyone already knows that's not going to be true.

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
You can install sight pretty easily really. Just put the slide in a vice and knock them out with a brass punch. My first time I didn't have a brass punch and just stuffed a dowel inside a 9mm case and used that no prob. You might also enjoy this "roll your own" FO sight thread: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=93819.0
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
The first time you do your own sight install can be a little daunting, but it gets much easier after that especially if you have the right tools.  Usually the hardest part is removing the stock sights since some of those are pressed in there at the factory and can take quite some pounding to get out. 

There are some good videos on Youtube, especially the ones done by Dave Dawson to show how much fitting is needed and some tricks he uses for a good fit.  A stout vice securely mounted to a bench is key.  But the last sights I swapped out were on my P10C and I was able to do the whole thing on my hobby vice which is just a c-clamp to my bench top and not the big vice I have in the garage.

Offline RedLizard

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
Take your time - be patient with fitting the front site if it's needed.
Tape up your slide to avoid dings.  There's a lot of satisfaction
in being able to do things like this for yourself.  :)

anything