Author Topic: Powder for 9mm  (Read 4211 times)

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
Re: Powder for 9mm
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
I'm new to loading 9mm, 650 and USPSA limited minor.

CFE pistol is what I'm running right now. I was looking for power pistol, but couldn't source it locally. I tried titegroup, but didn't like it as much because it was dirty and being somewhat new to reloading I like a powder that fills the case more to avoid overcharge/double charge.

I'm going to try Wobbly/Angus load next, after reading those ^^^ posts. There is definitely something to shooting more (with cheaper components) though.
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline baldrage

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
newageroman -- Win 231/HP-38 has worked well for me in IDPA over the last year and a half and 8,000 rounds loaded -- less expensive than VV N320, cleaner than titegroup, meters well, and typical minor load (4.0 - 4.4. gr) fills the case more than half-way, so hard to double-charge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:59:01 PM by baldrage »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
CFE pistol is what I'm running right now. I was looking for power pistol, but couldn't source it locally.

CFE Pistol is a little too slow-burning for 9mm minor.  So is Power Pistol. 

Alliant Sport Pistol is getting lots of positive reviews.  It's the one powder appropriate for 9mm minor that I haven't tried.  N320 is excellent powder, though doesn't meter particularly well in the Hornady powder drop.  In other powder drops it seems to do well.

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »
I use unique and universal clays just because they also work well in .40 S&W.  I like the slower burn powders as opposed to bullseye or titegroup, unless it's for my .45acp.

Offline dlidster

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
I'm perfectly satisfied with Bullseye and 124/125 gr bullets (for 128-130 PF) and have seen no need to experiment further. That's for 9 mm. I'm also satisfied with Bullseye in 38 Special and 45 ACP. I experiment endlessly with rifle cartridges.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »
I'm reloading for USPSA and general target shooting.   So yeah looking for minor 9mm loads.   Sounds like I'm on the right track using Bullseye.   I think I'm going to try some Sport Pistol and compare it to my bullseye load.   

So here's the thing. Reloading has evolved over the last 125 years from scoops and hand presses to all the nice progressive loaders we have today. New powders emerge, not so much becasue of changes in the chemical industry, but becasue manufacturers are trying to meet more stringent requirements brought on by new reloading technology.

Reloaders in the 1880's were happy to simply have several choices in burn rates. These days that's the minimum. Modern reloaders also require accurate measuring, very consistent rates of burn, and some lubrication for their powder measures. The advent of the chronograph means that powder comparisons aren't subjective anymore. Reloaders are measuring their results in FPS and taking note of those powders that deliver low SD numbers.

Suffice it to say that whenever new powders are introduced which burn in the same speed range with W231, HP-38 and N320 then I'm very interested. 231 is very close to magic in 9mm and 38 Spcl. Along comes Alliant with their new Sport Pistol designed to go head-to-head with 231. The new feature has to be more than simply price because N320 has shown that users will pay more. It can't be better metering, becasue 231 meters like nothing else... except maybe it's big brother, WSF.

So I'm really reved up about my Graf delivery slated for tomorrow.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:12:14 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
I'm reloading for USPSA and general target shooting.   So yeah looking for minor 9mm loads.   Sounds like I'm on the right track using Bullseye.   I think I'm going to try some Sport Pistol and compare it to my bullseye load.   

So here's the thing. Reloading has evolved over the last 125 years from scoops and hand presses to all the nice progressive loaders we have today. New powders emerge, not so much becasue of changes in the chemical industry, but becasue manufacturers are trying to meet more stringent requirements brought on by reloading technology.

Reloaders in the 1880's were happy to simply have several choices in burn rates. These days that's the minimum. Modern reloaders also require accurate measuring, very consistent rates of burn, and some lubrication for their powder measures. The advent of the chronograph means that powder comparisons aren't subjective anymore. Reloaders are measuring their results in FPS and taking note of those powders that deliver low SD numbers.

Suffice it to say that whenever new powders are introduced which burn in the same speed range with W231, HP-38 and N320 then I'm very interested. 231 is very close to magic in 9mm and 38 Spcl. Along comes Alliant with their new Sport Pistol designed to go head-to-head with 231. The new feature has to be more than simply price because N320 has shown that users will pay more. It can't be better metering, becasue 231 meters like nothing else... except maybe it's big brother, WSF.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Sport pistol once you try it!  I'm going to pick some up on friday

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Sport pistol once you try it!  I'm going to pick some up on Friday.

Not as interested as I am !  ;D

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
Wahoooo !

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Wahoooo !

Awesome!   Off to the reloading bench haha

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »

Decision made!   Picked up few pounds of Sport Pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline viking499

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22:47 PM »
Wahoooo !

Well, how does it compare to the others?  It's been 2 days, you have had enough time to shoot up the whole pound. ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 12:08:47 AM »

So here's the thing. Reloading has evolved over the last 125 years from scoops and hand presses to all the nice progressive loaders we have today. New powders emerge, not so much becasue of changes in the chemical industry, but becasue manufacturers are trying to meet more stringent requirements brought on by new reloading technology.

AND,
Powders like the single base n320 that burns clean, "cool" and is very linear/forgiving of stretching the load data with no exceptional spikes in performance.   231/HP38 is all this except for cleanliness.
Reading the Sport Pistol bottle that advertises clean burning and appears to be forgiving with the the wide load data makes it interesting for sure.