Author Topic: Why an 83 vs PCR......?  (Read 4967 times)

The Guardian

Why an 83 vs PCR......?
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »
I've had a PCR, Compact, P01 in the past but pretty much decided to standardize my collection to full size CZ's.......thinking again of a compact, and like the idea of the 83 in .380 but apparently need some convincing to actually nudge me to do it..... ;D   Really just looking for some feedback from the faithful as to why the 83 versus the more modern choices........thanks  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:31:36 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Blackwatch

Re: Why an 83 vs PCR......?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »
I bought an 83 a while back as truck gun but the trigger and action was so smooth I decided to add it to the .380 range collection. I went with a shooter grade Star BM as the truck gun.

Offline il.bill

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »
A .380 ACP chambered CZ83 is a sexy looking, good shooting (the fixed barrel helps make it very accurate). quite reliable, easy to field strip & clean, perfectly sized double stack pistol with ambidextrous controls that can be carried 'cocked and locked', and it features a simply superb DA/SA trigger.  It is one of my all-time favorites, and it will thrive on a steady diet of inexpensive steel-cased ammunition.

Of all the handguns I had available, I chose one (well, actually it was its fraternal twin, a CZ82 in 9x18mm Makarov) to use for my Illinois Concealed Carry Qualification shooting.

On the minus side, it is relatively heavy for its size compared to modern polymer pistols, so an appropriate holster is required for comfortable concealed carry, the fixed barrel makes it a bit snappy, but not uncomfortable, on recoil, and a full detailed strip gets pretty involved.

Overall, it is my opinion that EVERYONE should own at least one CZ83.

Offline DUTCH VanAtlanta

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:29:40 AM »
A stainless CZ83 .380 is my preferred CC pistol.  Yes, it's a bit on the heavy side; but its accuracy and ease of shooting overcome that one minor negative.  I use Buffalo Bore +P ammo for maximum trauma in the target.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
CZ 83 Stainless .380

Offline SP01bob

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
Just dang guys... every time I read one of these threads, you all are sitting there convincing me why I need another cz addition to the family. :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline NoGoodLoser

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 01:29:28 AM »
I bought my first CZ, a PCR, about two months ago.  Then a few weeks ago I stumbled on a CZ83 and bought it too.  I love the PCR but I can shoot the 83 much more accurately.  I'm carrying the PCR until I get a holster for the 83. Ordered a Falco. Then i'll probably be switching them out as my EDC.

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:12:02 AM »
To me .380acp is too small a round for SD/HD but fun for the range.
Go for it if you want one.
"1776" - Part II

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:19:34 AM »
I've owned a PCR since 2000, and find it very accurate, reliable, and pretty easy to carry.  It is one of the best all around 9MM's made.  However, there is nothing wrong with the .380, or 9MM Makarov caliber.  I do carry a Beretta 85FS, .380 on occasion as well as a Bulgarian Makarov, and a P-83 in 9MM Mak, and feel well armed.

I put the CZ-82/83 right up there with the guns above, and a good addition to any collection, or carry rotation. 

The Guardian

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
Well finally moved forward on this venture and picked up a CZ83 from another forum member.....really looking forward to this, more so than some of the ?standard? CZ?s models I?ve enjoyed over the years. Including a little nostalgia in the mix is always a good change of pace  :)

Offline vmr357

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 10:58:46 PM »
... On the minus side, it is relatively heavy for its size compared to modern polymer pistols, so an appropriate holster is required for comfortable concealed carry, the fixed barrel makes it a bit snappy, but not uncomfortable, on recoil, and a full detailed strip gets pretty involved.

Overall, it is my opinion that EVERYONE should own at least one CZ83.

I have a CZ83 in .32 acp. Even that little round lets you know when the bullet goes down the tube with the fixed barrel. The 83 wouldn't be my first choice for a carry gun, but it's a nice little pistol. If you find one, .32 or .380, you ought to grab it.

bonj

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
The CZ 83's especially in the .32 ACP are getting harder to come by. I just took mine to the range and it out performed my Beretta 81FS, Walther PP in .32 ACP and my CZ 75B 9mm at 75ft as well as the closer distances for accuracy.
I will never part with my CZ 83 in .32 ACP.
People remark that is under powered?
I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one, especially in a vital area.
It killed Hitler didn't it.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:42:21 AM »

To me the .380 Auto is too expensive a round for range fun, relative to the 9 Luger.  My CZ 83 chambered in .380 is my go-to carry gun.  It's a bit more compact and comfortable than my CZ 75 Compact, and its 13+1 rounds are more than adequate for punching holes in bad guys if necessary.

The ammo shortage of 2012-13 demonstrated that there is a benefit to owning more than one caliber.  During this time I was always able to find ammo for at least two of my four steel-framed compact CZs.  Just make sure one of your sidearms is chambered in 9 Luger, which is probably the best way to start.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 03:42:30 PM »
I reload, so .380 for me isn't expensive, but if you buy factory ammo it is.

Offline NoGoodLoser

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
I love shooting my 83. It's fun. I'd never carry it for personal protection. Too old. Too small caliber. Too many other better options.

anything