Author Topic: Gammo Whisper ups the score  (Read 1998 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Gammo Whisper ups the score
« on: May 07, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
Squirrels :) strip my pear tree and Loquat tree every spring.  I picked up a Gammo break-bbl to try to discourage them last Nov..
The Gammo came with three-dot F.O. sights and a scope option that I could not get to hold zero.   Thanks to a member here I buy and shoot 10.4 gr RN pellets that are very accurate and consistent with the F.O. sights.  The FOs are way down the bbl making extremely small sight differences very BiG deviations off POA.  Distance from the front and rear FOs is 18 1/2".  It's another 19"+ to my cheek weld. :P

If the scope works mounted all the way back on the stationary bbl extension where the spring rests,  why can't the rear FO sight be mounted at the rear? 

I've made moving steel targets shaped like squirrel heads and neck. O0. A spinner that rotates horizontally and returns to position,  a Swinging target,  a vertical spinner that hangs and flips and flops as it spins and an axle mounted spinner that's a blur as it spins.  I used slightly off set weights to have these tilt slightly back at the bottom.
They are mounted on an 18" diameter tree stump .I also made a steel target trap for cardboard target.

I got squirrel #36 today....eating Loquat fruit.

#37 & 38 today.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:50:54 AM by 1SOW »

Online jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Gammo Whisper ups the score
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »
Sweet! 8)  Congratulations on the new Air Rifle and have fun keeping the Tree Rats away!  :)

My Father often shot Squirrels with an Air Pistol to keep them out of his Bird Feeder.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
The only thing we have in the yard that squirrels eat are the black walnuts and the indian peaches.  We don't eat either so that's okay.

Two of the three walnut trees are inside the dog pen.  Every now and then a squirrel makes the mistake of thinking the dogs are really sound asleep.  I tell you more squirrels come in and leave safely than get caught, way more.  It's funny to see the sit out there in the yard and watch the dog pen.  They'll sit up, watch for awhile.  Drop down, move closer, stop, sit up and watch.  And they keep repeating it till they get close.  They'll go through the fence to get into the pen and grab a walnut and then they go up/over the fence to get out.  Not sure why they do it that way since the walnut is about the size of their head and would go through the fence just fine.  They'll find a "high" spot (come to the deck and sit on the rail, go to the porch on the building in the back lot, get on the picnic table, etc.) to eat their walnut.  The carry the peaches from the peach trees to a maple tree and climb up it to eat dessert.

Of course, they also keep planting walnut trees in the flower beds, the back lot, the yard, where ever the urge hits them, in an attempt to have a source of walnut that is not in the dog pen.

Where I live, if I decide the squirrels are an issue, I think I'd be tempted to get me a suppressor (probably should have already done it considering how long it takes the paperwork) for the SIG 522.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Goju

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:25:36 AM »
I have been thinking about getting a Gamo Whisper series rifle for squirrel eradication, so this thread caught my eye. Due to the reduced velocity, would a .22 cal be any quieter than a .177?

Offline dave33

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
Ive found .22 short out of a bolt action .22 rifle to be almost as quiet as an air gun, but much more effective and accurate.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
^^^^^^^^^  My neighbors,  just over the wooden fence,  might not overlook my .22s.  When I say I shoot a BB caliber "gun",  they don't get excited.   That .22 might puncture the neighbors above ground pool.  :o

Any comments on the rear  iron FO sight mount in my post above??
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:17:54 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Goju

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
The only airgun I?ve owned as an adult was a break barrel Gamo 1000 fps .177 cal. The sonic crack from that rifle was loud enough that I might as well have been shooting one of my .22s, and to loud for even irregular use in my neighborhood. Any recomendations on the quietest set up, without going thru the time and expense of getting a can, would be appreciated.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24:02 PM »
I shoot 10.4 gr RN pellets that are not supersonic.  The lighter pellets can be.
The noise mine makes is from that spring that needs a 35# cocking force.  It is fairly loud but not like a supersonic pellet's.... bang.
( I started to say "a bullets crack",  but didn't want to suffer the consequences. ;D ;D)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:06:29 PM by 1SOW »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
I shoot 10.4 gr RN pellets that are not quite supersonic.  The lighter pellets can be.
The noise mine makes is from that spring that needs a 35# cocking force.  It is fairly loud but not like a supersonic pellet's.... bang.
( I started to say "a bullets crack",  but didn't want to suffer the consequences. ;D ;D)

anything