Author Topic: Rami sight dissapointment..  (Read 9375 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Re: Rami sight dissapointment..
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
We offer Rami FO and tritium
https://czcustom.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rami+front&cat=

AWESOME!

My prayers have been answered! Trijicon much > than crappy, ball sucking Meprolite sights! I've probably got half a dozen broken / dead Meprolite sights in the scrap bin.

What heights are you offering the front and rear Trijicon sights for the Rami?

https://czcustom.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rami+front&cat=

Offline Jim E

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »
Well. I ordered the custom shop sights and they shipped today. We'll see...at least these are not Mepro's.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »
I took a machinist's file and opened up the sight gap, trimmed the top down slightly and cut the notch deeper so POA-POI worked to create a perfect combat picture

Don't take this the wrong way I'm just adding some "file lore" to the discussion. I taught jewelry making, silversmithing, pewtersmithing and metalworking in general for over 15 years...a metalsmith lives and dies by the choice and quality of their files.

If the file in the photo is what you used, the correct name for that pattern of file is a "mill" file. I would not have chosen a mill file for this particular job for one very important reason. A mill file does not have a safe edge. In other words it cuts on all four sides. You can grind a safe edge on a mill file by grinding off the teeth on one or both edges. I've done it many times, mostly for my pewter working files. It is best done using a stationary belt grinder as it is easier to keep the edge of the file perpendicular to the face using the belt grinder.

I would have probably used a narrow pillar file for this job. Pillar files usually have 2 safe edges (some have only one) and choosing the proper cut (fineness or coarseness) of the file to use is also important.

Grobet brand files are of excellent quality but are also pricey. Swiss and German files use a numbering system to designate a file's coarseness. The higher the number, the finer the cut. German and Swiss numbers are, sadly, not identical in that a Swiss 6 and a German 6 are not of the exact same coarseness. American pattern files use a word system to describe coarseness. They are from coarse to fine: Coarse, Bastar4 (4="D", yep an illegitimate child), Second Cut and Smooth. American pattern files increase in coarseness as the length increases (Swiss and German do not). So a 10" Smooth cut file is coarser that a 4" Smooth cut file.

For opening up a rear sight such as in this job I probably would have chosen a 4", #2 cut narrow pillar file...or similar. I have well over 100 files in my shop so choice is possible. Were I to do this on a budget I would buy two files, both Nicholson brand, both mill files (though I would make one edge safe on each). I would buy a 4" and a 6" smooth cut, mill pattern file. The 6" MAY be too wide to fit the sight opening the 4" would probably work (I haven't gone to the shop and measured). One last thought and I have seen many very good craftspeople make this mistake, they will use a needle file when they should be using a full sized file. Needle files are not only harder to control but can flex some in use thus effecting accuracy. If I only had needle files to accomplish this job I would use a Barrett file (Triangular in cross section, only cuts on the wide base of the triangle, the triangular cross section aids in the stiffness (lack of flex) with the barrett file.

Hope that helps anyone wanting to do similar work. Nicholson files are the best American pattern files available (IMO) and are very reasonably prices.

In all my years of teaching I found that proper filing technique is one of the most difficult skills for my students to master. Have fun but practice !
Hey Duckman; No offense taken.
Wish you were around with your box of files when I did this job.  O0

And to add a little more 'file lore'....I can't begin to count the hours I spent in my Father's machine shop filing and putting chamfers on parts. I miss those days with my 'Ol Man's watchful eye teaching and critiquing.  I used to have some beautiful small Nicholson files that I used for everything. But that was over a half century ago.
When I moved on to owning and managing my own factory, I gave my machinist's tool box to a young man who needed them more that I.

So, just for the record I actually chose the four-sided file; knowing I wanted to remove material from both the sides and bottom of 'notch'. That way I could get a sharper 90 degree angle and small radius in bottom corners. What I really needed was that big lighted magnifying glass I used to have. I'm sure in hindsight I could have gotten everything a bit more square; but unlike my Father who was such a perfectionist that he never got anything finished.....I got 'er done!   ;)  Thanks,  -Vinny
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:32:20 PM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
And to get back to OP.......
Those new RAMI Trijicon sights from CGW look really nice.

IMHO very close to my spare parts 'creation'.  ;)
"Carpe Diem"

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 02:12:40 AM »

Interesting...the CGW Dawson Precision rear sight looks a lot taller than the CZ Custom Trijicon one. Need to get the height dimensions on each to dial in POA / POI.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/72075-dawson-precision-tritium-night-sights-rami/

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »

Tvey do look very nice. However, I?m leaning towards throwing a RMR on mine with CGW milled slide. I want to set it up so that it co witnesses with suppressor height sights if possible.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »

Tvey do look very nice. However, I?m leaning towards throwing a RMR on mine with CGW milled slide. I want to set it up so that it co witnesses with suppressor height sights if possible.
+1  I'm planning to send CGW my 'other' RAMI slide tomorrow from back-up gun. CGW seems to have best understanding of what's required to make this work properly.
They offered three good RDS options: one for DPPro, another for Venom, and a third with RMR (with the Dueck plate BUIS). I have an extra RMR so the choice was easier for me. If I don't like the position of Dueck front iron I could have it milled off and use a matched sight at muzzle. However, videos I've seen are favorable with the BUIS plate and a touch of green fluorescent paint on front post should do it for me.  YMMV
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »

+1  I'm planning to send CGW my 'other' RAMI slide tomorrow from back-up gun. CGW seems to have best understanding of what's required to make this work properly.
They offered three good RDS options: one for DPPro, another for Venom, and a third with RMR (with the Dueck plate BUIS). I have an extra RMR so the choice was easier for me. If I don't like the position of Dueck front iron I could have it milled off and use a matched sight at muzzle. However, videos I've seen are favorable with the BUIS plate and a touch of green fluorescent paint on front post should do it for me.  YMMV
You have obviously done more research on this than I have. I?d like to co witness with a rear sight in front of RMR. Would like suppressor height but not sure how that would work.

I may go with the Venom just to save a few $$, though RMR would be awesome.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »

You have obviously done more research on this than I have. I?d like to co witness with a rear sight in front of RMR. Would like suppressor height but not sure how that would work.

I may go with the Venom just to save a few $$, though RMR would be awesome.
If I didn't already have the RMR, I'd go with a Venom too. I have a P-07 and P-09 set up with Venom, and find the two vertical lines on Venom body work OK as my 'rear' sight; just needing correct height front sight to lower 1/3 co-witness. You could start with existing front sight, and if it's off Dawson has a calculator to help you determine the height difference you need.

Just a word of caution: CGW were the only guys I could find that understand the CZ Compacts and especially the short barreled RAMI need more tilt angle to the cut. Just look at the height difference between the stock front and rear sights. I've measured it, and using the following angle calculator http://learnframing.com/angle-calculator-slope-degrees/ and sight radius, I get 2.1 degree angle tilt in stock sights from bottom of slide rails where it counts.. But...YMMV and your average target distance will effect this too. I'm assuming the CZ factory set up the RAMI for closer 7-10 yard Defensive range.  Please keep us posted on your experience too. -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Jim E

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
I received the CZ/ Trijicon sights. Well packaged and USPS in two days. A quick review for those interested.

My particular safety model Rami had the #2 front blade from the factory which measured at 0.180" height with a blade width of 0.118". The new sight measured a height of 0.181" with a blade width of 0.1215". Removing the front was a challenge as it appeared to be micro staked on four points. The bottom of the new sight had a rough oxide like coating and only required around eight passes on a 1200 grit diamond hone to fit.

Rear sight installation was easy with no fitting required. The new sight was a somewhat looser fit than the stock item but centered up on the set screw nicely. A little Loctite no worries. The new sight dimensions were similar to the stock sight with the height being 0.005" taller and the notch measuring 0.120 versus 0.130 stock. The combination of the front/rear resulted in a more "precise" sight picture. Just as a note, the rear sight is serrated and angled nicely to reduce glare.

Prior to changing the sight set I set up a fixture for the slide with a reference mark at 10 feet with the stock setup. I did this mostly because my sighting laser won't work with a short barrel. After centering the front blade back to the original offset I checked the alignment again on the fixture. Everything lined up so next time at the range I will dial it in. All in all pretty good. For EDC there are no issues that I can see as far as snagging and it still fits the IWB holster perfectly.

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 11:45:25 PM »
I did this mostly because my sighting laser won't work with a short barrel. After centering the front blade back to the original offset I checked the alignment again on the fixture. Everything lined up so next time at the range I will dial it in. All in all pretty good. For EDC there are no issues that I can see as far as snagging and it still fits the IWB holster perfectly.
For short barreled pistols I use a Sightmark chamber boresight:- https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-9mm-Luger-Laser-Boresight/dp/B001C3S736
Whilst not relevant to this discussion they are also available in 380acp:- https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-SM39028-380-Boresight/dp/B004TDQ0WQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Offline Crossfaced

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »
I received the CZ/ Trijicon sights. Well packaged and USPS in two days. A quick review for those interested.

My particular safety model Rami had the #2 front blade from the factory which measured at 0.180" height with a blade width of 0.118". The new sight measured a height of 0.181" with a blade width of 0.1215". Removing the front was a challenge as it appeared to be micro staked on four points. The bottom of the new sight had a rough oxide like coating and only required around eight passes on a 1200 grit diamond hone to fit.

Rear sight installation was easy with no fitting required. The new sight was a somewhat looser fit than the stock item but centered up on the set screw nicely. A little Loctite no worries. The new sight dimensions were similar to the stock sight with the height being 0.005" taller and the notch measuring 0.120 versus 0.130 stock. The combination of the front/rear resulted in a more "precise" sight picture. Just as a note, the rear sight is serrated and angled nicely to reduce glare.

Prior to changing the sight set I set up a fixture for the slide with a reference mark at 10 feet with the stock setup. I did this mostly because my sighting laser won't work with a short barrel. After centering the front blade back to the original offset I checked the alignment again on the fixture. Everything lined up so next time at the range I will dial it in. All in all pretty good. For EDC there are no issues that I can see as far as snagging and it still fits the IWB holster perfectly.
Great info thanks!

Offline Jim E

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
I should have mentioned the sight height measurements I posted are from the dovetail base to the top so total height of the sight.

Offline charlestheforth

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
do they make a rear only #2 fiber optic sight for the rami?  I just ordered the one from CGW, but it was too high... I told myself I wouldnt ruin it by filing too much off... but i did :( 

I only want the front of the gun to have a fiber optic... is this possible?  all the ones online look to be made for front sights which arent already on the rami

Offline mecenas

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 03:45:22 AM »
I have this type of arrangements - rear factory night sight and Dawson front fiberoptic. It works really well.