Author Topic: What?s your favorite scope on a rimfire rifle?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
What?s your favorite scope on a rimfire rifle?
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »
Once again I?m looking at scopes and was wondering what folks here prefer for punching holes in paper.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E American .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline wagon

What?s your favorite scope on a rimfire rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:26 PM »
Depends on shooting distance.   I like my Leupold VX2 6-18x AO for up to 50yds.  Some may prefer to go up to 24x or even more to shoot for accuracy.

I also have two 12x that I also like them a lot:   Diamondback 4-12x AO, and weaver Grand Slam 3-12x SF.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:08:50 PM by wagon »

Offline Blackwatch

Re: What?s your favorite scope on a rimfire rifle?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
I put BKL 1 inch rings (medium, 11mm dovetail) with a Leupold VX 1 2-7 x33 scope on my CZ 455's...ample clearance for the bolt.

Offline DeltaPapa

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
I'm very satisfied with the Weaver Classic V-series in 4-16 x 42, fine cross hair dot.
The view is so very bright compared to my rimfire Leupold hunting scope.
Official Disclaimer: DeltaPapa may or may not own any and all firearms discussed on this or any forums; may or may not possess knowledge or opinions offered on this or any forums discussed the last few years. In fact, DeltaPapa may be nothing but a posing imposter trying to fool people....

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
I use whichever scope I have on the center fire rifle that the .22 is the sub-caliber trainer for.

I want things to be as similar as possible.

Maybe I wasted money putting a scope calibrate (BDC) for 7.62X39 on the SIG 522 but it operates the same as the SIG 556R and that was the idea.  Consistency between the two rifles.

I don't really have a sub caliber rifle for the AR's since I use a .22 conversion kit, so that means I use the same optic whether .22 rim fire or .223 ammo is used.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
Nikon Prostaff Target EFR.  It's designed for Rimfires and has an adjustable objective from 10 yards to infinity.

Offline bman940

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
I do like Nikon's PROSTAFF Target EFR a lot but I think one of my new favorites is Nikon's P-Tactical Rimfire 2-7x32 MOA reticle scope. Unlike the Target EFR it has a fixed parallax but being able to dial in my longrange shots will be a lot of fun. I haven't seen them in my local Big box store yet but the should be arriving any time. Sub $180 too.

Offline John A.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
Given what I use my rimfires for, and typically within 50 yards (*mostly hunting small game), I generally use a 1.5-5x32 on them.  I also try to keep the scopes as near to the bore as I can while still getting a decent cheek weld.

Matter of fact, I have a lot of my centerfire rifles set up in the same manner because that works for what, where, and how I hunt.

I also really like the reticle on most shotgun scopes too.  The circle or diamond around the center of the cross hair really helps pick up on a target pretty quickly.  And another reason why I like a scope that has little magnification.  Better sight picture.  Especially on moving targets that aren't really too far away.

But I could understand why one would want more magnification when they're staring at a small static target.  Just realize that more isn't always better.   Too much magnification is worse than not enough in my humble opinion.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Jiva

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:05 PM »
Just realize that more isn't always better.   Too much magnification is worse than not enough in my humble opinion.

I think this is an extremely valid point. After trying out friends? rifles with high magnification I?ve found that my ?normally acceptable wobble? can get out of control pretty quickly. Granted, I shoot 3 position with a lot off hand and perhaps it?s not as big an issue from the bench but definitely factors into my choice of scope.

Thanks for weighing in on this.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E American .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline John A.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
You're very welcome.

It's just something that I too have noticed over the years.

As I mentioned, I hunt with mine a lot.  That's mostly off hand.  Sometimes supported by a tree limb or fence post, but usually off hand.

Not the same as bullseye shooting, but from a practical standpoint, I don't want to wound an animal either.  I want good shot placement and a quick 1 shot kill is ideal.

Headshots on squirrels isn't terribly uncommon.

Offline 60DRB

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
To piggy-back on this relevant question,

I'll soon be getting a 455 in .17 HMR (maybe the American combo) and was wondering what would be a good (single/shared) scope for .17 HMR and .22 LR. I haven't bought a scope for a rim-fire in over 30 years. I should say I am much of a traditionalist and not interested in illuminated or "busy" reticles.

Thanks, Greg

Online Phlyers13

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
I have vortex crossfire 6-18 on my 455. Perfect for target shooting at 50 but gets pretty yellow at 100. I?ve been considering stepping up to the weaver T-36.  For hunting it?s hard to go wrong with any 3-9.

Offline John A.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
To piggy-back on this relevant question,

I'll soon be getting a 455 in .17 HMR (maybe the American combo) and was wondering what would be a good (single/shared) scope for .17 HMR and .22 LR. I haven't bought a scope for a rim-fire in over 30 years. I should say I am much of a traditionalist and not interested in illuminated or "busy" reticles.

Thanks, Greg

I would recommend buying a dedicated scope for each.  Zero'ing and rezeroing all the time would get old after a while.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• It Ain't Easy Being Me!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
This is "just me" but the three guns I hunt and plink with all wear (the now out of production) Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR A/O models with the Fine Duplex Reticle. The two I use strictly on the bench both have Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm A/O, (Varmint Hunter's Reticle). The 452 G/F is wearing a 1995 version of these same optics.

And you are right Sir about too much magnification. More isn't always better.
Clayton

Offline Jiva

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
This is "just me" but the three guns I hunt and plink with all wear (the now out of production) Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR A/O models with the Fine Duplex Reticle. The two I use strictly on the bench both have Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm A/O, (Varmint Hunter's Reticle). The 452 G/F is wearing a 1995 version of these same optics.

And you are right Sir about too much magnification. More isn't always better.

I have been lusting over the 3-9x33 EFR for several months, there's a new version, the vx freedom, that would be perfect for my needs. So far that and the V16 are my top two choices.

BTW, Wiley, a little birdie told me you'll be needing a new scope sometime soon, yes?  ::) Looking forward to hearing (seeing) more on that.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E American .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR