Author Topic: Shadow2 - Worth It?  (Read 28114 times)

Offline rhart

Shadow2 - Worth It?
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
I paid $880 for my SP01 Shadow1 and it appears the cost of the Shadow2 is at least around $300 more ($1179 is the cheapest I've seen so far). After shooting my Shadow2, I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the way it shoots from my Shadow1, but I like the new checkering and the higher undercut as well as the longer barrel. I also like the rear height-adjustable sight. The trigger pull is about the same as my Shadow1, but I like the looks of the Shadow2 stock hammer better. So, is it worth the extra money for the Shadow2?

I thought the best way to figure it out was to consider what it would take to make the Shadow1 like the S2 (all prices are guestimates):
Front and back strap checkering  - $150
Rear sight - $50
Long slide - $? (longer barrel alone is probably around $200)
Undercut trigger - $150
Re-finish after checkering and trigger undercutting - $150

I could be way off on my pricing since I don't really know, but looking at it this way I don't feel bad for paying $1299 for mine from CZC. After seeing them for as low as $1189, I get a little buyer's remorse, but if I'd gotten it from somewhere else who knows what the accuracy would be (mine came with a target from CZC that showed a hair over 1" group). Most people who shoot competition will put a competition hammer in any CZ they compete with which is why I didn't include the hammer in the mix. While the hammer is more 'sporty' looking, it is not that good - it doesn't cam when pulling the trigger (neither did my S1), but there is a little creep before the release. It does have a short reset to the trigger, but there is some pre-travel in SA.

To be honest, I didn't think the Shadow1 was worth that much more than a SP01, but I paid around $280 more to have one, so I think the Shadow2 is worth the price over the S1 for someone who values the improvements.

Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).
- You can only fight the way you practice.
- If you do not control the enemy, the enemy will control you.

Offline aceman4

Re: Shadow2 - Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:58:10 AM »
I've been debating the same thing over the last few days. Happy that I paid $1189 for mine, but just realized mine didn't come with a test target. I guess that's why CZC was shooting them and providing a test target.

I paid $880 for a Shadow 1 and believe the $300 premium over a standard sp-01 was worth it. I was certainly more accurate with it over a standard SP-01. I guess you could have installed a CGW pro kit and a Fiber front sight for around $300 in a standard SP-01 and had tuned better than a Shadow. Sometime folks are a roll mark whores and prefer a shadow rollmark.

Now the premium for a Shadow 2 over a Shadow 1 is certainly debatable. The fiber optic front sight is a wash and I believe the premium you're paying is for longer barrel, new slide design, frame checkering, trigger undercut, a higher grip, etc. I love it and it's worth every penny IMHO. No buyers remorse here.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:45:20 AM »
I've been debating the same thing over the last few days. Happy that I paid $1189 for mine, but just realized mine didn't come with a test target. I guess that's why CZC was shooting them and providing a test target.

I paid $880 for a Shadow 1 and believe the $300 premium over a standard sp-01 was worth it. I was certainly more accurate with it over a standard SP-01. I guess you could have installed a CGW pro kit and a Fiber front sight for around $300 in a standard SP-01 and had tuned better than a Shadow. Sometime folks are a roll mark whores and prefer a shadow rollmark.

Now the premium for a Shadow 2 over a Shadow 1 is certainly debatable. The fiber optic front sight is a wash and I believe the premium you're paying is for longer barrel, new slide design, frame checkering, trigger undercut, a higher grip, etc. I love it and it's worth every penny IMHO. No buyers remorse here.

That's weird that it didn't come with a test target. I thought they all come with that electronic target from the factory?

Offline spiritfox

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »
Hmm.  Yeah my Shadow 2 from CZ Custom did have a test target. 

Offline Roikyou

Shadow2 - Worth It?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Curious if cz custom does an inspection, shoots it and provides the physical target. (Thats more of an observation as my shadow 2 from cz custom did come with a physical target) Maybe thats why theres a little more of a premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
CZC does physically inspect every Shadow 2 which is why it took them a while to ship them out.

Offline rhart

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
My S2 target from CZC is a physical target with real bullet holes. My Shadow1, which I also bought from CZC, came with an electronic target print out. Every new CZ that I have purchased before this one, came with a target.

I wonder if anyone else, besides Aceman, received one without a target.
Musashi:
- In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance. (situational awareness).

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Don't think aceman purchased from czc

Offline TCKev

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
By all accounts I've read and watched people love the S2.
Tight Groups

Offline rhart

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
Curious if cz custom does an inspection, shoots it and provides the physical target. (Thats more of an observation as my shadow 2 from cz custom did come with a physical target) Maybe thats why theres a little more of a premium?

I believe they do inspect and shoot. If you look at your target, it says CZC on it and it's not the typical target that CZ includes with all the additional info. Mine even had a notation that the sights were adjusted.
Musashi:

Offline rhart

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
By all accounts I've read and watched people love the S2.

I really love mine. The sights were set just the way I like when I got it - 6 O'clock hold. I didn't have to adjust anything.
Musashi:

Offline Roikyou

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
Thats a nice touch they test fire and adjust the sights before they ship. I don't think most will do that.

Offline rhart

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
After shooting it a couple of times now, I'm thinking about putting a competition hammer in it. I think that will make it even sweeter.
Musashi:

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »
Rhart, it really comes down to: Are you happy with what you got for what you paid. If the answer is yes, then it was worth it.  IMO, I'd disagree with all the price breakdown stuff.  Don't try to justify it if you're happy, just shoot it and have fun!  Much of this comes down to preference and a new model with a slightly different design.  I still think the S2 is a little pricey and definitely wouldn't pay a premium for one, but it's a great gun just the same.  Mine came from CZ-USA so no test target here, either. 

Offline rhart

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
Rhart, it really comes down to: Are you happy with what you got for what you paid. If the answer is yes, then it was worth it.  IMO, I'd disagree with all the price breakdown stuff.  Don't try to justify it if you're happy, just shoot it and have fun!  Much of this comes down to preference and a new model with a slightly different design.  I still think the S2 is a little pricey and definitely wouldn't pay a premium for one, but it's a great gun just the same.  Mine came from CZ-USA so no test target here, either.

Interesting that the S2 guns seem to be shipping from the factory without targets. I'm happy with the gun.
Musashi: