Author Topic: Returning shooter  (Read 3629 times)

Offline jmck

Returning shooter
« on: October 20, 2018, 12:11:20 AM »
I used to shoot and hunt as a teen through to my 30s.  For one reason or another i let my licence expire and sold my rifles. 17 years on i had my first shots of pistol. Hooked again. Here in Australia getting your handgun licence is no easy task. I am 9 months in to a ten month process. Then a one month wait and i can purchase one pistol  just one for a year, then others on application. 
I have tried a few different pistols, 1911s; 92fs; sp01; walther P220; and a Sig. 226. I am lusting after the shadow 2 but still have not shot one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Returning shooter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Always had a soft spot for Australia, never managed to make it down under. And yes, I liked Vegemite, too, when I could find it locally. Not Fosters, though, ugh. :D  ;D
Welcome back to the addiction as well - I highly recommend the Shadow II, of course, but the others you mentioned all have their own high and low points. I am assuming you won't be able to carry the sidearm for defense? If just for range, the Shadow II will rule the roost right there. The CZ grip is one of the most natural I have ever found. The SP-01 will give you a very good close second to the Shadow II, being brothers of the same mother, as it were.
Again, welcome to the forum, and BTW, when we have giveaways we DO ship non gun prizes to other countries. There is at least one guy down in Oz with a CZ-USA hat I shipped before.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »
Welcome Aboard !
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Rickytick

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »
Hi from Oklahoma.

Offline jmck

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 02:16:58 AM »
Thanks for the info and the welcome.  Ordered shadow 2 in black and blue. 28days and it's Christmas

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:50:34 PM by jmck »

Offline czsuby

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »
Nice buy!  Welcome from South Carolina.

Offline Texf6

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »
Welcome from the Lone Star State of Texas.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »
Greetings from Texas!

Offline ssqman

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
That was a great choice. What do you have to do to get ammo for it?
Would you mind sharing the cost of such things compared to US dollars?
No, Google is not my friend

Offline jmck

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
That was a great choice. What do you have to do to get ammo for it?
Would you mind sharing the cost of such things compared to US dollars?
Factory ammo cost around $22USD per 100. Have to show your licence and gun rego with purchase. You can not purchase a ammo in a caliber if you dont own a gun of thr same caliber. Ammo sales are tracked, there is a law about having too much ammo, but no definition of what too much is.

Offline jmck

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
I thought add more detail to the story of how i returned to the shooting fold. Here in Australia getting a firearm licence particularly for handgun requires a few hoops to be jumped, so you might gind that interesting .
Last Christmas my wife bought me a come and try session with tethered pistols ($150). Each gun had a sort of metal guide bolted to it, which ran vertically between 2 cables.  Pistol were held in place buy these moving up and down freely but would only move about 15 degrees left and right. I got one magazine in a 22, 38 revolver, 9mm, 45, and a 357. Well i caught the bug.
So I found a range where i could have a go with un-tethered pistol ($60) . But first you have to have a 2 hour safety / instructional lecture. Then you get 50 shots with a 22lr Ruger mark 3, with one on one supervison with the RO.
Next step: i have to get 2 personal references and apply with police for permission to join the pistol club. Wait for approval. Next join the club and complete safety course. Then apply again to the police this time for a rifle licence. 
While waiting at least 12 week  for my rifle licence i can at least shoot club guns, including pistols. I wont even bother going into the restrictions on types of rifles (and pistols) but know that they are very restricted.
Each vist to the range must be documented both at thr club and in my own record book.
Ok after having a rifle licence for 6 months i am allowed to apply for handgun licence. I need a letter from the club confirming my membership anf having completed the required number of shoots (4 i think). Now another 12 week wait.
Ok finally my handgun licence is approved and i am allowed to purchase  one hand gun (for thr first 12 months)
But first i need to apply for a Permit To Aquire,  with police. More restrictions apply barrel length, caliber etc. Minimum 28 day wait.
Which is where i sm now 1 year later. Day 30, been appoved but waiting for the paperwork to come through. My shadow 2 at the club waiting for me.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:46:25 AM by jmck »

Offline jmck

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 12:55:42 AM »
Well almost exactly one year after deciding to get back in to shooting finally got it. But still haven't shot it . Next weekend i go to the range

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 01:22:55 AM »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:11:23 AM »
...wow... :o When you complain of having no shoes, then meet a man with no feet...I feel for you, amigo. I thank God I live in Arizona for that reason. Come visit, weather is sort of similar, try all kinds of firearms that would give your government the vapors!
Very nice pistol sir, an excellent CZoice! Do you have to leave it at the club, or can you take it home with you? Since you have the rifle license again, will you get another rifle - CZ makes some wonderful bolt action rifles in centerfire and rimfire.
"Too much ammo?" Ain't no such thing...

Offline ssqman

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
That looks awesome! Did you get 17 rd magazines with it or is that not allowed? Welcome back.
No, Google is not my friend

anything