Author Topic: CZ-97 size question  (Read 5810 times)

Offline 3502dav

CZ-97 size question
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:35:35 PM »
Hi all,
Can?t find a CZ-97 to handle locally so I would like to ask how the gun compares in size to a Sig P226.
I have medium sized hands and carry a P226 at work. I need to adjust my grip to decock the weapon but otherwise no major issues.
Is the CZ-97 comparable?
I want to add one to my growing collection. Currently have a PCR and a Rami BD that?s back at CZ for some warranty work.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tok36

Re: CZ-97 size question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
The depth of the grip in relation to the width seams to be the catch for some folks. The grip of the CZ97 is quite deep for its width. I changed out the grips from the aluminum thin grips to the available thicker rubbers grips and that made the pistol much more comfortable for me. With the factory grips mine felt like holding a 2X4 with a gap at the palm. I have also heard of many people preferring the thin grips fir a number if reasons.

Here are the grip dims.

Depth - 2.280 (measurement taken at the grip scerw)

Width 1.270 (Rubber grips)

Width 1.132 (Aluminum thin grips)

Here are a few comparison pics.

<---CZ 97 / CZ SP-01--->

<---CZ 97 / CZ 85B--->
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:18:41 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 3502dav

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:44:52 PM »
Thanks. The pictures helped a lot.  That front to back dimension is long. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »
The depth (it's a longer cartridge) is a problem for most folks, as noted.  I had an early 97 and it was just too big for my hand.  Since then you can find much thinner grips and that makes a big difference; had they been available back then, I'd probably still have a CZ-97 -- but I traded it away.

I continue to wonder why CZ made the grip so large, as the Tanfoglio-based version of the CZ in both .45 and 10mm are only slightly larger in the grip than the standard 75B. 

I had a Witness Sport Long Slide and an ASAI One Pro -- the same basic design -- and all used the same magazines and those two guns  fit me much better than the 97B -- so I know that the grip can be made noticeably smaller.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:33:43 AM »
I'm 5'11" and have more or less typical hands for my size. I usually use an XL surgical glove because I sometimes split L gloves when I put them on under stress or with damp hands. 

Most of my experience with larger handguns was with N-frames and 1911s before I got interested in CZs.  When I bought the CZ 97B, most of my shooting with semi-autos was with 1911s, CZ 75s, and the FEG GKK (a S&W 59 clone upscaled to .45). 

I really love the 97B.  It's probably my favorite semi-auto I've ever owned. 

It's been a LONG time since I've handled a SIG 226. IIRC the SIGs seem more "blocky" and do not fit my natural grip as well. HKs are very "blocky" on paper (and true dimensions), but I am comfortable shooting them.

I would say if you are comfortable with a full-size 75/85 series pistol, it's worth a buy.  From what you've posted with your experience with other CZs, it may be on the large size.  If you normally use a two-handed grip, I believe you will find it natural and adapt to it, all that all aside. 

EDIT:  The "depth" of the reach will be the main issue, as Walt and Tok36 have explained very well.  As I suggested, you can definitely adapt to this pistol, but you can't "train" yourself to reach the controls, if that makes sense. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:41:44 AM by Radom »
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:18 PM »
I have not held a Sig P226 but I do own a 97 B. Looking at specs online I believe the 97 is larger than the P226, longer for sure.  I have the California model with the wood grips, the grip size is comparable to a double stack 1911 but a bit longer

I also have a S&W M69 that I put a Hogue N frame mono grip on to help tame recoil from hot 44 magnums, because of the length of the frame in the grips area on the CZ they feel larger than the N frame grip.

I have medium-large size hands, what I consider average, and I prefer the wood grips. I bought a pair of slim grips and ended up returning them because I liked the width of the stock grips more. 

I find the CZ 97 B to be very comfortable. I think I like the wood grip more than thin grips because it adds ergonomics to the grip.  What I have found is that when I shoot the 97 and then shoot another gun, every other handgun feels small and the 97 feels normal, lol.

I highly recommend you buy a CZ 97 if your considering one but go feel it before purchase, unless you have fired other large handguns and the size didn't bother you. But the 97 is not for the small handed.

Hope that helps.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
I've been looking for a 97b as a next gun but looking at the size comparison makes me think it will be too large for my hands.  I run my SP01 and Shadow with thin grips.  I have size medium hands when it comes to work gloves and such. 

I've never shot a Sig P226 so that comparison doesn't help me much.  What about compared to a 1911 or a Beretta 92?

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:55 AM »
I have not held a Sig P226 but I do own a 97 B. Looking at specs online I believe the 97 is larger than the P226, longer for sure.  I have the California model with the wood grips, the grip size is comparable to a double stack 1911 but a bit longer

I also have a S&W M69 that I put a Hogue N frame mono grip on to help tame recoil from hot 44 magnums, because of the length of the frame in the grips area on the CZ they feel larger than the N frame grip.

I have medium-large size hands, what I consider average, and I prefer the wood grips. I bought a pair of slim grips and ended up returning them because I liked the width of the stock grips more

I find the CZ 97 B to be very comfortable. I think I like the wood grip more than thin grips because it adds ergonomics to the grip.  What I have found is that when I shoot the 97 and then shoot another gun, every other handgun feels small and the 97 feels normal, lol.

I highly recommend you buy a CZ 97 if your considering one but go feel it before purchase, unless you have fired other large handguns and the size didn't bother you. But the 97 is not for the small handed.

Hope that helps.

I am also talking about the OEM wood grips.  I tried the "rubber" CZ-USA grips for the 97B, which are thinner, but I prefer the feel of the OEM wood grips.  In my case, I prefer the wood for the palm area. 

The 97B is comparable to the 1911 and 92FS, but it is a little bigger overall.  It's not a big difference, but it could be critical for some people.  I was sort of surprised that Walt found it too large, because we have very similar interests in handguns. 

Like California Gunner, 9mm pistols seem a little small to me after the 97B.  Based on what you have said (M gloves, etc.), I would definitely try to at least hold one before buying. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:56:16 AM by Radom »
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline daved20319

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:53:08 AM »
Okay, don't know if this will help or just add to the confusion, but I got some actual measurements today.  I currently own a 97 BD, a Taurus PT 92, and a Colt 1991A1, full size government model.  So here goes.

Grip circumference, min/max:
97, 5.5-5.75
92, basically the same
1911, 5.25-5.625

Grip depth, front to back:
97, 2&3/16
92, 2-2&1/8
1911, 1&15/16-2&1/4 (mine has an arched MSH, so is much fatter at the bottom)

Grip thickness:
97, 1&1/4+
92, 1&7/16
1911, 1&1/4

Like I said, I don't know if this is any help to anyone.  Personal observation, even though the grip circumference of the 97 & the 92 are virtually identical, I find the ergonomics, the fit, of the 97 better in my hands.  Of the three, the 1911 feels the smallest, and again, I prefer the 97's ergonomics.  BTW, I wear large size gloves, but the fingers are usually a bit long.  Mediums usually fit my fingers better, but then I end up ripping out the thumb seam in short order.  Everything's a compromise  ::).  Bottom line, I'd say if you're comfortable with a Beretta 92, the 97 will be fine, if you prefer the 1911, the 97 will probably feel a little large.  Oh, and it's at least a couple ounces heavier than my all steel 1911, empty, fully loaded, it's definitely a chunk.  Later.

Dave

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
Thanks for all the measurements.  Sounds like I would have to go with a set of thin grips to get the size down.  That is what I do with the TS guns I shoot in competition.  I'll go get some measurements off my TS and compare.  I've always felt like the 92 is too big and there is very little contour to the grip so it feels very blockish to me.  The CZ contours are much nicer for hand fit.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
Stock TS grip measurements (stock wood grips installed, measurements taken level with the slide at the grips screw):

Depth - 2.310

Width - 1.350

CZ97BD

Depth - 2.280

Width 1.270 (Rubber grips)

Width 1.132 (Factory Aluminum thin grips)
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
My 97BD with 10 rounds of 230 grain loaded in it comes in at a hefty 49 ounces/3 lbs, one ounce, (measured).  More than most, not as much as a few.  8)

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »
I found and bought a 97b this week.  It is not as big as I had feared and feels really good in the hand.  Not super impressed with the aluminum grips.  I have a set of LOK thin bogies and LOK palm swells on order.  I use thin full checkered on my TS pistols and palm swells on my accu-shadow.  Figured I would just sell the set that I don't like.

Offline daved20319

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »
Mine came with a set of the LOK thin Bogies, didn't like the texture AT ALL, might as well be holding onto a wood rasp!  Also had a set of the factory thin aluminum, no good either, too slick and TOO thin.  Ended up ordering a set of factory rubber grips, much better, although I could wish for a little palm swell, like my PCR, they're still pretty flat.  If you decide you don't like the LOK palm swells, hit me up, I'm planning to order a set eventually anyway.  Later, and enjoy that 97, they are an awesome pistol, and even more so after some CGW love  O0.

Dave

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
Mine came with a set of the LOK thin Bogies, didn't like the texture AT ALL, might as well be holding onto a wood rasp!  Also had a set of the factory thin aluminum, no good either, too slick and TOO thin.  Ended up ordering a set of factory rubber grips, much better, although I could wish for a little palm swell, like my PCR, they're still pretty flat.  If you decide you don't like the LOK palm swells, hit me up, I'm planning to order a set eventually anyway.  Later, and enjoy that 97, they are an awesome pistol, and even more so after some CGW love  O0.

Dave

I'll let you know but I'm thinking the palm swells are going to be my pick.  I run the thin full checkered on my TS open guns and the grips feel fairly comparable.  I don't know that I'll like how aggressive the bogies are but I could sand them down a little. 

The gun has already been cajunized.  It is not as good on the trigger as my accu-shadow but is right inline with my SP01.  Better than my son's S2 though.  That gun hasn't been worked on yet.