Author Topic: More polishing questions  (Read 3605 times)

Offline briang2ad

More polishing questions
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:38:53 PM »
In some of the sticky threads I read about how the grit between the disconnector and trigger bar is the largest problem in smoothing the DA pull. I suppose that this INCLUDES the disco rubbing the frame on the bottom also.  So two questions:

1 - Any videos or picks of HOW/WHERE to polish the disco as not to disable the gun?

2 - Is it OK to remove ALL the metal where the disco rubs the frame in the middle of the tang/ledge - or does some contact NEED to be there?  (I'm talking the middle not the sides where the sear cage sits. 

Thanks.

Offline DOC 1500

Re: More polishing questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
I believe you're talking about the metal frame guns ?  And not the Omega series? 🤔
Just wanted to clarify.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
Yes - a PreB in particular.  Does it MATTER that I eliminate the contact between the disco and the frame?  I have a slight bit of stacking before break and I THINK this is the issue.  Again, NOTHING in the polishing threads about this - no pics of the disco polishing or frame polishing.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
I was just curious don't know anything about the internals of a pre B.

That's a good question though why would the Disco rub the frame?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »
Yes - a PreB in particular.  Does it MATTER that I eliminate the contact between the disco and the frame?  I have a slight bit of stacking before break and I THINK this is the issue.  Again, NOTHING in the polishing threads about this - no pics of the disco polishing or frame polishing.
That's most likely because they're most often replaced with Cajun discos.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=89226.msg678065#msg678065
I just found this thread don't know if there's any helpful tips for you Brian

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
Thanks DOC.  Not much there on the disco or frame.  One thing I do know from experimentation.  Polishing the hammer strut does nothing.  I always do it because it makes you feel good.  I still think the frame/disco interface has some magic to it - but cannot find anything on it.  There is ONE video out there with some talk about it, but no one shows how they hit it. 

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
I agree that polishing the hammer strut has little to no impact. What I found that makes the most difference is the polishing of the trigger bar and the pistol frame where the trigger bar makes contact.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
My 84 is total glass.  I an in the process of fixing the trigger bar spring.  My 88 is now mostly glass like, but the last 1/4 has a bit of binding - and I just have a feeling this is where the frame contacts the disconnector.  I may WAIT to get this when I detail strip to get this gun cerakoted.  I was able to get a carbide stone in there with the hammer cocked and the slide off to poilsh the forward portion on the frame - but of course I cannot get to the rear portion and complete the job will I detail strip again.  (I'd go in and do it now, but I get a tad nervous about putting the safety IN AND OUT. 

IF you look at the close up of Smecky's pic of the disco and trigger bar interface he states that THAT is the place of the largest amount of grit.  I just cannot see exactly which interfaces hs is referring to. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:40:39 PM by briang2ad »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
I believe you can always get another Disco. If you can just go ahead and trim it down see what happens. If it causes problems put in the new Disco
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:17:23 AM by DOC 1500 »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
The disconnector has a lot of faces that make contact. I always polish the bottom of the disconnector where it contacts the frame. I also polish the frame at that spot.

Your hammer may be rubbing on your frame. If so those are contact points to really smooth out.

The top of the disconnector also rubs of the bottom of the sear cage. Polish both spots very well.

The trigger bar also contacts the bottom of the disconnector. That?s a lot of the DA trigger pull. Smooth those spots out. Don?t remove material or change the angles of those contact points or you can change your DA timing.

Polish inside the hole on the disconnector where the pin holds it to the hammer.

I think those are the main spots I didn?t notice mentioned yet.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:21 PM »
In some of the sticky threads I read about how the grit between the disconnector and trigger bar is the largest problem in smoothing the DA pull. I suppose that this INCLUDES the disco rubbing the frame on the bottom also.  So two questions:

1 - Any videos or picks of HOW/WHERE to polish the disco as not to disable the gun?

2 - Is it OK to remove ALL the metal where the disco rubs the frame in the middle of the tang/ledge - or does some contact NEED to be there?  (I'm talking the middle not the sides where the sear cage sits. 

Thanks.

Do these help Brian?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
Great - thank you sir! 

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:43 AM »
So... does beveling the BOTTOM of the disconnector tab (where one is to be "CAREFUL" - left most note in second pic) provide a smoother break in DA???  I ask, because my trigger is now smooth as glass EXCEPT at the break  - it kind of hangs up, and does too much over travel. 

Or does one also work on the trigger bar?  Thanks.

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:25:52 AM »
It could provide a smoother break yes, you would need to look at your trigger bar some of them can be rough and see if the bottom of the tab is hanging hang up there right before it slips off. Start removing material from the lower part of that tub tho does advance your DA timing so don't go crazy there.

But like what was said above you can always buy a new disco, factory ones are cheap but CGW ones are better.
www.AerospaceArms.com Current Deals:
Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel $148
21% off all magpul products code: "magpul"