Author Topic: Spotting scope - what is a good one to see .223 holes in a target at 300 yards?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to have to shoot the scope to remove frustration with it.

I was looking at the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 and the Leupold 20-60x80.  Only problem is, I can't "test" them in the store to see if it will do what I want.  I do know that the Diamondback 20-60x60 does NOT have enough eye relief for me.

They are each around $500.  Do I need to spend the 900 on a viper or 1500 on the Razor to see these holes?

What do you think about the 500 ones?  What would you recommend - or what would you stay away from?

I was looking at the Vortex due to the warranty.  I have their scopes and range finder and like both.

Thanks!
Dan
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Phlyers13

You are really going to be pushing it.  I have the razor and seeing 223 at 300 is doable under the right conditions but not ideal. Your best bet may be a target camera system.  In my experience, the difference between a $100 spotter and a $500 one are minimal. Even when you step up in price, seeing 223 holes are going to be tough and require the right lighting and outside temperature. Just a hair of mirage will ruin your view completely. I have a vortex razor 60x and can see 308 holes out to 400 on shoot n sees. That?s about it?s limit.

Offline Joe L

My solution is not practical for most shooters, but I will tell you about it anyway.  I set up a video receiver and 7" video monitor at the shooter position and a video camera at the target with output to a transmitter.   This was maybe five years ago and there are many commercially available systems out now with more transmitter range and better video resolution using HDMI camera output to the transmitter.  This also gets away from the mirage problem as the target camera can be a short distance from the target.  I don't recommend a fixed focal length camera at the target.  I use a $200 Canon consumer grade camcorder (same one I use for pistol videos but with the transmitter), place it on a cheap tripod with a ball head, just off the bullet path in a stable position, adjust the camera zoom to show the target area of interest, turn it on record and drive back to the shooting line.  I've used it to 500 meters and video the shots as they hit the target as well as view what the target camera is seeing real time as I am shooting.  No need for a scope. 

Here is an example of a .308 at 547 yards.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
Gopro and bluetooth is probably the cheapest as an older version would work fine.  Gopro or almost any digital camera and wireless system to any size monitor probably next. Even the super cheap wireless systems from China work well in line of sight situations. RC type batteries for power eliminates lead acid battery use or cheap gell battery. All systems work well on 8-12 volts and donte draw much so small batteries work fine and are much easier to lug to targets.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Joe L

I would probably hit a GoPro if it was close enough to show .223 holes and a 6"x12" target.  Lens is very wide angle of view.  I haven't "shot" a Canon camcorder yet!! :) :)
Joe

Offline Phlyers13

Joe that?s a great setup and some fine shooting!

Offline Joe L

Joe that?s a great setup and some fine shooting!

I don't get to shoot the rifle much, but I love it.  20 rounds and I'm done!!  That is a Savage .308 with no changes except an XLR chassis.

Joe

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
I would probably hit a GoPro if it was close enough to show .223 holes and a 6"x12" target.  Lens is very wide angle of view.  I haven't "shot" a Canon camcorder yet!! :) :)
Joe

Maybe you need a super small steel target for protection  O0
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Dan_69GTX

Thanks to all who answered!

I've never used a spotting scope, so it is good to have advice from folks who have.

Offline eastman

Joe

Put a chronograph next to the GoPro to attract any stray bullets   ;D
I don't look like my avatar!

Ron M.

Joe

Put a chronograph next to the GoPro to attract any stray bullets   ;D

Been there, done that, said a lot of bad words.

Offline Dasashooter

You are going to need a very high end spotting scope to see that smaller of hole at 300. Even then it can be iffy. Best option is camera or steel target. If those aren?t an option by the best you can afford but realistically you need to be up in the really good glass and large objective range likely at least the razor in the largest if not even higher end like meopta/swaro/hensoldt.

Offline Dan_69GTX

Thanks to all who replied!  I really appreciate the input.

For now I am getting the Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 scope.  B&H photo has it for $459 and it includes the a vortex tripod.

I borrowed a 20-60 scope this past weekend and it did OK, but was a cheaper scope.  I'd rather not fork out $1500+ for a great scope since it isn't something I'll be using a lot.  I'd rather use the "extra" money for other things - the 97B, ammo, bullets, powder, tires for the truck, etc.  I might look into the camera systems later.

Offline BG ARMORY

Leupold all the way. I've had no good experience with vortex optics

Offline Dan_69GTX

Leupold all the way. I've had no good experience with vortex optics

Could you please elaborate on both?

Why Leupold, what have you liked about them?  What models are you referring to and what about them is better than other scopes that you have tried?  Have you compared these to other brands besides Vortex?

"no good experience with vortex optics" - again,  please elaborate.  Just one of their models or several?  What types of optics have you had trouble with - rifle, spotting, binoculars?  What were the issues?  If possible, were you able to attempt to resolve the issues?

Thanks!

anything