Author Topic: Firing Pin Retaining Pins  (Read 12981 times)

Offline Walt Sherrill

Re: Firing Pin Retaining Pins
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »
About 15-17 years ago, I didn't believe that the firing pin retention roll pin could break from repeated dry firing. I had, by then, had many CZs and had dry-fired them a lot.  I didn't believe that there was a problem, despite the fact the the CZs I bought new (just 2-3) came with a crappy green plastic shell casing to be used like a snap cap, and had a user manual warning to NOT dry fire unless that plastic piece was used.

I was a moderator on the forum at the time, and saw a number of folks posting about the problem, but I was still skeptical about it being more than an unusual quirk of some guns.

Then I bought a NEW CZ-40b, and within a week or two of purchase, after some dry-firing, I broke the firing pin retention roll pin.  (I picked up a new roll pin at the local hardware store, cut it to length, and continued.)  As suggested above, I'm sure thousands of shooters have dry-fired their CZs without issue, while hundreds (maybe many hundreds) have had a problem.  It was like the luck of the draw -- some of us just got one where all of the screws weren't screwed tight, just right.

That said, firing pin stops don't fail.

I think CZ screwed up with what appears to be a COST-SAVING move, and now that it's etched in granite, CZ is not likely to change how it builds  its B models.   

But the fact that CZ is continuing to make more costly models with firing pin stops tells me that they are sensitive to the issue... 

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »

But he's using a solid pin FPRP which I read was not a good choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So is the solid pin bad for just the extended firing pin, or also for the factory pin?

I wouldn't use them with either firing pin.  The CGW extended firing pin is a hardened steel and I assume the factory part isn't as hard and thus would be more susceptible to damage.

Quote from: CGW
Description
TECH TIP:  Why not a solid firing pin retaining pin?  We tried that and found that a solid pin will soon damage the firing pin, causing peening.  This peening or mushrooming of the firing pin causes the pin to drag in the firing pin channel = light strikes.   A solid firing pin retaining pin can also get stuck in the slide.  We have machined several from customers slides that would not drive out.

Install the 61100 spring steel retaining pin with the open end at the 12 0’clock position.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
I have solid pins from cz custom. That I need to take out now rather have the roll pin fail than the firing pin. There is home depot close to where I live what type of pin should I buy?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
I have solid pins from cz custom. That I need to take out now rather have the roll pin fail than the firing pin. There is home depot close to where I live what type of pin should I buy?

The best pin so far I've found is this:
61100 Firing Pin Retaining Pin
Available at "other" Home Depot, known as CGW. There is only one type, perfectly produced to fit CZ  handgun. No needs to look for it between shelves nor cut to length.   ;)
Why don't to keep things easy way?

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2020, 09:25:22 PM »
I just ordered 15 pins from amazon that where posted in the video. Rather have 15 for the same price. He has a video of 10,000 rounds through an sp01 and the pin holds up well and doesnt damage the firing pin. Link is below. Check the reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastener-014973221416-Piece-15/dp/B00L1IS9EY

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2020, 10:20:32 PM »
I just ordered 15 pins from amazon that where posted in the video. Rather have 15 for the same price. He has a video of 10,000 rounds through an sp01 and the pin holds up well and doesnt damage the firing pin.
Yeah... this one definitely better option than Home Depot  :)

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:45 PM »
I just ordered 15 pins from amazon that where posted in the video. Rather have 15 for the same price. He has a video of 10,000 rounds through an sp01 and the pin holds up well and doesnt damage the firing pin.
Yeah... this one definitely better option than Home Depot  :)
That's for sure cajun is a good company. I have a cz 75 and p01 with their parts. But these pins are a regular maintenance part. Wish the shadow models where available in cali. Shadow 2, shadow sp01 or shadow compact. Thanks for the input. Guy on the forum are always helpful.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »
Interesting find.  I think I'll order some and try one in the slide of the gun I dry fire with, to see how it holds up compared to the CGW pin.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2020, 12:56:43 AM »
Interesting find.  I think I'll order some and try one in the slide of the gun I dry fire with, to see how it holds up compared to the CGW pin.

I'm ordering too from Amazon - the 3mmx20mm ones linked a few posts up. A while back, I ordered 50 - 3mm x 20mm roll pins from China on Ebay for like $3 but the chamfer or taper quality on these pins were terrible / inconsistent. These Amazon pins seem to be tapered on one side only which is fine because the other end gets the kiss from the punch. CORRECTION: These Amazon 3mmx20mm pins are chambered on both ends.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 03:13:22 PM by john seeley »

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Here is an update on the FPRP.
My CZ has 8000 rounds and the roll pin 7000 rounds with as many dry fire practice.

Terrific news. Thanks for the update. And this is the FPRP you bought on Amazon I assume:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z3WG0T0

How do you clean the Firing Pin chamber and do add lube or leave dry? Thx.

Yes it is the one I bought from Amazon, but I want to make it clear, that many other pins will work as well, including (but not limited to) the CGW pin.
For the cleaning part, I go down the chamber with a Q-tip, lightly soaked in solvent, then repeat the process with a dry Q-tip.
Watch out, the cotton part can get stock inside the chamber, and a paper clip can push it out  :o
I usually don't lube the inside the chamber nor the firing pin as it might attract grime, and what you can witness in the video, is the firing pin right out of the slide before any cleaning being done. So it was pretty clean. The channel was just a little bit dirty, and the rest of the gun was very filthy, as my clean up schedule is set as every 1700 rounds.
Thanks for the tips. I subbed to your youtube and ordered pins from amazon as well. Your video is a lot of help. Keep the CZ in action a lot longer and reduce damage to parts. Brilliant find thanks again.

Offline mkd

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
my p-01 in 2012 had the rolled retaining pin from the factory. in one of my early modifications i installed a solid hardened pin from either CGW or CZcustom parts! one or the other but i do not remember which one! after 8 yrs and maybe a 1000 rds on the pistol i recently put the extended firing pin in when i did the reach reduction kit. low and behold the solid pin had half moon gouges out of it where the firing pin cutout had been making contact. I knew of the retaining pin issue shortly after purchasing the pistol and had always used a piece of rubber tubing as a strike pad for the hammer. Really not sure why the solid pin had such damage but i replaced it with the latest pin offered by CGW . as an owner of a CZ with very light use i am  prone to believe that it is worth your while to assess how your pistol wears these pins and inspect or change them accordingly. neither the original or the replacement (cure) was issue free. won't believe the latest is either till i see it for my self. will be monitoring two guns that have the latest retaining pins.

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2020, 08:09:57 PM »
Pins arrived last week haven't been able to replace the parts. Package does not specify where pins are made. Will update on pin durability in the future.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2020, 09:16:49 PM »
That's for sure cajun is a good company. I have a cz 75 and p01 with their parts. But these pins are a regular maintenance part. Wish the shadow models where available in cali. Shadow 2, shadow sp01 or shadow compact. Thanks for the input. Guy on the forum are always helpful.

I am not convinced that once the CGW pin is installed that the Firing Pin Retaining Pin is a regular maintenance part. I have seen too many examples of CZ owners that have put in excess of 10k rounds through their CZ with no significant damage to the CGW FPRP. I have a CZ RAMI on my desk that i dry fire on a daily basis. This RAMI is in factory stock configuration aside from installing a CGW FPRP. While i generally use an O ring behind the Firing Pin for dry fire, in this case with this RAMI i have not been using one so that i can test the pin. It has been near 4 months now with no damage to the pin. Down the road, when i have more cycles on this pin, i will likely post more about it.

I have no issue with CZ owners seeking out any parts options available to them, but i do not see the CGW FPRP being a regular maintenance part as a reasonable motivator to do so. I am interested to see how things go with the parts that you found, we all learn from this stuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:49:11 PM by Tok36, Reason: Correction. »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Coldhammerforged

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2020, 09:39:18 PM »

I am not convinced that once the CGW pin is installed that the Firing Pin Retaining Pin is a regular maintenance part. I have seen too many examples of CZ owners that have put in excess of 10k rounds through their CZ with no significant damage to the CGW FPRP. I have a CZ RAMI on my desk that i dry fire on a daily basis. This RAMI is in factory stock configuration aside from installing a CGW FPRP. While i generally use an O ring behind the Firing Pin for dry fire, in this case with this RAMI i have not been using one so that i can test the pin. It has been near 4 months now with no damage to the pin. Down the road, when i have more cycles on this pin, i will likely post more about it.

I have no issue with CZ owners seeking out any parts options available to them, but i do not see the FPRP being a regular maintenance part as a reasonable motivator to do so. I am interested to see how things go with the parts that you found, we all learn from this stuff.
This might be asking a lot. Can you remove the pin and take a picture at 6 months and then a year? I want to create a firing pin durability thread. With double action and single action strikes. I have a p01 to be the perfect candidate.

If you do decide to share thanks a million. ammo is supply is low for me and I'm not loaded with cash. so I will mostly be dry fire and like first draw from holster.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
I have more than 1 CZ and I bought the pins from Amazon that are on the link above.
I dry fire 3-4 time a week for 30 minutes as I do drills, granted I will miss a day some weeks and even miss a week some months when going on the boat is a priority
In Mn if its nice enough to be on the lake, dry fire takes a back seat.......

I have the pins as back ups and installed in 4 guns now. I am pleased with them and never give them a second thought now.
Admittedly I have had good luck with them and with my guns so in my opinion they work very well.

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I am just not as concerned about what is working and what might happen. Either way if asked I would recommend them and say put them in and forget they are there. I tend to agree with the regular maintenance theory. The part is cheap, easily accessible, easy to replace, require barely a tool, and insignificant if you look at it from time to time IMHO.

RCG

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country