Author Topic: New SP-01 Failure to feed  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Michigun Man

New SP-01 Failure to feed
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
I just bought my first CZ, an SP-01 manual safety. I ran 200rds of Federal Brass 115gr FMJ and had 2 failures to feed. Today I ran 300rds of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ and had 2 failures to feed again. All four times the rounds were pointing upward at such a sharp angle they did not feed into the chamber, twice with almost a full mag and twice with about the mag half empty. The pistol is stock and I'm using the factory 18rd mags. I just learned that some people think the factory mag springs are underpowered, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I assumed the failures were due to it being a new gun and it just needs to be broken-in, so I did not take note if the FTF's were with the same mag... which I now regret. Any thoughts? Buy +10% mag springs and a reduced power recoil spring?
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness.

Offline Tok36

Re: New SP-01 Failure to feed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
I would clean the mags first. There can be factory goo in them. I am also interested to hear other forum members input on the subject.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
Sounds like the feed lips on one of the mags are too wide. Can you narrow it down to just one of your mags?

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:10 PM »
Was the FTF only happening with the same magazine, and have you tried another one?

Offline Michigun Man

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 12:57:15 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm going run a few hundred more rounds thru it within the next couple days, where hopefully I can isolate the problem to a single magazine.
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness.

Offline adrian

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
     Hiya Michigan Man and thanks for your thread,and you know we love pics,even when they show a issue. Very glad that you made your way to your first cz,hope its one of many more,but I admit that I kinda don't trust a gun when its new outta the box and experience stoppages first time out. I have heard that something like half a dozen out of 15,000 ads is acceptable,so hope that means the next 14,500 will be flawless.
    Guess new to you may not be new as in original owner, please consider letting the cz-usa warranty fix the issue and there toll free number is on the site,just ask to be directed to a smith,or warranty dept. I've even heard that non original owners had issues fixed free,up to new gun replacement,but ya need to reach out to them.
     I think ,without a pick, your description is ok,and describes a ejector issue,as its working in concert with the slides action and improperly grabbing onto the rim of your rounds case,causing the round to point towards the heavens in each of the four stoppages.
     If you described the round pointing towards the front of the gun, I'd lean towards the magazine as the issue,and this might involve adjustment to the width towards the tip,or adjustment of the width towards the rear of the round,or both. I'd caused such a stoppage when not taking care to keep different mags separate, i.e. po-1,po2,sp-01 vs tactical sport,CMate.
     Since you used factory ammo,it ruled it out verses FTF with reloads and HP being culprits.
Just to confuse things, I've also had a spend round point to the heavens like your un spend round,and this often was a result of a limp waisted shot,some call a stovepipe. But have also had a limp waisted FTF where one unspent round is on top of another,stuck in the slide pointing forward. So I'd hold off replacing parts and getting out the pliers for now. Maybe another good cleaning if yours was factory new,may have had some extra heavy lube,some material landed where it didn't belong or such. Using your fancy cz scrub brush little extra attention to the ejector area and wish ya luck. Be well.

Offline Dj1001

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Are you by chance using the factory 18 round magazine with the black follower?

I had nose up FTF issues with my factory 18 rounders but the issues was resolved by installing CZ CUSTOM +10% springs.
https://czcustom.com/cz-75-85-sp01-full-size-magazine-spring-10.html

I've also found that the Mec-Gar magazines with the blue followers in both 17 and 19 round sizes are smoother better built magazines.
17rd - https://grabagun.com/mec-gar-usa-inc-cz7517afc-mag-cz75b-9m-17r-afc.html
19rd - https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/89607/mec-gar+mgcz7519+cz+75b+magazine+19rd+9mm+anti-friction

You might also want to try reducing the slide spring weight. With 115gr range ammo I've had good luck with the 13# and 11# springs from CGW.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/tuners-pac-music-wire-recoil-springs/

Offline Michigun Man

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
Thank's everybody for the advice. To answer some of your questions, I bought the gun brand new and thoroughly cleaned it before use. It did have some factory grease on the rails and the locking lugs, but the mags were grease free. The magazines are in fact the 18's with black followers. I compared the feed lips to eachother and to the Mec-Gar 16rd mags I just received today, neither factory mag appeared to have enlarged or bent feed lips.

Today I replaced the factory mag springs with +10% springs and ran 250 rounds through 'em with no issues :)

Offline cmr287

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
I just bought my first CZ, an SP-01 manual safety. I ran 200rds of Federal Brass 115gr FMJ and had 2 failures to feed. Today I ran 300rds of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ and had 2 failures to feed again. All four times the rounds were pointing upward at such a sharp angle they did not feed into the chamber, twice with almost a full mag and twice with about the mag half empty. The pistol is stock and I'm using the factory 18rd mags. I just learned that some people think the factory mag springs are underpowered, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I assumed the failures were due to it being a new gun and it just needs to be broken-in, so I did not take note if the FTF's were with the same mag... which I now regret. Any thoughts? Buy +10% mag springs and a reduced power recoil spring?

I have a New SP01 and have not had any issues like this. A failure to feed would be due to the magazine, Specifically the Spring. I imagine there are aftermarket springs that are able to be bought to replace them or, I would contact CZ directly and explain the issue. The will probably send you new (maybe improved) springs. If there is a problem that keeps happening, start a thread dedicated to just that. This maybe a way for CZ to see a potential issue with a certain product line and make some changes in manufacturing various components or the stock in which those components are made from.

I hope everything works out for you and your CZ. I absolutely LOVE mine. 
Respectfully
Chris Rogers
U.S. Army Retired Infantryman