Author Topic: CZ 82 SA trigger major problems.  (Read 5917 times)

Offline boddington

CZ 82 SA trigger major problems.
« on: April 06, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
The trigger in DA is perfect.

The trigger in SA sometimes will either not work, or will "slip" and return to DA. this only happens when the trigger is pulled very gently. Basically the gun de-cocks and returns to DA without firing. If I put a bit of on-and-off pressure on the SA trigger, I can even hear a barely audible *click* (at around 12 secs) before this happens like something is slipping or failing to catch. I will probably take a video so that you can see the exact moment there is an issue.

The interesting thing is that the gun will not have this malfunction at all if I push the safety lever down while pulling the SA trigger.

Any suggestions or diagnoses? Sonic cleaning? Sell it as a GSS? Suggestions for gunsmith? Not sure I trust anyone locally, especially not the place I bought it from. I do not think this is a sear spring issue. This thing also looks far too complicated for me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:35:49 PM by boddington, Reason: decocks spellcheck »

Offline adrian

Re: CZ 82 SA trigger major problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
     Hiya boddington and since seeing this is an inaugural post,welcome form phoenix,arizona.
     The thing would be to complicated for me as well to, so no harm there,but since ya made it here,and excellent job uploading a you tube vid,I can't even do a pic.
     Since the things a paperweight till monday,tell us about where you are from and your gun history. What had ya looking at cz's with so much competition these days?
Don't get me wrong,I've owned the 2012 cz 83 and an excellent .380 and great backup, easy to carry and conceal pistol.
     Where did ya come across it ? And mention that you'd bought it from a place you especially don't trust,and no good prospects locally. You're not from the Karrada district in Baghdad perhaps ?
     So there are plenty of custom shops that you can find mentioned here, I believe that the community trusts them,but not wholly sure that would equate to you trusting them, I hope so tho.
     As far as figuring out a hack with running the SA only when pressing down on the safety, this can only cause more harm than good to your platform,as it certainly wasn't designed for it. Well...unless it was designed by M,for in house agents only.
     I'd pass on the sonic soaking idea,as steam cleaning an engine would prolly not fix a fuel or electrical system issue. Da gun is broke,but most likely can be fixed. Even close to brand new cz's under warranty have been totally replaced if the smith made that call.
     Take a minute to visit cz-usa's website,you will find a drop down for dealer throughout the country and connect with one thats close to ya. And close to last on the to do list is pass this on to a new owner unless you can trust yourself to also provide them your you tube link. Cheers. Be well.

Offline boddington

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:11:21 AM »
hi there Adrian!

Thank you for the reply and the welcome! I am in Iowa City. I'm quite new to firearms and firearm culture in general, as I am originally from France. I first got into CZs about a year ago. I purchased a CZ SP-01 as my first firearm! I absolutely love it. Once I had the taste for CZs I bought another, a P07. I really don't know much about firearms aside from what I've seen on youtube. Saw this CZ82 for ~$200 a few months ago at a large gun store that happens to be one of the largest CZ dealers in the area. Turns out it was a dud from day one, unfortunately dry firing it did not reveal any issues. I don't know much about gunsmithing aside from that it is largely a dying skill. I brought this back into the shop and they said, "oh no we don't have anyone here that will work on cz82 or 83s," further solidifying my belief.

As a result I've just left this paperweight hidden away over the winter months. I was hoping a deep clean and maybe some ultrasonic jostling might de-clutter the workings as there is still some cosmoline smell on the gun. If I tried to do it myself, I'd definitely make it into a spread-out paperweight of 52 pieces!

I will check out the dealer section and maybe some of these CZ custom shops. Yeah by saying "GSS/gun-smithing special" I would definitely only sell it as a non-working/parts unit similar to those trainer 82's that are sold with a drilled out barrel. Sucks to get burned by an "LGS" but you win some/lose some I suppose.

Thank you Adrian, I appreciate the reply and the helpful insight

Offline dtomp

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
I have no idea how to fix or even why it's doing what it's doing, but I'd be interested in buying as a GSS. I love to tinker and try to figure out gun problems. Not trying to rip you off, just always looking for projects. I recently bought 2 GSS, so another one wouldn't be lonely. Hope you get it fixed, but if not get back to me. Thanks.

Offline rekelse

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
You might try contacting Barney?s Gun Shop in Collins, IA. He does gunsmithing as well and may be able to figure out the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boddington

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
after taking off the grips for the second or third time, I have figured out the problem area. I will leave this post upon case it helps anyone else out. It is kinda hard for someone with limited experience or knowledge of the 82!

The trigger bar disconnector (#24) and trigger bar disconnector rivet (#25) are both slightly loose, maybe from wear/use, was maybe only held together with cosmoline, who knows. For whatever reason, #24 needs to be firmly pressed against the frame for the SA trigger to work properly. If I apply pressure down on the safety lever (which in turn interacts with #24 in some way) or press the trigger bar disconnector (24) against the frame, the SA trigger works as intended.

I will upload another video and edit this post to show this occurring! not sure how I will fix it yet, or if I will bother, but will update again when I do.

In the video I show the following in order:
1) Firing as normal, the SA trigger fails.
2) Firing while pressing down on safety, works correctly.
3) Firing while pressing the trigger bar disconnector (#25), works correctly.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:52:53 PM by boddington »

Offline Terminatorret

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Great work! Your info is a nice piece of detective work...I hereby present you with a 2nd Amendment Oscar!
Cudos
CZ52
CZ82
CZ83

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
Davy Crockett, hero of the Alamo

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
I agree - I think you have it isolated.

Offline dtomp

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Nice work, I think you got it.

Offline boddington

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Nice work, I think you got it.

Yeah it was right in front of me the whole time, didn't think there would be a loose rivet!

In fact, it looks like the #24 trigger bar disconnector and the rivet holding it on might have been subject to a crude repair attempt at some point... the rivet has at least 1-2mm of wiggle room and freely rotates. There's also a bit of damage on one side of the frame hole. I'm not sure a replacement would be a tight fit? Not really sure how a rivet works haha.

Am I right in thinking that the trigger bar disconnector should be completely stationary part, or should it move slightly during trigger function?

Offline dtomp

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
One of the gss I just bought has a similar problem. I think I'll just order the parts before I tear in to it. I'll just replace everything and go from there. This will probably be a carry gun, and I don't want any chance it might freeze up in the heat of the moment. I'm in the gun at a low price, so the cost of the parts won't really matter. In the end I'll have a gun I know will function and be well below cost of a used one I don't know anything about. Thanks for your work and hope you get yours working to your satisfaction.

Offline Blaiwayw

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »
Look in the access hole in the ejector block.  If the end of the sear spring arm is showing up in the hole,  you will have issues with the trigger.  This photo shows what I mean. 

The sear spring needs to index into the autosafety.  Hope the loose rivet is your problem.  The sear spring would take more effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk