Author Topic: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?  (Read 12410 times)

Offline DOC 1500

what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »
I have recently come across a situation in the family where my daughter may need to start carrying a pistol.
To start off with she is already a very good shot but there will be plenty a practice in the very near future.
 she is only 5 ' 4 " and 100 pounds.
But fights like a bobcat when pushed to the Limit.
I'm thinking a 380 with  Federal HST defense rounds , would be a good size for her. She has shot my po7 and done very well, but for her lifestyle I think  a 380 would suit her much better.
I'm just starting to look at these pistols but haven't decided.
I would like to hear from those who have bought a pistol for their  daughter, and I would like to hear from those who have extensive background of using a 380 and what would you trust your daughter's life with.
1) Safety and handling , LITTLE or NO chance of accidental discharge because of poor controls or otherwise.
2)Reliability , proven weapons.
 3)Shootability, easy to operate and hold good trigger.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline MifflinKid

Re: what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
I am no expert in any of this. Others will be along to help you.

But, for what it is worth, and in my probably worthless opinion, reliability needs to be the number 1 priority if she may need  it to defend her life.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:42 PM »
Let her decide.  Let her handle a variety of handguns to see what fits her hand.  Let her fire a variety of calibers, again, whatever she?s comfortable with is what she will practice with.  It doesn?t matter what caliber it is, it?s whatever she shoots well and is comfortable with.  If she is comfortable with gun/caliber, she will practice with it.  If she practices with it, she?ll become proficient, if she becomes proficient, she will have a much better chance of being effective if, God forbid, she ever has to use it in self defense.
After my wife tested innumerable pistols and calibers she settled on one "small" pistol and one "large" pistol.  The terms small and large are relative to her, thus the quotes.  BTW, my wife is about the size of your daughter, quite petite.  She chose the Glock 43 for her every day carry small pistol.  Mild recoil, supreme reliability, excellent aftermarket support and lightweight.  In addition, absolute simplicity to operate.  Her choice for a large pistol for TEOTWAWKI, is an HK VP9SK.  Supreme ergonomics, light weight, great aftermarket support, reliable, numerous holster options, although she carries in her purse.  BTW, there are quite a few companies who make ladies purses with concealed carry in mind.  Coronado leather and Chameleon bags are two companies my wife uses for concealed carry purses if your daughter desires this route.  Links below.

https://coronadoleather.com/collections/women

https://www.cameleonbags.com/collections/womens

Lastly, few holster makers compensate and adapt their holsters for the curvature of a woman's body.  Kramer Leather does, and specifically makes an OWB holster with this in mind.  Here is a link.

https://www.kramerleather.com/collections/womens-gun-holsters-1/products/womens-belt-scabbard-gun-holster

I have used Kramer Leather for decades, they are absolutely top shelf products.  It is Kramer, as a matter of fact, who made my shoulder holster for my CZ-97BD.  Absolutely excellent.  Good luck.

GS
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:08:03 PM by GeneticallySwiss »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

what 380 pistol to get for my 100lb daughter?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »
Well, two pistols come to mind for me.

The Sig Sauer P238 is a great pistol that handles recoil.  The negatives are that it is a single action only with an external safety, and it must be carried in Condition 1.  Condition one requires more discipline and practice.  The positives are that it is accurate, the slide is easy to operate and that it is lightweight. It is very reliable.

The Glock 42 is another excellent choice.  It has a double action trigger.  Recoil is still manageable and doesn?t hurt the hand.  It?s very accurate with practice. There are a lot of aftermarket parts and magazines are cheap. It is slim and has a single stack magazine.

The Bersa Thunder is a heavier pistol but is much easier to shoot. The slide is easiest to operate. It does have an external safety. It works in SA/DA. 

The Keltec P3AT and Ruger LCP are the lightest and thinnest but the recoil is most stout.  Not my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:55:44 PM by MuzzleBlastMD »

Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:53:30 PM »
My first thought is the S&W Shield EZ. Very easy to handle, accurate enough, excellent controls, and soft shooting. My sister-in-law has and carries one, she's 5' and might hit 100 pounds right after a big dinner. We tried several 380 pistols and ended up with the EZ. Second would be a Beretta 84 FS Cheetah, excellent ergonomics, very soft shooting, and reliable as you could ask.

My wife had an EAA Pavona 380 for a couple of years, my daughter tried it and liked it. Hannah passed her Texas CHL class with the Pavona, she now carries a S&W Shield in 9mm.

I would avoid a PPK they tend to be fussy and hard to load. Also on the avoid list are Kahr 380s, they are hard for most women to cycle and not comfortable to shoot. Bursa 380s are good, but not great pistols, none of the women in my life disliked them, they all seemed to find something that worked better for them.

I think MuzzleBlastMD means a Ruger LCP, those are snappy little beasts, the LCP II is much better.

A suggestion, give a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal a try. Loaded with 32 H&R mag ammo it's an excellent carry gun. My wife and niece both have them and keep them loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 32 H&R Magnum ammo. Practice 32 S&W Long wad-cutter ammo is generally super accurate and fun to shoot. We went through several 380 pistols and small revolvers before the wife and niece settled on the 327 LCR. My wife is 5'6" and the niece is 5'4".

My daughter-in-law tried a bunch of revolvers and pistols, she carries a 3 inch S&W 686+ I gave her. She's 5'11" and can easily conceal a 3 inch K or L frame.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:58:13 PM by Ron M. »

Offline david s

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »
As stated already go with what fits her, an odd ball but excellent option would be the Colt 1903 Hammerless. If she is right handed the controls work easily. It's a bit larger than the current fashion but still very flat and concealable. The limiting factor would probably be the sights, half moon front and smaller notch rear. On the plus side Browning ergonomics.

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it from the LCR (revolver) to LCP (380 ACP Pistol).

I love revolvers and they?re easy to operate but many people struggle with double action triggers.

The Ruger LCR and Kimber K6S have the lightest of the double action triggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
The first thing to consider is how she will carry. Being that petite isn?t going to leave a lot of options unless she is carrying off body which isn?t the best idea. The best bet is to get her into a local shop with lots of options for her to handle, preferably one with a range and lots of rentals for her to try. I would not try to pigeon hole her into a specific style or caliber. The best option is the one she is most comfortable with.

Offline Cortelli

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »
I would echo others that, while you can be helpful in sourcing a wide number of options and ideas for her, and talk about those options and ideas with her very seriously, she ought to be the one making a decision about what might be suitable for her.

Offline adrian

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:07 PM »
     Hiya and thx for the thread. See many operators,chimed in, hearing your families unfortunate need to arm her has arrived. The cz 83 discontinued in 2012 I vote for a consideration, based on its being reliable and carry friendly, mine was a backup that lived in a fanny pack holster. Heres hoping she never has to engage targets as its a very traumatic post story even if she survives a cardinal event without physical injury. Its simply the world we live in with no change in sight. Be well.

Offline eastman

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
a vz82 in 9mm Mak or a CZ83 in .380 is a good shooter. Both are accurate and reliable - they are a lot more enjoyable for practice than the micro-.380s.

LCP is a beast,  but it is a very reliable beast (mine has eaten every type of .380 I've fed to lil Elsie Pea).

The centerfire LCR models have excellent triggers for a DAO revolver (the rimfire versions are a heavier pull). The .38 Special is also an option (along with the .327 Fed mentioned above).

Shield EZ has a good reputation from the people I know who've tried them, but I haven't had a chance yet.

She will have to try out the available options and decide which is best for her.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline copemech

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »
My first thought is the S&W Shield EZ. Very easy to handle, accurate enough, excellent controls, and soft shooting. My sister-in-law has and carries one, she's 5' and might hit 100 pounds right after a big dinner. We tried several 380 pistols and ended up with the EZ. Second would be a Beretta 84 FS Cheetah, excellent ergonomics, very soft shooting, and reliable as you could ask.

I think MuzzleBlastMD means a Ruger LCP, those are snappy little beasts, the LCP II is much better.

What he said!

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 01:39:18 AM »
Smaller guns are harder to shoot and most 380 to me are way more difficult to handle than single stack 9 's . Why 380  ? what advantage does it offer ? I avoided the 380 and went straight to 9 mm . Can your daughter rack a slide ? How small does it have to be ? What is she comfortable with . I helped a fellow female shooter at the range her husband bought her a small lcp 380 could hardly shoot it . She also had a shield she could not rack the slide . Rent some pistols find out what works .

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 04:54:56 AM »
I would take her out to some gun shops and let her handle as many a she desires that way she can pick a pistol she is comfortable with,herself.
That said I have good experience with the Sig P238,the Beretta 84FS,and 1911 style .380's like the Browning.
Stay far and away from the Walther PP,PPK,PPK/S models. They are picky and unreliable in any form.
The new Fort Smith made PPK/S is no exception. My recently purchased example is making it's 3rd trip back to the mothership with reliability issues.

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 06:38:48 AM »
    As has been mentioned, getting to a range where there are several options to try out would be a wise start. Girls can be picky? Beyond that be certain which ever you go with gets broken in and is field tested thoroughly. These little pistols (all brands) seem to be more prone to reliability issues.
    To answer your question more directly, if she's not going to get into shooting as a hobby. I'd go with the G42, it's as simple as it gets.

anything