Author Topic: Anyone load for 44 Mag and 44 special?  (Read 4899 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Anyone load for 44 Mag and 44 special?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
I used to load/shoot .44's a lot.  Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" and a S&W M29 4".

I used mostly .44 magnum brass and some .44 Special brass.  I used Unique for all the lead bullet loads.  It's been working fine for many years more than the 42 years I've loaded it.

Never noticed any issues when shooting .44 Special then shooting .44 magnum brass.  Same for using .38 Special first/middle/last in my S&W 586 or Ruger Speed Six.  Non-issue for me.  I mean, I read about it, but it never happened.  Sort of like all the "1911's are unreliable" threads.  I read them, smile and go on doing what I've been doing.

Now, for the real magnum loads is was mostly 240 grain jacketed hollow points and 2400 powder.  I used some WW296 but mostly it was 2400.  Might have been some H110, too, but people say it's the same as WW296 (but the H110 didn't split cases like the WW296 did - this was later in my Dan Wesson .44 magnum.)

I tried some 180 grain bullets but never got the accuracy of the 240 grain bullets (jacketed or cast).

I used the soft lead bullets (like those greasy Speer and Hornady bullets) with Unique and light loads with no leading issues.  I only used 2400 with the hard cast 240 grain loads which were travelling quite a bit faster than the Unique/soft lead loads.

.44's are fun.  They are good for breaking up rocks, shooting through small trees and appliances, car doors, etc.

One day I was shooting an old water heater tank.  The 230 grain .45 acp loads would dimple the front and I'd find some of them in the dirt in front/under the tank (lying on it's side).  The .357 magnum loads would punch through the front and dimple the back side.  The .44 magnum loads would punch through both sides and go on down range to the dirt bank.  Don't think you can hid behind a chunk of moderately thick iron and be safe from a .44 magnum.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
Thanks
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 03:54:21 AM »
So far, the loads I've got from Hogdon (both 44sp & 44Mag) for HP38, CFE pistol, and Trailboss have specified large pistol primers, no mention of magnum primers. However, they all seem to refer to 8" or greater barrel lengths. Would I be right in thinking this has reference to the velocity achieved with the particular load detailed and just means the muzzle velocity will be different using a shorter barrel?

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
Yep!  MV will vary some depending on barrel length and the type of primer, ie., large vs. magnum, with the magnum primer causing a slight to moderate increase in MV over the large primer.

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:24:39 AM »
Yes, the longer barrel will give greater velocity.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Ruber

Anyone load for 44 Mag and 44 special?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
I used to load 44 mag for silhouette in Blackhawks but recently started to carry a SW 69 (an l-frame 44 magnum thats a bit smaller and lighter than a GP100).  Handloader magazine has a whole issue dedicated to S&W 44’s, but many loads work very well in the Blackhawks too.  Lots of cast and jacketed options.  If you get the chance, pick up a copy through Wolfe Publishing: December 2014 issue, #293.

Out of those, my favorite are max loads of H110 & 240 XTP’s ( Nice in the 69 and also cycle my Ruger Carbine); 250/254 Keith with Power Pistol (great reduced load that is very accurate and still packs a punch from a short barrel);  300 cast performance wfngc over a max charge of H110 and heavy crimp (awesome load in the longer barrels, great out of my Blackhawks, but still decent out of the 69).

I still like using Unique in specials, but Power Pistol is slowly becoming a favorite.

But I do highly recommend getting a backcopy of that issue and reading it cover to cover a couple times.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
Thanks

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
So far, the loads I've got from Hogdon (both 44sp & 44Mag) for HP38, CFE pistol, and Trailboss have specified large pistol primers, no mention of magnum primers.

Magnum Primers are NOT for loads just because "magnum" is in the name of the gun. They are for powders that need extra help with ignition. H110 (aka Win 296) is one that's famous for always needing Magnum Primers. So you could conceivably have a 38Spcl load that used H110, and it would require a Magnum Primer.

Your Lyman load manual should tell you which powders do better with them.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

skin

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
 Winchester lp primers are for Std and mag loading. Winchester to my knowledge only makes one lp primer. Hope this helps some.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
So far, the loads I've got from Hogdon (both 44sp & 44Mag) for HP38, CFE pistol, and Trailboss have specified large pistol primers, no mention of magnum primers.

Magnum Primers are NOT for loads just because "magnum" is in the name of the gun. They are for powders that need extra help with ignition. H110 (aka Win 296) is one that's famous for always needing Magnum Primers. So you could conceivably have a 38Spcl load that used H110, and it would require a Magnum Primer.

Your Lyman load manual should tell you which powders do better with them.

Thanks

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
Winchester lp primers are for Std and mag loading. Winchester to my knowledge only makes one lp primer. Hope this helps some.

Thanks

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
Grendel- why is it nearly every time you post a question on this forum you reply to at least one poster with snark? As a moderator it would be nice if you held yourself to the same standard of decorum that is expected of others. larryflew actually offered you some helpful advice. That's what people do here. Further, posting of recipes here(especially w/o OAL) has generally been dissuaded.

Well, I'll tell you why in this case. It was because of this:

Sorry, not giving my recipes
...and then a bit about this and that concerning magnum brass.

It rubbed me the wrong way, since my post was a specific request about suitable loads, (and Larry was making a point about not sharing his) and not a general question about whether to use this brass or that brass. While valuable information, it was not germane to my question and probably would have been better in a thread of it's own if it's that crucial.

Anyway, I was probably a bit 'quick on the trigger there', and for that, I apologize to Larry.

My point though, is still valid.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
Kind of like the other info like Win primers that no one asked a question about.  As I said I wasn't home and would have added my 4 recipes when I got back.

If your point is still valid it apparently isn't an apology.  I'll make it a point to stay out of your posts.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »
Kind of like the other info like Win primers that no one asked a question about.  As I said I wasn't home and would have added my 4 recipes when I got back.

If your point is still valid it apparently isn't an apology.  I'll make it a point to stay out of your posts.

Okay.

skin

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »
Win lp primer. Any 240gr jacketed bullet. 22.8gr H110. 

I believe a magnum primer is recommended with H110.

Just clarifying  :)