Author Topic: When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...  (Read 268 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:33:03 AM »
Sorry, no photos or video this time, but I snuck away to the private range I just VERY recently was given permission to use on my own, to get a little 25 yard practice for my upcoming qualification for my Dept, next months. I have been spending a great deal of time with rifles, trying to find the worlds greatest do everything .223 load, and neglecting handgun work, to a distant third...and it showed. Going from the leather at 27 paces with the P10C against a MidwayUSA standard pistol target did NOT yield the results I used to get. I missed that 8x11 paper at least once or twice every six rounds, completely. For the sake of full disclosure, the 25 yard course of fire is from the holster, 2 rounds, 6 seconds. Then from low ready, 2 rounds, 5 seconds, repeat once, total 6 rounds fired. You can miss every single round at 25 yards and still pass...but I have a rep to protect...
Good thing I can make more practice ammo!

Edit to correct weird title oops.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:00:14 AM by armoredman »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:13:02 AM »
I can relate.

When I've been carrying one particular type handgun for a long time, some of my other handguns feel strange.

As for the worlds greatest do everything .223 load.  CCI/Speer 52 grain FB-HP over either H335 or W748.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline coolbox

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
I almost only shoot my SAO CTS, on sp01 frame. I find it difficult to shoot my tuned sa/da SP01 and SP01 shadow, and only end up half decent in comparison. The sao trigger and weight balance of CTS has got so much in me.
I tried slow precision shooting with my latest acquisition, Glock 34 Gen3. If I posted the comparative results, the Glock fan boys would almost initiate a kill order! My scoer could have been bettered by a novice!

Best of luck on your qualification.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:33:07 AM »
It's amazing how quickly pistol skills diminish without training. I allowed myself to be sucked into PCC and RFRO for Steel Challenge all summer. Need to put one of the rifles down and go back to the pistol.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »
I find my handgun skills will deteriorate fairly quickly without regular practice. 

But my rifle skills don’t really do the same.
Of course it may be because I don’t challenge my rifle skills hard enough to really see how much potential is there to begin with?

I cannot wait for temps to drop so I can get back out into the desert to train harder!

Offline Europe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. If you draw from a leather holster as you wrote, maybe you could consider switching to a carbon fiber. In case of an IWB holster (OWB as well) it makes a huge difference. A P10 C is IMHO best service pistol out there. It's capable of constantly shooting 90 points at 25 meters even though it was not designed as target pistol. If I were you I would consider shooting heavier loads meaning 124-147grs and replace the guide rod with a steel one along with the main spring (get it cajunized).

Offline George16

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
It’s so easy to lose proficiency on pretty much anything. This is the main reason I shoot my defensive guns (fully stock trigger etc) every week I go to the range while doing my live fire practice for competition. There’s a huge difference shooting a TSO with 1# 3.2 oz trigger against the 7# DA trigger pull on my Sig P226 MK25.

Good thing though is it won’t take you long to be proficient again. A little bit of practice and your back.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 04:59:28 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. If you draw from a leather holster as you wrote, maybe you could consider switching to a carbon fiber. In case of an IWB holster (OWB as well) it makes a huge difference. A P10 C is IMHO best service pistol out there. It's capable of constantly shooting 90 points at 25 meters even though it was not designed as target pistol. If I were you I would consider shooting heavier loads meaning 124-147grs and replace the guide rod with a steel one along with the main spring (get it cajunized).

While those are some good points, the P-10C is stunt doubling for our issued Glock 17. We now use the Safariland 6360 retention rigs, so i have to fake it coming from a regular rig. They don't quite make those for the P-10 series yet. ;)  I use the High Noon Stingray, as it is very comfortable and the draw ain't that bad. I have a hybrid IWB that fits, but I rarely use it. The two loads I was shooting yesterday are 124 grain Lee cast powder coated load and 125 Missouri Bullet Company hard lubed over Bullseye. Never thought of replacing the guide rod - the one I have seems to be working just fine, no apparent wear.
But thank you for observations!