Author Topic: Extended mag release  (Read 4899 times)

Offline nonamehavei

Re: Extended mag release
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 05:03:40 AM »
I picked up my 97 today. Love it, although I'm glad I have the sao conversion on deck.

The mag catch is definitely steel. I had another idea to modify the 97 catch for a paddle.

Are the Tac Sport and Shadow 2 paddles the same? If yes I'll pull my orange one and use that as a guide.
Yes the paddle part is the same, I believe the button assembly is longer for the tac sport since the frame is wider but the paddle that screws on to the button is the same just checked mine.
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

DJK11

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
I did start a thread on this in the CGW section.  Might be worth checking.

Offline Sebspeed

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
I did start a thread on this in the CGW section.  Might be worth checking.

Here is your thread: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=110595.0

Offline Tok36

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
Here is your thread: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=110595.0

Somehow i had missed this thread. Thank you for the link. I found some good pics to steal in there.  ;D
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Sebspeed

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 10:07:58 PM »
Honestly, if I didn't have the capacity to diy a solution, my next first choice would be filing the frame to clear the "8" style part.

I dont want to spend the kind of money they want for a replacement catch assembly, so I'm going to brew my own one way or another. And it may or may not be a viable, marketable solution.

DJK11

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 07:18:32 AM »
I haven’t gotten off my rear end yet to start my release, other pressing issues.  Yes, what could be more important than modifying a CZ.  Anyway, the paddle mag release is out of stock but the extended release is available to modify and LOK has paddles if a shop built isn’t doable.  It appears the extended is the same as on the P-01 at approximately .10 Longer than the OEM round release.  I have a thought on the anti-rotation and will test when the parts arrive.

DJK11

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 07:38:30 AM »
Do a search and look at images.  I don’t use Google.  There are a number of modified releases and paddles.  Round release and paddle has been done.  Here is one https://thearmourysports.se/images/zoom/4a788ffe-bd86-46f7-a7e4-5d7a3a2ae215.jpeg

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
Honestly, if I didn't have the capacity to diy a solution, my next first choice would be filing the frame to clear the "8" style part.

I dont want to spend the kind of money they want for a replacement catch assembly, so I'm going to brew my own one way or another. And it may or may not be a viable, marketable solution.
I've been looking into and planning modifying the 97 frame to install the "8" part. I think going 90° off the lines on the stocker will put me where I need to be for this to work. Once they paddle version is back in stock, I'm going to do it. The Dremel bit is .1815" od. It will get me very close. The catch measures .195", so a little final fitment and it should work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
I finally completed this project. The USPS took 8 days to get a 2 day Priority mail delivered. Kudos to the CGW sales staff for their involvement. You went above and beyond.

I decided to make a template. I used a #10 drill bit as it was closest to size needed to fit the new mag release. I considered just drilling the frame and then fitting the release, but chickened out. I made the template and taped up the gun. Next I positioned the template and using an awl from my head porting tools, scribed the tape to set boundaries. Then I went to work with the Dremel and diamond bit. I removed material close to tape, figuring it was a hair smaller. I had to massage it until it cleared, then cleaned and tested magazine insertion and release. I had a small drag on the left side of the release and cleaned it up. Mags then dropped right out. The "8" is so much better for me.

Total time took about three hours.

Offline Sebspeed

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »
Good job Steve

DJK11

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
Looks great, good work.  I’m going the round release method.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »
Looks like it came out real clean. Thank you for the pics.

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2020, 10:52:50 PM »
Thanks guys. Looking again at the pics, that release is grungy looking!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
What is head porting?

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »
Modify and engine's cylinder heads to increase airflow in and out. More air = more power. That is the goal anyhow.

anything