Author Topic: first 3 gun match - garand/870/1911  (Read 1187 times)

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
first 3 gun match - garand/870/1911
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
Hooked. tons of fun. cheaper than I though. 4 stages. Shotgun was the most fun. I went to run the old war rigs. the 1911 was finicky, reloads, and a bit dry.

Most stages were just 4-6 rifle targets but since I was running heavy div, only 1 shot required. I still mowed them down to the ping! most pistol shots took 2 or 3.

97B SAO is next on the list for sure. Hoping to try limited 10 too.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:10:49 PM by newageroman »
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Europe

Re: first 3 gun match - garand/870/1911
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:18:03 AM »
this is so cool. Especially this II World War holster. Epic.

Offline George16

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:17:30 AM »
Looking good Ace! 3 gun is fun but the shotgun hurts my shoulder (rotator cuff injury) so bad that I do 2 gun only.

Offline 1KPerDay

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:45 PM »
My MAN! I lumber around and embarrass myself with a Garand/Mossberg pump/1911 in Heavy Metal division too. TONS of fun.

I’ll post some of my footage below for any interested.

by the way it looked like you muzzled your left hand as you drew your pistol. That would have gotten you thrown out at my club. If you insist on using that holster you might want to practice drawing while keeping your left hand grabbing your chest/shirt buttons.  8)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:57:18 AM by 1KPerDay »

Europe

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:20:54 AM »
Great footage. I stopped thinking in terms of "embarrasing myself" long time ago, since I train regularly in my club with European and national IPSC champs, both handgun and shotgun. There are Taran Butler kind of people out there and there are regular people. Of course it is important to improve all the time, but let's face it: those guys shoot 3k ammo a month.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:40:10 AM »
1KPerDay, I see you shoot the M1 lefty and load righty.  I used to know/shoot with a left and every time he loaded that M1 it gave me the willies to watch his left thumb push that clip down in the rifle from the left side of the rifle (with no hand to catch that op rod if it released and tried to chamber that first round).  I know they say your can't get M1 thumb with a full clip in the rifle, but it still looks scary to me.

newageroman, do you have to use that bag for magazines/ammo?  Looks like it slows you down on the reloading stages.  And, looks like you and the 1911 work pretty well together.  Those pieces of steel don't look very big on the film.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1KPerDay

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
1KPerDay, I see you shoot the M1 lefty and load righty.  I used to know/shoot with a left and every time he loaded that M1 it gave me the willies to watch his left thumb push that clip down in the rifle from the left side of the rifle (with no hand to catch that op rod if it released and tried to chamber that first round).  I know they say your can't get M1 thumb with a full clip in the rifle, but it still looks scary to me.
Yeah, I'm actually right handed but left-eye dominant so I shoot long guns left handed/left-shoulder, but load with my dextrous hand. It works out okay. Technically if your M1 is functioning properly the bolt won't release until you release pressure on the top round as you're loading a clip, but I can see how it might be dicey. If you load left hand you can rotate your fingers outboard/right side to hold the op rod back and press the loaded clip in using your thumb. So if the bolt releases your fingers can hold the bolt back. None of my rifles will strip the first round without a bump on the back of the op rod.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 01:29:28 AM »
I'm just stumbling back on this thread. Thanks for the tip - I see that now and thank you for pointing that out, I will make a point to get that right. That was the only movement stage, so the flap remained closed, but not locked/pinned on the other stages so I could just draw normally. I'll gladly take any roasting with a grin and try to get better.
If you guys like Fudd stuff, I run a FB group called Fuddrunners, and also a site called http://vintagemultigun.com/, where they run in 'dega with the CMP. About as close as you can get to Medal of Honor. On the video page there's some FPS vid of the carbine/1911 with bayo action and such. I'd totally run it again, but Rona...
Thanks to all that served!

1KPerDay - I Dig that footage, I love how the whole plate rack fell down on the 2nd shot (I count that as they all got scared and just ran away)..man thats awesome.

I don't have to use that bag, but I went through a bunch of trouble modding it so I figured Id run it. I got bored and took the shotshell boxes and reinforced/waterproofed them with packing tape leaving the top ears pointed up for dividers and just dumped ammo/mags in there.
Of course being my first match I had buck/slug and bird all organized and pistol mags in another box and the Garand clips just stuffed into the shoulder strap (Which did work Excellent!). Brought extra ammo, and all but they only ran birdshot targets.

I kind of used this match as a scout test run, Glad I did and it showed a few issues to work on. I've been working a lot of loads for the 1911 and the new 97 and I think my problem was just a dry gun on the 1911 along with a bit short COAL on my ammo. I just got new CMC POWER RAIL mags to run the 1911 - Never seen them before, they have a folded over and crimped double walled feed lips for only 10$ more. Only ran them a tad but dang they look stout. Next match I'm hoping to run the 97/garand/870 with a bit of a speedier setup, but I sill still need a holster. That Crapplus holster won't fit the 97, so I'll have to work something up.

More to come!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:06:56 AM by newageroman »
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

tello1

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
Hooked. tons of fun. cheaper than I though. 4 stages. Shotgun was the most fun. I went to run the old war rigs. the 1911 was finicky, reloads, and a bit dry.

Most stages were just 4-6 rifle targets but since I was running heavy div, only 1 shot required. I still mowed them down to the ping! most pistol shots took 2 or 3.

97B SAO is next on the list for sure. Hoping to try limited 10 too.

This is really cool and nice.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
thanks, I mostly suck, but don't care its fun.
I LOL every time I see me jump in the box like I'm activating some target or something.
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..