Author Topic: Three Strikes On DW Service  (Read 3582 times)

Offline SteveCNJ

Three Strikes On DW Service
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:55:53 PM »
I've sent my DW Guardian 9mm back for service for a failure to extract properly. I got it back the first time, took it to the range and it failed on the first shot. Sent it back the next day. When I got it back it failed on the first round again. Sent it back and went to the range today. The first shot extracted but the next round wasn't chambered properly and I had a dead trigger. So what's a guy to do? Clearly they have no idea what the hell they're doing and whether I send it back again or 10 more times why confidence do I have im not wasting my time? Zero confidence.  What recourse does a person have?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline bobjd

Re: Three Strikes On DW Service
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 05:07:23 PM »
A couple of questions.
1. Have you tried different brands of ammo and had the same results?
2. Have you had someone else shoot it with the same results?

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:16:58 PM »
A couple of questions.
1. Have you tried different brands of ammo and had the same results?
2. Have you had someone else shoot it with the same results?
I have tried a couple of different brands of ammo and my girls P365 was shooting it all fine.
Nobody else has shot my gun. I'm not limp writing it.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »
what exactly is the failure to extract properly?
case left in chamber? stovepipe?

what is the ammo? factory, remanufactured, reloads?  new brass, range brass?

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
what exactly is the failure to extract properly?
case left in chamber? stovepipe?

what is the ammo? factory, remanufactured, reloads?  new brass, range brass?
Hi Stuart,

The gun fired and the breach would get stuck open with the empty half out and the next round under it.  That was the first 2 times. This last time the brass was ejected and it seemed like the next round was fed but nothing happened when I tried to depress the trigger.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
The tough part of diagnosis over the internet is I don’t know what the recoil spring is and what your ammo is. I am going to make a lot of assumptions here.
If a gun come back with similar, we would inspect for any damage and then test fire to recreate the problem.
The first two incidences you cite sound like a stove pipe malfunction . Usually too strong a recoil spring or less powerful ammo. So I would look to try a different ammo like S&B, Fiochi or something similar. Or get some recoil springs to try.
Also remember Dan Wesson guns are built beautifully tight. So during the first few hundred rounds I would keep well oiled and expect some malfunctions over a few hundred rounds as the gun settles in.

The picture you should, everything looks at an angle it should have fed. So then I would look at that round.

Just because it runs in a glock or Sig, doesn’t mean it will run in a gun that is built to a tighter standard.

Let me know what ammo/bullet spec you are trying to shoot in it?

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
The tough part of diagnosis over the internet is I don’t know what the recoil spring is and what your ammo is. I am going to make a lot of assumptions here.
If a gun come back with similar, we would inspect for any damage and then test fire to recreate the problem.
The first two incidences you cite sound like a stove pipe malfunction . Usually too strong a recoil spring or less powerful ammo. So I would look to try a different ammo like S&B, Fiochi or something similar. Or get some recoil springs to try.
Also remember Dan Wesson guns are built beautifully tight. So during the first few hundred rounds I would keep well oiled and expect some malfunctions over a few hundred rounds as the gun settles in.

The picture you should, everything looks at an angle it should have fed. So then I would look at that round.

Just because it runs in a glock or Sig, doesn’t mean it will run in a gun that is built to a tighter standard.

Let me know what ammo/bullet spec you are trying to shoot in it?
The gun has 1800 rounds through it so it should be broken in. The recoil spring is stock. I've tried Blazer, Magtech, Remington and others. 115 gr all factory new ammo.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 08:00:29 PM »
So how many malfunctions over 1800 rounds?

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:12:00 PM »
So how many malfunctions over 1800 rounds?
I don't recall there being enough to ever have been an issue.

Offline thedude

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »
Have you checked the extraction tension?

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
So I spoke with DW support today. They said after three tries and it's not fixed the last option is to get a refund. Not what I was hoping for as the gun shoots really great. I'm waiting on them for the final instructions and what the refund will be.

Offline SteveCNJ

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:44 PM »
Have you checked the extraction tension?

Hello Dude, I did the check and the extractor held the shell what would seem just right. CZ/DW told me today after 3x the only remedy would be a reimbursement. They didn't give me a number yet. If it's not agreeable would this be a fix that you'd be willing to take on and if so a ballpark number to right the ship?

Offline ams

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Out of curiosity, have you tried to shoot the gun without a magazine? If yes, what happened?

If it was stovepiping, the usual culprit is the extractor losing control of the rim while it is being pushed up by the magazine or the round is not having enough oomph to push the round into the ejector with enough force to send it flying (too much recoil spring). Honestly, I have never found the shake test to be a great help other than perhaps getting to a starting point to adjust from. A test I use, i(f you don't trust yourself, pull out the firing pin for this) load a magazine and as fast and violently as you can, yank the slide back and let it go while having a firm grip on the gun.  You aren't going to match the slide velocity but it is very helpful in seeing things.  If it can go through a box of ammo, I move on to shooting without a magazine.  If it can shoot without a magazine and it extracts properly, I know I have it set pretty good. 

Just another thought, this is a 9mm, how does your ejector look.  The longer ejectors can break.

I am not a gunsmith but I love to build 1911s.  I have ground up built 6 so far plus done a bunch of work on others.   I am not an expert, just someone that messes around. 

Edit: that brass looks pretty rough, is your chamber smooth?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:55:40 PM by ams »