Author Topic: CZ-75 Reduced Power Trigger Spring Install  (Read 4219 times)

Offline jgaffney

CZ-75 Reduced Power Trigger Spring Install
« on: April 12, 2021, 08:34:09 PM »
This is my first effort at adding CGW parts to my CZ-75 Compact. The part I'm stuck on now is the reduced-power trigger return spring.

Both legs of the spring are approximately parallel. However, in the pistol, the short leg goes down inside the trigger and the long leg rests on the inside of the frame at about a 90 degree angle to the trigger.

So far, I have not been able to get the short leg into the trigger without the spring coils binding up sideways between the ears on the trigger. I've already lost one spring on my garage floor when it sprung out and went who-knows-where.

Should I open the spring up some before installing it in the trigger? What trick am I missing?

Offline jpeto

Re: CZ-75 Reduced Power Trigger Spring Install
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:04 PM »
Make a slave pin if you didn’t get the floating trigger pin I change out also. Put the spring in the trigger, hold in place with slave pin (q-tip or something similar cut flush with trigger)then drive the trigger pin through when the trigger is back in the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jgaffney

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 08:46:07 PM »
Jpeto, yes, I have the slave pin. I can't get to that step. Like I said, when I insert the short leg of the spring into the trigger, the coils bind up and twist sideways and I can't get the pin in.

Is it OK to unwind the spring a bit to make it easier to get it in?

Offline jpeto

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
Jpeto, yes, I have the slave pin. I can't get to that step. Like I said, when I insert the short leg of the spring into the trigger, the coils bind up and twist sideways and I can't get the pin in.

Is it OK to unwind the spring a bit to make it easier to get it in?
I wouldn’t recommend it. It goes in, maybe you aren’t holding your mouth right lol but seriously, just wiggle that it around and keep at it, you’ll get it. Also, it’s easier to do outside the frame. I’ve had good luck with just pushing the trigger up through the frame to expose enough of it to get the spring and slave pin in but if that’s not working I would just take the whole trigger bar and trigger out and do it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 09:04:12 PM »
+1 on not unwinding the spring.  It is already reduced weight and further lightening may affect your trigger returning when you want it to.  Just finished a trigger job on my P-07 and yes the hardest thing to do was get the trigger return spring back in.  Did not loose the stupid thing but did have to chase it twice.  My method was to ensure the frame would not move.  I used a stand but could have used a vice. Used the pin to hold the trigger in place on one side and a punch to hold it on the other. Then took the spring in needle nose pliers with the short leg partially supported by one of the jaws.  Made sure the long leg was completely free to bend.  Inserted the long leg into the frame slot and placed the short leg into the hole.  Once aligned simply pushed the pin through the trigger and return spring.  Had to wiggle a little bit the pin through the other side of the frame.  Used the punch to make it even on both sides. Only spring I never found was the sear spring, if that makes you feel better.

Hope the information helps.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 09:33:38 PM »
   I suggest a punch/probe/pick to trap the TRS in place so that you can replace it with the slave pin. A hard surface can also be helpful to push the spring down on, to get it into place.

It also may be worthwhile to take a break and come back the the project fresh.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline flatsixfan

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 09:17:32 PM »
This is my first effort at adding CGW parts to my CZ-75 Compact. The part I'm stuck on now is the reduced-power trigger return spring.

Both legs of the spring are approximately parallel. However, in the pistol, the short leg goes down inside the trigger and the long leg rests on the inside of the frame at about a 90 degree angle to the trigger.

So far, I have not been able to get the short leg into the trigger without the spring coils binding up sideways between the ears on the trigger. I've already lost one spring on my garage floor when it sprung out and went who-knows-where.

Should I open the spring up some before installing it in the trigger? What trick am I missing?

See if any of these might help...........

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=CZ-75+Compact+reduced+power+trigger+spring+install
 ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:43:05 PM by flatsixfan, Reason: Font »

Offline jgaffney

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
Success!

Most of the YouTube videos show the install with the trigger in the frame. Mine is completely apart. Putting the trigger in the vise (with the soft jaws) made all the difference in the world!

Thanks for the help I got here.

Offline Lock-n-load

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »
Good job! Watch out cz’ s tend to multiply!

Offline hansb57

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
I use a cheap and small needle nose plier
I filed a notch across both jaws   (I googled jaws, I'm not English spoken)
And then clamp the sping in the pliers with little force and I'm able to get the spring in with ease.

Offline HollowDawg

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
I have done that spring upgrade and could send you a list of the words that finally made it all come together...but it would definitely have me removed from the forum. Almost had me removed from the master bedroom for a night.  :P

Offline 2ToeRacing

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »
I just installed mine yesterday, it was a pain in the d!ck for sure. I saw someone on youtube and he had some tool to install that spring, but I can't find it anywhere
Thanks
     Barry

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
I just installed mine yesterday, it was a pain in the d!ck for sure. I saw someone on youtube and he had some tool to install that spring, but I can't find it anywhere
So you're saying it caused you heavy pressure behind the eyes?

Offline Lock-n-load

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
Mcarbo has a install video that uses needle nose pliers .quick and easy with floating trigger pin!

Offline Rmach

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
It's very easy to install with needle nose pliers. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:31:49 AM by Rmach »

anything