Author Topic: Fitting CZ-USA Front Fiber Optic Sight  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Tangram 37

Fitting CZ-USA Front Fiber Optic Sight
« on: June 05, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
Angus,

I've got a sight fiber optic front sight on the way.  I understand that the sight needs to be cut so the roll pin fits through.  If true do you have any tips?  Drill size?  Drill press or free hand? and so on.

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:48:59 PM »
I drive out the front sight pin first with a pointed punch then witha  parallel punch then drift out the old sight.
I Carefully drift in the new FS.
With the assembly in a vice. I hold the FS in place with a dowel and use a No 49 drill bit in the dremel and push this carefully though the fs hole, whilst holding the sight in place with the dowel. The with a flat punch punch the pin back into the hole.
make sense?
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline Tangram 37

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:45:54 PM »
Seems straight forward. (I have said that before and the job turned into a pain in the rear.)

Get a #49 bit
Drive the roll pin out
Drift old sight out forward
Drift new sight in -- got an aluminium drift
Holding sight in place drill hole through sight with #49 bit
Drive in roll pin

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 08:08:50 AM »
The simplified version yes should be that simple
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline Tangram 37

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:46:09 PM »
OK. I fitted one of the fiber optic front sights.  I chose to use Angus's drill method.  Overall it went smoothly.  Here are a few comments for what they are worth.  

It is really useful to have a good vise to secure the slide-padded jaws or in my case added padding to a workmate table.

I am not sure if the roll pin is tapered one but my pistols was not full seated on one side so I drove it out in that direction-noting the direction for the pins return trip.  

Removing the sight and sliding the new one in place (with a wooden drift) was easy.  Good idea to note where the old sight set in the slide.  There's no doubt then that the new sight is in place.

I carefully drilled through the roll pin hole.  Since the drill just notches the bottom of the sight it would be easy to snap the drill off.  Be alert and back off instantly if it shows signs of binding.  I chose to drill instead of filing a notch because I thought I'd get a better index. (With careful file work I am not sure that is true.)

For some reason getting the roll pin started back into the new sight took a little fussing.  Debur the roll pin if you raised a edge driving it out.  Drifting the roll pin and drilling are where having a good vise is useful.

Remember to  protect the finish from a slipped pin punch.  Even one layer of masking tape will help.

Anyone else have comments?  

No expertise claimed above just my experiences in fitting this sight.

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:20:54 PM »
SOunds just like how I do it. These things are always easier after the 50th time. Salutations to all those who are willing to ty.
I am not scared of metal or plastic and a small ding never hurt anyone.

PS you can save a lot of mone too :D
Angus Duhhhh!

anything