Author Topic: SS Rod After a Period of Service.  (Read 168895 times)

Offline excheck

Re: SS Rod After a Period of Service.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:14 PM »
SS guide rod:
Here is the answer from CZ-custom.

I forwarded the message to Eric my gunsmith. It looks fine to him. Nothing to concern yourself about.

Rob Bagnato

Ghost Products/CZ Custom

*  To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Offline badge38

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
 excheck ......  that pistol is a beauty !   ;)
Sig Sauer 225, Equinox 220
Ed Brown  Massad Ayoob 1911
S&W M&P 9c, 642 Airweight

Offline Vickg818

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
I sent a email to Mike Engleshield regarding SS rods to see if there would be a problem with my gun. His reply was the gun should work fine just get some Wolff recoil springs and you will be ok.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 05:16:23 PM »
Those that have the rod problem - does your rod have the dimple like the plastic rod that keeps it centered?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:28:31 PM by larryflew »
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »
I ran a SS rod in my old P-01, but have to admit that I didn't shoot it much before
finances dictated that I sell some of my CZs.

At the time I sold it. The inside showed no signs of wear.

Note that it was a Bedair Machine Works guide rod with the dimple in the end.

Steve just sent me a P-01 and also a PRC guide rod.

I hope to test them out soon.

He offers guide rods for many pistols out there, not just for CZs.

www.Guiderod.com

junkit

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
Will the Bedair SS rod work with the factory recoil spring in the P-01?

Thanks

Offline cz75luver

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:54 AM »
Yes, the Bedair SS guide rod will work with the factory spring, but I changed mine to a Wolff spring.  I've also installed a buffer for GP's with no issues.

I'm running the Bedair SSGR, but have only done about 50 rounds with it.  I didn't see any wear, but 50 isn't much.  It's hard to say what would be causing the wear, but I'm not sure it's the spring.  The spring never comes into contact with the area that seems to be affected.  Also, it's hard to tell by the pictures, but it almost seems like the edges are the parts being worn.  That doesn't seem possible without the GR pivoting and wearing in other areas more.  The GR fits into the channel and really doesn't move all that much and remains relatively straight.  It would be nice if there were pictures of before and after several thousand rounds with the SS GR.

Another post mentioned that if there were this much wear between a hard and soft object, if the plastic guide rod were being used, wouldn't it be the one to wear out?  That doesn't seem to happen though.

Offline RAMI

• VIETNAM VET
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »
Given the fact that CZ, (the Manufacturer) tells us not to use a metal guide rod in alloy frame guns, and given that the P-01, when torture tested by NATO, was done so with a standard plastic (polymer?) guide rod and the pistol passed all the tests with flying colors, then my question is simple...WHY CHANGE IT TO A METAL ROD?
"REVOLUTIONARY WAR IS AN ANTITOXIN WHICH NOT ONLY ELIMINATES THE EMEMY'S POISON BUT ALSO ALLOWS US TO PURGE OUR OWN FILTH."

Offline eric0424

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »
Given the fact that CZ, (the Manufacturer) tells us not to use a metal guide rod in alloy frame guns, and given that the P-01, when torture tested by NATO, was done so with a standard plastic (polymer?) guide rod and the pistol passed all the tests with flying colors, then my question is simple...WHY CHANGE IT TO A METAL ROD?

For me it was... BECAUSE I F'n FELT LIKE IT!! ;D  Some feel it reduces muzzle flip due to the added weight, others believe it reduces the time needed for a follow-up shot.  Still others claim it helped them with accuracy.  You can take your pick from these or look for other answers on the web, I'm sure there's more somewhere.  I don't think there was any real concrete evidence on any of them.

However I should point out mine was installed in a stainless 75B and not an alloy frame pistol.  And considering my TZ75 built back in the mid 80's has had one from day one, I don't think it will be too much of a problem in my CZ.  I will definitely keep my eyes on that location though.

For those who already have or those who want to avoid the damage and would still like to use the stainless rod you may want to consider a nylon, delrin or polyurethane pad behind the guide rod. 

How thick is the head portion on the guide rods some of you guys are using??  Just curious.  The Bedair rod I have measures .120" and the factory plastic measures .113" at the head where the spring is seated.  The guide rod pictured in post #4 looks pretty thin in that area, maybe .075-085".  Anyone want to throw a set of dial calipers on there??

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »

Nato didn't torture test this or any other gun.  The NAto markings is an inventory number.  Nato appies numbers to the kits of all Nato members.   What you are reading is a whole lot of marketing from CZ USA.  I guess it works because a lot of folks actually believe it.  The Czech police ran internal test but Nato most certainly didn't.

Take Care

Bob
ps I won a PCR and several other CZ pistols so this isn't CZ bashing.
Je Suis Charlie

Offline dlff

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
I believe the SP01 Shadow has a steel frame & slide. So using a s. steel guide rod should not pose a problem. You can get those buffer from Buffertech specially made for CZ to reduce the impact. They are not cheap. I think is $9.95 per piece & it does not last long. www.buffertech.com  Thank you.

Offline Sonny

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

From a comfort-level, I would prefer to see a metal guide rod, but since the "plastic" guide rod passed all the tests, I guess that I will have to revise my thinking to more modern times. I realize that many frames these days are "plastic," much less just the guide rod.
Sonny

Offline boingo

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
After reading this thread, I decided to call CZ U.S.A. and order a polymer rod since I did not have one (never did...traded for the gun from my brother who had put in a SS rod and so far cannot find the original plastic rod).  Well to my surprise, I was told right away without asking that they were out of the metal rods.  I double-checked that he was talking about metal rods for the P-01 and the rep confirmed that he was.  I asked how much they were selling them for and he said, $18 for the metal rod and $5 for the polymer ($9 shipping), but they were out of the metal ones.  I went ahead and ordered the polymer rod just for the hell of it (along with a spring for another $5).

But anyway...so yeah.  I believe CZ sells metal rods for the P01 now...

Offline boingo

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
Just got back from the range with my P-01 and my LCP.  I installed the plastic rod CZ USA sent me with the round recoil spring which came with the SS rod I had in there.  The plastic rod was solid and seems durable...there was no weird bending I have read so much about.  Anyway, it shot flawlessly 100 rounds of 115gr Fiochi FMJ's and felt so nice...especially compared the LCP which just wants to jump out of your hand (I also just so happened to install an extra power 12# spring in the LCP, but that is another story).

Moral of the story: I'm keeping the plastic rod in for now.  I'm all for steel rods almost every time, but I just feel more comfortable with the plastic in this one.

Offline ausher

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
Ok I notice some guys have a problem with the ss guide rod pushing metal back in the frame where the guide rod sits in. Wouldn't rounding off the sharp edge of the guide rod keep this from happening?  I got one of steve bedairs guide rods and was going to take it to work and chuck it up in the lathe and round off the back side with the dimple of the rod.  Do I need  a ss guide rod?  No, but it gives me somthing to tinker with.

ok here is what i did to the ss guide rod for anyone who is interested.  this should eliminate any possible scraping on the frame from the ss guide rod.

hope it helps :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:37:09 AM by ausher »