Author Topic: P-06 Recoil Solution  (Read 22773 times)

ClarkstonCZ

P-06 Recoil Solution
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
I've been having some recoil control problems with my new P-06 for a couple of months now.

The factory 165 and 180s in FMJ form seem all right, but much more than a P-01.
Switching over to Double Tap Ammo becomes a real task for me.

The ammo is hot and the P-06 is much lighter than my Witness 10mm or my two .40
caliber CZs of old.

Seeking the advice of an old friend who has garnered a great reputation for his products
in our industry.

THIS arrived on Saturday.

Myself, having used the Bedair Machine Work's stainless steel guide rods before.
Know that they really do 3 things well.

1.  Add a sturdier platform for your CZs recoil spring.
Note:
After 20 years of messing with CZs.
I've learned that while the stock guide rods are mostly plastic, or  of a shorter variety in steel.

Most people don't trust the plastic versions and are soon looking to replace such with that they think (as do I) with a superior guide rod.

2. The heavier Bedair Rod adds weight to your gun and gives it a muzzle heavy feel.
Some old timers have told me that you know when you have a good handgun, when it's
muzzle heavy.

I don't know what thruth there is in that statement,  but you can feel your gun being heavier in front, if not exactly the muzzle.

3. Reduced Recoil and Improved Accuracy..

Maybe not 100% of the time, but in my case with each gun I've installed a Bedair rod in.

I get reduced muzzle climb/recoil and a result of  improved accuracy.

Using my Double Tap 9mm +P and Cor-Bon ammo in a Bedair equipped gun is like shooting hardball in a normal CZ... or at least thats what it feels like.

I've also found that I'm much more accurate with the exact same load after installing a Bedair rod.

So, with  those attributes listed..
My hope is that I can tame my .40's snappy recoil some.

I don't know if it will hurt it to run with the stock spring, and some CZ gurus
might tell you.

My experience with the Bedair Rods from Steve (in the past) have been very positive.

The dimple that he puts on his rods seem to keep the rod from shifting and eventually
digging on your gun.

This will be my 6th rod from him over the past 5 years or so.

No problems to report  and I've never heard of any from the people that I've sold guns to with his rods installed.

He is also well know in the SIG and Beretta communities for his guide rods.

Should you need some recoil control or not fully trust the factory rod in your gun.

I'm sure that he has is a solution for you.

Steve's website calls his products:

"Custom Stainless Steel Guide / Recoil Rods"

Whether for a guide rod update or recoil control, or
accuracy requirements..
I call them simply fantastic!

More information:

http://www.guiderod.com
http://www.doubletapammo.com
http://www.crimsontrace.com
http://www.cz-usa.com
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:09:49 PM by ClarkstonCZ »

Offline 1boredguy

Re: P-06 Recoil Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »
how does the recoil feel in comparison to the DPM Systems recoil rod and spring?

nice photos.

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
Hi There.

I've never tried the DPM.

Know that the Bedair Rod is only $25.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
Steve is good guy to work with. He makes steel rods for my SP01 and I love them.

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
Some people have said that CZ gunsmiths advise against the steel rods in alloy framed guns.

I think that with any accessory, you should do your research..

IF there is a problem with the Bedair rods, I think that customers would be speaking up.

I've personally never seen any ill effects in my guns used with his rods.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
Just curious if this helped? Always looking for ways to improve & at that price I don't see how you could go wrong.

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
I uerstand you have a lot of experience but your grip looks like it could use some work. That should help.

Offline BillZ

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »
That's the "Steven Seagal" grip.  Saw him using it the other day on his TV show.

ClarkstonCZ

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
With my advanced Fibromyalgia (www.fibromyalgia.com) these days. That the least painful grip i can manage.

I do hope that the new rod can tame the muzzle climb.

I worked for my P-01 and other CZs in the past.

Waiting on some new ammo..then I'll report my results.

Offline BillZ

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
Purchased the rod a couple weeks ago and it works perfectly.  Might be my imagination, but groups seem to be smaller ;D  Steve is a great guy and his rods are a work of art.

Offline Rowe-75

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
I would like a new guide-rod for my 75b, simply to support the recoil spring better, I'm worried that the guide-rod is actually rubbing on the inside of the recoil spring when firing... I would have to drill a hole in a 1/1,000 model 75b and that just isn't going to happen!!!

-Jeremy
75b 9mm Para
2075 Rami .40
P06 .40
VZ2008 7.62x39

Offline Mike C

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
Purchased the rod a couple weeks ago and it works perfectly.  Might be my imagination, but groups seem to be smaller ;D  Steve is a great guy and his rods are a work of art.

I agree! I ordered mine yesterday & am looking forward to trying it out!

Offline Mike C

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
Got it yesterday. Went to the range today & it does seem to reduce the "flip" I am very pleased & would recommend it! Seems to be the best $25.00 I've spent on a gun.

Offline boingo

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:37 AM »
I don't have a P-06, but I do have a P-01.  One of the problems with putting a steel rod in the 01 was that it could damage the alloy frame where the base of the rod sets.  I had a steel rod and noticed the beginnings of this (minor, but not a lot of rounds had gone through it with the steel rod).  So I ordered a new plastic rod from CZ and put it in.  Since the alloy frame is softer than the steel of the rod, I don't have a problem with the plastic rod...it works just fine.

There's a whole thread about this issue in the P-01 pages.

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
 I used to shoot IPSC since 1980. Stopped due to some rather complicated Company policy (another story).  I've shot more 1911s than anything else.  "Back in the day" we all went to FLGR mainly for (2) reasons.  1) We were routinely using 20,22, 0r 24lb recoil springs.  These had the tendency to "bunch up" and move around inside the dust cover.  The conventional reasoning of the day was some energy was being lost when the recoil spring was off axis. 2) The added weight to the Front End of the gun helped hold the muzzle down.  This was enhanced by the use of Tungsten FLGR and Tungsten Reverse Plugs. The downside to the FLGR was Field Stripping, breakage, Plug Breakage.  You always kept a Factory Plug and Guide Rod in your box, just in case.  Furthermore, no more "press check".  I agree with the other posters regarding wear on Alloy Frames. The FLGR was a problem with Commanders, but not on Combat Commanders.
  On a CZ I don't see where there would be enough mass added by a FLGR, even a Tungsten,  to help keep the Muzzle down.  It would, if, the Guide Rod was say, 5/16" in diameter.  Perhaps some of the CZ applications are running increased strength recoil springs. But, why add extra weight to an Alloy Gun?  Buy a Steel framed Compact???? I still haven't "got" the idea of a Metal FLRG in a CZ.  I have never had a Plastic Guide Rod fail in my CZs. YMMV

anything