Author Topic: Show off your refinished CZ-82  (Read 134585 times)

Offline jpjames

Re: Show off your refinished CZ-82
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
I finally did mine!  I stripped off the old, nasty paint and blued it.  Turned out great!

Offline danwdooley

• Dooley's Treasure Chest
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
For those of you who have stripped and refinished your own, what did you use for a degreaser?
Dan,

Yes, the CZ-82 is my favorite gun.  :-)

Offline wecsprgen

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
Dan,

It really wasn't too bad. I used the air cure Cerakote. Just blast it, degrease it, bake it at 200deg for 2hrs, spray it and let it cure for 5 days. I used acetone for the degreaser.

The grips are for the CZ82/CZ83. I did have to do some sanding on the back to get them to fit. CZ USA had them on sale for $25 or so.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:19:39 PM by wecsprgen »

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »
Thanks.  I thought about doing the Cerakote treament and someday I may try that on a gun but I've pretty much decided on rust bluing on this one.  I've been intriqued with the bluing process and I really like the look of a good bluing surface.  It will be a few weeks before I actually start the project.  Right now I'm just compiling the list of items needed for the project and as I've not yet fired the gun.  I had intended to try it at the range this Saturday but found that I had to order ammo on line so it won't be here in time.   :-\

Dan,

Offline dedmouse

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
refinished mine this past weekend...it'll do for now :)

I'll be ordering some wood grips in the next few weeks when I decide what kind of wood I want. I might even attempt to carve my own.

Offline tfrey

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
I just stumbled upon this forum as I am looking to refinish my CZ as well.  LOVE the looks of your pistol BigK.  What is that cerakote color on the frame?

Thanks!
-tfrey

I had originally stripped mine with Jasco and a wire wheel then cold-blued it a year or so ago. It looked better, but the Marschal grips looked like lipstick on a pig. So, I went with a 2-tone Cerakote finish and some Beretta mag bases. It's now the prettiest gun I own.

Offline BigK

• Silence is golden...duct tape is silver.
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
I just stumbled upon this forum as I am looking to refinish my CZ as well.  LOVE the looks of your pistol BigK.  What is that cerakote color on the frame?

Thanks!
-tfrey

Thanks for the kind words, tfrey.

Please forgive the poor lighting in the previous pics, it's actually supoosed to be Stainless Steel colored Cerakoting. In flourescent light it has odd greenish hue sometimes. Here's a pic of it taken with a better camera:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:33:27 PM by BigK »
The U.S. Constitution: frustrating liberals since 1789.

Offline CoalTrain73

• Texas Panhandle
Show off your refinished CZ-82
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
That's gotta be the best looking 82 I've seen yet!   Awesome job!
CZ40B,  CZ82,  + some other Babies

Offline Warpspasm

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
Just got mine back from Mahovsky's today. It's the hard chrome Metalife finish. He does a great job and his price is excellent, considering he does the whole dis-assembly and re-assembly. Now I have a nice set. I can pick either dark or light, depending upon my mood.

CZ-82 Refinished by HolyCrap, on Flickr
Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

CZ 24, CZ 52, CZ 82 (2), CZ 75B, Pre-B, P-09, P-01 UG, Shadow 2, Kadet upper, 455 Tacticool, 912 12ga, Scorpion Carbine - Still need a CZ 38 & CZ 70

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, tfrey.

Please forgive the poor lighting in the previous pics, it's actually supoosed to be Stainless Steel colored Cerakoting. In flourescent light it has odd greenish hue sometimes. Here's a pic of it taken with a better camera:

BigK, those are beautiful grips.  I'm not convinced I like the finger grooves but that's just my taste and beside the point.  The wood grain is beautiful and something I'm considering adding to mine once my refinishing project is out of the way.

My question is, compared to the original factory plastic grips, how do the new ones affect the fit and feel of the gun?  For that matter, do you find that the finger grooves offer any particular handling advantage other than appearance?  If you carry the gun concealed, do the new grips add any bulk or present any particular disadvantage for concealed purposes?
Dan,

Offline BigK

Show off your refinished CZ-82
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »
BigK, those are beautiful grips.  I'm not convinced I like the finger grooves but that's just my taste and beside the point.  The wood grain is beautiful and something I'm considering adding to mine once my refinishing project is out of the way.

My question is, compared to the original factory plastic grips, how do the new ones affect the fit and feel of the gun?  For that matter, do you find that the finger grooves offer any particular handling advantage other than appearance?  If you carry the gun concealed, do the new grips add any bulk or present any particular disadvantage for concealed purposes?

Marschal grips seem pretty popular judging by the pics in this thread. With the obvious exception of the thumb-rest (optional  BTW), I think they're about the same thickness and weight. The finger grooves make them look bulkier than they really are.

There may be a barely noticeable amount of added palm swell. Also, they may be a little thinner on the edges between the finger grooves. For me, these 2 things make it easier to acquire the best grip from the draw.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:53:29 AM by BigK »

Offline Moose458

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
Just got mine back from Mahovsky's today. It's the hard chrome Metalife finish. He does a great job and his price is excellent, considering he does the whole dis-assembly and re-assembly. Now I have a nice set. I can pick either dark or light, depending upon my mood.

Great looking pair, you must be pleased with the way they turned out.

Offline BigK

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »

I can't believe how awesome that hard chrome looks with the wood grips. When I get another, that's exactly what I'm gonna do with it!

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

A great looking pair.  I will make mine blue.  I'm in the process of doing the rust blue project.  The paint is removed and the parts to be blued are now polished.  By next week I hope to have the rust bluing part done or at least in progress.

The wood grips on the chrome one.  Who are they from?  I like those a lot and will be looking for something like that for mine.
Dan,

Offline Warpspasm

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Thanks guys. The wood grips are from http://www.grips4u.net/  They were only $55, which I thought was a pretty good price.
Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

CZ 24, CZ 52, CZ 82 (2), CZ 75B, Pre-B, P-09, P-01 UG, Shadow 2, Kadet upper, 455 Tacticool, 912 12ga, Scorpion Carbine - Still need a CZ 38 & CZ 70