Author Topic: What's your survival knife?  (Read 105121 times)

Offline atn729

Re: What's your survival knife?
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
My favorite survival knife is a Busse BWM (Bush Whacker Battle Mistress). Second would be a himalayan imports Ang Khola Kukri in the 16 inch length. Third would be a Koster Knives Survivor.

My EDC is a Gen II ZT 550. It is the nicest pocket knife I have ever owned. The HI Kukri rides in my car at all times and the busse is attached to my BOB.

Offline Franc

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Went to Sweden ( southern part Smoland ) for 10 days and took this home: 

https://shopping.howei.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1009

I saw it in a small village in the local hardwarestore for only $ 13,- So I bought three, one for me and the other two as a gift for my brother and best friend.
You can get them in the most crazy colours, so there easy to find when you lose one.
I prefer black.
So if you evere go to Sweden, by a lot, and enjoy the scenery while you're there, it's beautiful
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:28:35 PM by Franc »
Si vis pacem para bellum

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
Inland .30 M1
FN Trombone .22

Offline zze86

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Just picked up a Gerber/Baer Grylls Ultimate Survival Pro knife. Gotta say this is a NICE knife and sheath system though I'm already planning a few mods to the sheath to add a few more items.

Offline osageorange

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Air Force Survival knife with a sharpening stone, leather sheath and paracord tie-downs.

Offline snapshot762

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:12 AM »
For EDC i carry a Benchmade 710, best folder i have owned been carrying one for over ten years and on my second one. For a survival knife i'd take my ESEE 6 any day of the week with my ESEE 4 as a second choice. Good high carbon steel with an exellent heat treatment, holds a good edge and resharpens easily. TOUGH knives with a no B.S. warranty.

AdamSmith22134

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
How do you upload a photo image from your p/c to post it here?

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2013, 11:11:12 PM »
Adam,

Either upload you photo to a service like Photobucket, from which you can post it here, or find a photo of your knife online elsewhere, from which you can post it here.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

AdamSmith22134

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2013, 01:51:14 AM »
I use this one as my 24/7 go-everywhere self defense blade:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/26ASTX/6_TI-LITE_ALUMINUM_HANDLE.aspx

And as a utility I use this one for everything else:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_807567_-1_757864_757853_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

The Kaliforniya CCP is a lot like the UK in that there are no Open Carry rights for firearms here, and your access to CCW permits is almost nonexistent.  Therefore like in the UK, knife crime is quite prevalent in California.

Ergo you need to be armed somehow wherever you go.

I was on a subway train here on one occasion where two guys held an entire train car hostage while they beat the crap out of another guy presumably for some infraction against them.  They used knives.

I would have love to have had my trusty CZ 97B with me that day, illegal or not.

I would have blown them both away, then took off without waiting for a congratulatory salute from the local worthless sheriff.

In the case of a crowd shooting like that, since I already know someone is going to whine about this, when you shoot you always need to be aware of your target, the backstop behind the target, the area around the target, and the space between you and the target.

Therefore normally to take a shot in a crowd situation, you need to get down on one knee, and shoot UP at your target, so the bullet continues after it hits the target to fly off into the sky above and less likely into another passenger.

They teach you that in a self defense shooting class.  Hopefully everyone will get a chance to take these kinds of classes.

Be prepared. ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:00:39 AM by AdamSmith22134 »

Offline Zeroselect

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
My main heavy duty survival knife is a Buck Thug.

My light duty survival knife is a Mora Bushcraft Black resharpened to remove the bevel and made into a real scani blade.

Offline md02geist

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »
Has anyone tried an ESEE knife? I have been looking hard at them lately and they seem to be the cat's meow. Just wondered what someone else might think about them

They are *amazing* blades, and the warranty simply cannot be beat.

My ESEE 6 is my favorite knife that I own. I have three of them lol.

I would not hesitate to recommend them. They cost around the same as SOG type knives but having had seal pups and the like I promise you these are superior.

Offline md02geist

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
Thanks Skookum. I really the looks of the ESEE line and everyting I have seen or read has very positive things to say about them. Not sure how they hold an edge though.

they do fine. They use 1095 steel, which is a well known good steel for knives and the like. It is known to be extremely strong and to hold a good edge, and to be relatively easy to sharpen.

The one downside of it is that it is known to be prone to rust if not taken care of. (of course, most all blades will)

That's a good part of why they put the coating on it. It's easy enough to strip off with some paint thinner.

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2015, 05:03:10 AM »
Finnish Puuko.

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -