Author Topic: how do i remove MINOR rust?  (Read 3927 times)

Unregistered(d)

how do i remove MINOR rust?
« on: November 17, 2003, 12:30:56 PM »
I just got to take my cz 52 home(bleep those 10 days!) and i noticed that lots of the gun has a very THIN layer of rust on it.  Nothing easy to see, but when under strong light, i notice a light brown/red tint.  When scrubbing "extra" hard with my gun wipes, I get a little of the rust to come off, but not enough.

what do i do?!

thanks a lot guy.

p.s.- i just ordered my 16.5 return spring for my cz, and the guy a makarov was VERY helpful and kind.  Look forward to doing buisness with again.   :]

Offline skucera

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 11:44:16 PM »
Sometimes the phosphate gray guns will have a faint rusty haze on them.  Mine was like this when I got it in 1997, and the first time I cleaned it I oiled up the phosphate coating and had reddish-brown patches afterward.  I've never liked the idea of letting phosphate protect the metal alone, without oils, but some guys do this, I hear.

Oddly, after years of oiling my pistol's exterior, it can sometimes look almost black now instead of that odd phosphate greenish gray.  A fresh coat of oil (and wiping off the excess) usually brightens up the gray again.  Like in a car's motor, gun oil can oxydize when it's protecting a gun in the gun safe for months on end, and it gets darker over time.  Better that this oxydization happens to the oil than to the finish on the gun.

Scott

Zophocles

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 12:32:28 PM »
Break Free CLP works well. Wipe it on generously, let it sit overnight. Wipe it off, shazaam!

Patroon1

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:38:22 PM »
sloblu:
May i recommend a product that works very satisfactory with all my weapons problems regarding rust removal,nipple loosening,screw loosen and a myriad of other annoying problems.
Look it over it is known as Aero-Kroil
Contact them at:WWW.KANOLABS.COM
It's great stuff:smokin :eek

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 07:50:05 PM »
thanks guys.

I guess i'll try the aerokroil.  Now, you get a free can of your choice with any purchase.

I will get the liquid aerokoil i guess???????

And get the free can of the aerosol stuff????

Sound right?  It won't damage my blue finish will it?????

thanks a lot!!!

Offline Makarovcom

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 01:40:06 PM »
Kroil is excellent stuff.  It's especially good for loosening pins, parts, and Makarov barrels.  :-)  It's a true pentrating oil, as opposed to WD-40.

You may need to use very fine steel wool on the finish if you've gotten some minor pitting.  Don't forget to finish off with some good oil like CLP (we've got some if you need it).  

In the long run, you might consider getting it refinished.  For small spots of bare metal, you can use 44/40 cold blue (we've got that too).

-Karl

anything